Discussion GPU stops giving signal randomly and when pc boot

Jul 11, 2024
Hi so I'm having this strange problem of randomly the GPU loses signal the times it happens is when I'm not playing a video game or doing something graphicly intensive which doesn't make sense because it only happens when I'm watching YouTube or browsing the web my GPU fans stop spinning and the monitor loess signal however the rest of the pc is working completely fine and I can still hear sound from the YouTube video and unplugging the HDMI from the GPU and putting it back in does not work I have to hold the power button until my pc turns off and when I try to power back on the pc I get no signal so I have to power it off again then turn off psu and wait like 25 minuets and a few days ago I tried to keep the gpu in my motherboard but when I turned on my pc and no signal I tried to switch the HDMI from GPU to motherboard for integrated graphics somehow surprisingly I was getting signal so I decided to go to device manager and under display adapters I could only see my integrated graphics and not even showing my GPU (keep in mind the GPU was still in the pcie motherboard slot with the psu wire connected)

For the rest of the information please go to this google drive link toms hardware wont let me post the rest

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15IdYMLj_ZMBxzeHQhiLlO6_QQfbU_jdupB5lnNSPPU4/edit?usp=sharing

Solution
So I just swapped out the motherboard to another one and so far I am getting none of that no signal thing anymore so for me I think it was my pcie slot on the motherboard but if it happens again (Hopefully not) I will let you guys know

Lutfij

Titan
evga 500 w 80 plus psu
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-W1-0500-KR
Is this the unit you're currently working with? How old is the PSU in your build?

(it had crypto mining bios from previous user)
Your issue might very well be that the card was used for mining, that's the primary cause of ruining cards.

With all the updates you've performed, did you make sure to flash the BIOS on your motherboard to the latest version?

Jul 11, 2024
evga 500 w 80 plus psu
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-W1-0500-KR
Is this the unit you're currently working with? How old is the PSU in your build?

(it had crypto mining bios from previous user)
Your issue might very well be that the card was used for mining, that's the primary cause of ruining cards.

With all the updates you've performed, did you make sure to flash the BIOS on your motherboard to the latest version?
Yes that is my exact psu and yes I flashed my bios for my motherboard and GPU to the latest one the and rest of the info is the the google docs I couldn't send the whole thing because the website was saying I might be spamming

Jul 12, 2024
When u check device manager click on view and show hidden device. If ur GPU showing up, means the driver is still there. Try uninstalling it but keep the files when u ask. The restart. Next is see if ur GPU has a light indication and if it does check if the light is on, if it is then ur PSU is probably fine. Then maybe update ur bios, I see a lot of people with similar problem were fixed when they do that. Do extensive research before doing so, cuz I'm not tech savvy my self but it could potentially broke ur PC beyond repair if something goes wrong with the bios. And this is how I might've fixed my problem with GPU not being detected, I unplugged the GPU from the pcie and I notice there's 2 slots that was slightly off in the pcie slot on the mobo so I adjusted it with the toothpick and now the GPU is working fine, but I'm not 100% sure it is fixed yet cuz my problem has tendency go back after reboot seemingly at random times. Hope my experience would be any use to you

Reactions: Tony217
Jul 11, 2024
When u check device manager click on view and show hidden device. If ur GPU showing up, means the driver is still there. Try uninstalling it but keep the files when u ask. The restart. Next is see if ur GPU has a light indication and if it does check if the light is on, if it is then ur PSU is probably fine. Then maybe update ur bios, I see a lot of people with similar problem were fixed when they do that. Do extensive research before doing so, cuz I'm not tech savvy my self but it could potentially broke ur PC beyond repair if something goes wrong with the bios. And this is how I might've fixed my problem with GPU not being detected, I unplugged the GPU from the pcie and I notice there's 2 slots that was slightly off in the pcie slot on the mobo so I adjusted it with the toothpick and now the GPU is working fine, but I'm not 100% sure it is fixed yet cuz my problem has tendency go back after reboot seemingly at random times. Hope my experience would be any use to you
Thank you so much for your tips I will definitely try them but can you explain what you meant by bending back the pice with the toothpick like how should they look

Jul 12, 2024
Thank you so much for your tips I will definitely try them but can you explain what you meant by bending back the pice with the toothpick like how should they look
I really dunno what to call them, but when u unplug the GPU, just take a closer look at the pcie slot and I mean really thoroughly maybe put flashlight on it, see if you notice if there's something off. But in my case it was not culprit, the problem was back so maybe it was nothin. I'm doing clean install now and by that I mean resetting the PC. Setting-update&security-recovery-reset this pc-use cloud-clean install don't keep any personal files. And now the GPU is there again at least for now.

Jul 12, 2024
I really dunno what to call them, but when u unplug the GPU, just take a closer look at the pcie slot and I mean really thoroughly maybe put flashlight on it, see if you notice if there's something off. But in my case it was not culprit, the problem was back so maybe it was nothin. I'm doing clean install now and by that I mean resetting the PC. Setting-update&security-recovery-reset this pc-use cloud-clean install don't keep any personal files. And now the GPU is there again at least for now

Jul 11, 2024
I really dunno what to call them, but when u unplug the GPU, just take a closer look at the pcie slot and I mean really thoroughly maybe put flashlight on it, see if you notice if there's something off. But in my case it was not culprit, the problem was back so maybe it was nothin. I'm doing clean install now and by that I mean resetting the PC. Setting-update&security-recovery-reset this pc-use cloud-clean install don't keep any personal files. And now the GPU is there again at least for now.
Do you have a picture maybe so I can see what they should look like also I tried the reset pc and keep nothing few days ago

Jul 12, 2024
Can I also ask what is your gpu?
Currently my using rx 580 but when the problem started occuring I was still using GTX 970, I thought my GPU was faulty so I got another GPU but the problem still occur. So I knew then the problem is not the GPU.

You can check my post about the problem I'm having here:

Jul 11, 2024
Currently my using rx 580 but when the problem started occuring I was still using GTX 970, I thought my GPU was faulty so I got another GPU but the problem still occur. So I knew then the problem is not the GPU.

You can check my post about the problem I'm having here:
I using an rx 580 as well

Jul 11, 2024
So I just swapped out the motherboard to another one and so far I am getting none of that no signal thing anymore so for me I think it was my pcie slot on the motherboard but if it happens again (Hopefully not) I will let you guys know

Solution