[SOLVED] GPU too weak for cpu

Solution
What happens when GPU is too weak for cpu? In cpu heavy games, does the cpu perform worse?

No, it doesn't. And it very much depends on the specific demands of the game.

For a CPU bound game, GPU performance is less of a concern. For a GPU bound game, CPU performance is less of a concern.

That doesn't mean that they are not concerns, at all, but unless the weakest link is SERIOUSLY unable to perform it's duties, as with some VERY old hardware like running a Core2duo with a newer graphics card, or a very old GPU card with a newer CPU, it's not going to make a major impact on that game so long as it IS primarily bound to the stronger component.

That being said, you pretty much always want to have the system be as balanced as...
What happens when GPU is too weak for cpu? In cpu heavy games, does the cpu perform worse?

No, it doesn't. And it very much depends on the specific demands of the game.

For a CPU bound game, GPU performance is less of a concern. For a GPU bound game, CPU performance is less of a concern.

That doesn't mean that they are not concerns, at all, but unless the weakest link is SERIOUSLY unable to perform it's duties, as with some VERY old hardware like running a Core2duo with a newer graphics card, or a very old GPU card with a newer CPU, it's not going to make a major impact on that game so long as it IS primarily bound to the stronger component.

That being said, you pretty much always want to have the system be as balanced as possible, because even within the same game there may definitely be occasions when greater use of one component or the other occurs depending on the circumstances in the game.

If it's a CPU bound game, then obviously you do not want your CPU to be the weakest link, because THEN, yes, you are going to see a lack of performance in that game that you would otherwise not see. That should be fairly obvious to anybody. Changes in some quality settings on primarily CPU bound games might reduce the demands however and allow a better and more enjoyable experience. Same as for lowering them in GPU bound games when you lack a strong graphics card.

Solution

Adas556

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017
In cpu heavy games, your computer will perform normal. For example a 2060 with a 10900K would be great for CSGO pros rather than a 10600K and a 2080 Super.

But in graphic heavy games like GTA, your GPU will hold your CPU back in performance
So to get more fps for csgo i should upgrade my cpu?

Adas556

Reputable
Jun 24, 2017
Swap the x4 950 for a Ryzen 3600, and upgrade the graphics card as well, when you are able to do so. Both are well below the minimum threshold we'd generally recommend for an entry level gaming system.
do i need bios update for new cpu upgrade? i don't know which generation my mobo supports ngl

tbf i only want to spend like ~150 euro on either gpu or cpu. Cause i mainly game like csgo so
Then this is probably the best option for you, to start with anyhow. But you have to realize that BOTH your CPU and graphics card are well below the minimum threshold for any actually enjoyable 1080p gaming on most popular or AAA games.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€163.79 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €163.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-19 20:17 CET+0100

When coming from an Athlon x4, pretty much ANY quad core CPU that's been released in the last three or four years is a tremendous upgrade, so while you might not NORMALLY make that recommendation for a gaming system, this might be a case where it could make sense, except that, right now, those 3200G and 3400G processors are selling for about 40% more than normal, which makes them a terrible idea.

The 3500x I recommended is a six core, relatively capable and pretty close to the target budget. Considering that you wouldn't have to change boards, just update the BIOS, it's a pretty decent upgrade for the price. Then at some point down the road maybe find a deal on a GTX 1660 or some other low cost but fairly effective 1080p card. The GT 1030 is extremely lacking when it comes to actual gaming capability.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
When coming from an Athlon x4, pretty much ANY quad core CPU that's been released in the last three or four years is a tremendous upgrade, so while you might not NORMALLY make that recommendation for a gaming system, this might be a case where it could make sense, except that, right now, those 3200G and 3400G processors are selling for about 40% more than normal, which makes them a terrible idea.

The 3500x I recommended is a six core, relatively capable and pretty close to the target budget. Considering that you wouldn't have to change boards, just update the BIOS, it's a pretty decent upgrade for the price. Then at some point down the road maybe find a deal on a GTX 1660 or some other low cost but fairly effective 1080p card. The GT 1030 is extremely lacking when it comes to actual gaming capability.
Yeah it does make sense coming from an Athlon x4. But like you said, the price, as well as the fact that the iGPU is being paid for, yet a complete waste because the 1030 performs about the same and you're only gonna use one of those. The 3500X does seem like a good option.

Usually I'd recommend the Ryzen 3600 in a situation like this, but right now the 3600 in most EU regions is about €100 more than the 3500x, so all things considered, it's a pretty fair choice.
Yeah lol even in India where 3600 was like $210 6 months ago now it's about $275. Surprisingly the 10400F is just $170. Intel didn't take the hit here, even the 10700K which released at $580ish is now $470ish

Intel is fighting for relevance on the consumer CPU market right now. It's definitely not their biggest paycheck, consumer CPU sales, but it's still part of it, and they don't like losing in ANY segment of the market, so for once they are trying to actually do a little something with pricing that is out of their comfort zone. Usually they can ask whatever they want and get it, but not so much now since the Ryzen 3000 series and now the 5000 series, and if AMD ever manages to actually make these CPUs AVAILABLE, it could get a lot worse for Intel and Intel knows that. So they'll try to create a little leverage with pricing, much as AMD used to do.

At least for the lower to mid tiered models anyhow. Right now Intel has some options in those segments that make sense depending on what region you are from and what the need is. It's a pretty fine line though.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt