Aug 31, 2021
My rig:
Motherboard - ASUS TUF gaming B550-PLUS
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600
PSU - Cougar CM1000 1000W
GPU - ASUS TUF gaming AMD Radeon 5600XT
RAM - HyperX [unsure] 16GB 2666 MHz
Drives - WD green 500GB HDD, Biostar 120GB SSD

Got a brand new HIKVision E3000 1TB NVMe SSD today. When I got home I switched my PC on as usual and played games for a while. Decided I wanted to just install the SSD and get it over with, so powered down, unplugged, and installed the SSD. Put everything back, and.... no monitor signal. sigh. So I started checking what's up.

PC posts with nothing on the motherboard except the essentials (my CPU does not have onboard graphics, so I plugged in my keyboard and the lights give me the signal that it works). Plugged the NVMe in alone, keyboard lights go on. Plug in the GPU, nothing. By nothing I don't mean completely dead either, everything lights up inside the case but no keyboard lights (thus no posting). Also note my motherboard does not beep, but it does have "Q-LED"s that light-up and stays lit when it finds an issue. Both times the light labelled "VGA" stayed lit - indicating a problem with it.

Took the SSD out and just had the GPU in (now it's in the same configuration as originally) and the same thing - everything lights, no post, VGA LED lit. Swapped GPUs with my roommate (has an MSI RTX2060 Ventus XS) and bam, system boots. Put my GPU in his rig (he has a smaller PSU than me), and his system does the same as mine - lights up, but doesn't boot. Disconnected all my drives, doesn't go into BIOS, reset CMOS, no change, VGA LED still on.

Is the GPU dead? pretty sure it's still under warranty but I mean.. works perfectly normally, then just stops working when I install an SSD and doesn't go back to working? idk.

Lutfij

Titan
Last edited:

NalevQT

Prominent
Aug 31, 2021
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-this-second-hand-motherboard-faulty.3765362/post-22710851
A 10 year old PSU is not something you'd want to have in your build.

It could very well be your GPU that's the culprit, perhaps double check with another donor system.

ASUS TUF gaming B550-PLUS
What BIOS version are you currently on? As for your room mate, what is the make and model of his motherboard, BIOS version for said motherboard and the PSU? Age of his PSU in the build?

Waiting for Black Friday this year to replace both my PSU and CPU.

Friend's PSU is brand new, less than 5 months, sitting at 700W I think. His motherboard is MSI x470 Gaming Plus. Both of us running the newest BIOS versions.

Lutfij

Titan
Waiting for Black Friday this year to replace both my PSU and CPU.
That's not far off from now.

Make and model? Any PSU can have a sticker on it that says XYZ watts, it's only by looking at a brand and the model whereby we identify said PSU to be an expensive paper weight or a solid chunk of money.