Question gpu spikes

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
I have a rtx 3070 with ryzen 5 5600x and 32gb ddr4 3600mhz ram
and i am getting gpu spikes from 0 to 100 now and then even if i am not playing (just using the desktop.)
it usually goes many minutes between them.
Is this normal behavior? Also some games I run have stutters, usually just small stutters and the games are playable
and some games work smooth. I have also noticed these gpu spikes on another PC i had and wonder if this is normal behavior for PC?
Also might it be MSI Afterburner causing it?
I have run memtest86 also without any errors. and tried LatencyMON while playing a game but the result were fine.
//

Last edited:
Ive just ran it and get a similar result with the RAM latency, I dont think that's the problem,(but could be wrong?) Do you have the GPU plugged directly into the slot or are you using a riser cable or anything similar? Forgot to ask but are your graphics drivers up to date?

Reactions: shadowcat777

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
Drivers are up to date and i did also a DDU before.
I did not put this PC together, i bought it via the internet.
They put it together and they are a known business here where i live. I also do not know how to do that
//

Drivers are up to date and i did also a DDU before.
I did not put this PC together, i bought it via the internet.
They put it together and they are a known business here where i live. I also do not know how to do that
//
Try running the userbenchmark with no other program running. MSI afterburner tends to mess with the userbenchmark not showing the GPU.

Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers, windows updates and to try again DDU in safe mode. Also scan your system for malware.

By the way do not trust task manager for GPU usage. Use other monitoring software

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
Try running the userbenchmark with no other program running. MSI afterburner tends to mess with the userbenchmark not showing the GPU.

Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers, windows updates and to try again DDU in safe mode. Also scan your system for malware.

By the way do not trust task manager for GPU usage. Use other monitoring software
I closed MSI Afterburner and get this !
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47691187
thanks alot :)

Added: The gpu spikes from 0 to 100 i have noticed on another desktop PC i have and a PC i had before too.
I do not think that i have any malware, i have run windows defender and sometimes also malwarebytes

Would you recommend that i do not use MSI Afterburner?
= can it cause more lag in games?

regards,
SC777

Reactions: kurdtnz

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
No, MSI afterburner is in the vast majority of cases perfectly fine but userbenchmark does not get along with it.

A scan with Malwarebytes once per month is good practice just to be sure you have a clean system.

If the spikes are shown on task manager, disregard them completely. The game stutters are another issue though.
Some say to me that the stutters are normal. It is that games are not well optimized and maybe neither is the operative system
all systems are different and different games will work better or worse.
But it would be nice to get rid of them, yeah. Usually the stutters are very small like 0,1-2 second stutter.
Would it be a good idea to turn in the PC anyway for troubleshooting since i have this problem however?
Yet some games does not have any stutters at all for me.
//

Some say to me that the stutters are normal. It is that games are not well optimized and maybe neither is the operative system
all systems are different and different games will work better or worse.
They are correct. Not even exact same setups will perform the same and when you take account that most games are now online, you have to consider also the internet speed, the server quality, the distance from that server, the load on it, etc...
But it would be nice to get rid of them, yeah. Usually the stutters are very small like 0,1-2 second stutter.
Can you record the stutters in a video and upload it so we can see what's happening and if it is considered within the normal range?

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
They are correct. Not even exact same setups will perform the same and when you take account that most games are now online, you have to consider also the internet speed, the server quality, the distance from that server, the load on it, etc...

Can you record the stutters in a video and upload it so we can see what's happening and if it is considered within the normal range?
I had someone watch when i played Valheim and he told me that it wasnt bad at all, that accordingly to him valheim worked smoothly
there are some small drops in it. but i think its the game.
Witcher 3 wild hunt has mini drops as well. Black desert online became better when i used very high settings
Gloriva victis had a little stutters too
Rust was the game with the most stutters and choppy game feeling but it also worked smooth, then it came to lag a little again
(But completely playable.)
CS GO also has mini drops at the beginning of the game then it works smoothly after like a minute or so.
I had another gaming PC before and had similar "drop" problem on that PC. I turned it in for troubleshooting and they told me
they couldnt find any problem with it. however many games has alot less drops with my current system.
Or no drops at all.

I have notice now on my 2 pc at home that they have the same kind of "bug"
the gpu spikes to 100 happens when i am closing a browser. especially.
That's how it's supposed to be. It's not a bug. You are using the GPU constantly. The 100% you see is not 100% of the full GPU performance, it's 100% of the low power state clocks it's running when you closed the browser. That may translate to 1% of it's potential.

I told you before, DO NOT TRUST task manager when it comes to GPU usage.

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
That's how it's supposed to be. It's not a bug. You are using the GPU constantly. The 100% you see is not 100% of the full GPU performance, it's 100% of the low power state clocks it's running when you closed the browser. That may translate to 1% of it's potential.

I told you before, DO NOT TRUST task manager when it comes to GPU usage.
ok thank you^^

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
btw i fixed the mini-lag (microstutters) with some games by capping fps with riva tuner
and using gsync. it seem to make some games alot smoother,
other games which i play that has stutters even so, like Ring of elysium,
is plainly just badly optimized games. however still high fps at high
settings and clearly playable

Reactions: dotas1