[SOLVED] GPU still getting a Code 43 after fresh OS install, and even a DDU and driver reinstall

Oct 9, 2021
Hi folks,

I made a new account in hopes to get a different perspective on the issue. 2 days ago, I got an error 43 on my GPU (980Ti). Device Manager would show that the device has stopped due to this error. dxdiag also tells me the same thing. Initially, after scouring the internet about this code, it seemed like a GPU issue. I am at a complete loss on what else I could do or test. Here are my system specs:

CPU: Ryzen 3700X
Cooler: Noctua U12S Chromax
GPU: EVGA 980Ti SC+
RAM: GSkill Trident Z 32gb (2x 16)
MOBO: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite (F35)
PSU: EVGA 850W P2 Platinum

Here are things I've done:
  • DDU in safe mode, and reinstalled drivers from Nvidia choosing the 980Ti. Did not work.
  • Clean install of Windows 10 and installing drivers from Nvidia + AMD Chipset drivers. Did not work.
  • Clean install again, DDU'd it, and installed the drivers. Did not work.
  • Updated BIOS to F35 and reset ALL bios settings to defaults as well. Cleared CMOS, and reinstalled Windows 10 AGAIN + DDU + driver reinstall of Nvidia and AMD chipsets. Did not work.
  • Tried the 980Ti in another system with an i5 4690 with DDR3 RAM and a 650W PSU, it worked in that system. No Error code 43 in that system that was known to be working fine.
  • DDU'd + reinstalled drivers to the GTX 770 + tried the GTX 770 from that other system (which was working fine), and I got an error code 43 in my own system. Did not work.
  • Tried my old B450-F Asus motherboard which supports Ryzen 3000. Note that I've used this with my 3700x without any issues months ago. GPU still displayed Error 43.
  • For everything mentioned above, I made sure all Windows updates were installed in everything above. Did not work.
Now that I eliminated the GPU from the equation, because it works perfectly fine in the other system... Hence why I did not even consider flashing the VBIOS. I wanted to check other components. I feel like I am going insane at this point, but it was worth a shot:
  • Changed RAM from another system. My brother has RAM that was known to be working and stable. Tried each stick individually and both. GPU still showed Error 43
  • Tried Two other PSUs (EVGA 1000W, and an EVGA 650W). GPU still displayed Error 43.
  • Tried changing motherboard from X750 Aorus Elite to my brother's X570 Dark Hero (which is running perfectly fine with his 5900x). GPU still displayed Error 43.
  • Tried using all these changes at the same time together, with a fresh windows install, CMOS reset, BIOS settings to optimized defaults (even if I haven't touched them at all).
  • Changed CMOS battery.
  • Tried to install Windows 10 in a different harddrive, and used a different displays (known to be working with other systems), and their respective cables. GPU still displayed Error 43.
In short, I've ruled out the Mobo, PSU, RAM, SSD, GPU (again, from testing two different ones in my system and another system). Is it the CPU? I cannot think of any other reason because I've tried to use known functioning components and DDU'd so many times.

I know that I haven't tried my brother's 5900X in my system, but before he upgraded his Mobo the Dark Hero, he was using the 5900X in the system I am currently using without any issues.

I would love to hear things out before I actually reach out to AMD for a possible RMA request on a CPU, despite it being a display adapter issue... I'm not sure if I've gone insane.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Solution
CPU might have shot PCIe lanes, if one of them is faulty it might yield this result. To confirm - try using PCIe riser cable or card with just a few lanes (PCIe x4 instead of the full 16). If my assumption is correct the error would be gone and you can safely RMA the CPU. If the error stays, it might be some other stuff too...
Oct 9, 2021
Update:
  • I tried my brother's 3080 FE. It's also getting the same error code after a DDU and driver install.
  • Resorted to BIOS reflash. Still getting same error code after DDU and driver install.
  • Rolled back to an older version of windows 1909, and the one after it. Also used older GPU drivers.

I'm sure at this point, that it is not the GPU. I've already swapped RAM again, PSU, and motherboards (B450, back to the X570). No luck. the CPU is the only one that stayed constant through the entire thing.

CPU might have shot PCIe lanes, if one of them is faulty it might yield this result. To confirm - try using PCIe riser cable or card with just a few lanes (PCIe x4 instead of the full 16). If my assumption is correct the error would be gone and you can safely RMA the CPU. If the error stays, it might be some other stuff too...

Solution
Oct 9, 2021

Seems like that was the issue. Error is gone on the GTX 560 running at 4x). I did one last check on the CPU, and there are no bent pins or anything out of place. Thanks for the check!

RMAing the CPU is the next step. Hopefully this help help others in the future too.

Cheers everyone!

Oct 9, 2021
UPDATE:

We replaced the CPU with a brand new 5800X. The X570 motherboard, where the 3700x also failed, booted fine, and NO ERROR 43!

Is definitely confirmed as a CPU issue.

Thanks again @vov4ik_il for the perspective. Thanks as well to @kerberos_20 for suggesting other tests.

Cheers everyone.

SUMMARY: Code 43 came from CPU.

RAM, Mobo, GPU, PSU, cables, monitors, and storage devices were all ruled out by swapping from known working systems.

Last edited:
Reactions: vov4ik_il