GPU Upgrade Help If Possible on X305-Q701

Status
Not open for further replies.

intothevoid

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Would like to run FFXIV on at least mid-performance settings

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: GeForce 9700M GTS 512 MB GDDR3

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: X305-Q701 - Upgraded memory to 4GB

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: n/a

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: just got a 1474 on the FFXIV benchmark which is low end. My laptop currently has 4GB of RAM so I'm assuming I will need to upgrade my graphics card, if possible.

Can anyone give me a few card ideas I can upgrade to that will have my PC running to at least mid-performance range?

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 9/21/2010, 12:40:48
Machine name: INTOTHEVOID-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Qosmio X305
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBLT
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4060MB RAM
Page File: 1802MB used, 6317MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GTS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9700M GTS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_062A&SUBSYS_FF011179&REV_A1
Display Memory: 2270 MB
Dedicated Memory: 495 MB
Shared Memory: 1774 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Solution
The problem with laptops is that they are not very upgradable. You have better than average GPU in there already and if it is a mini card (not a chip on the motherboard) the problem is they are not on the retail market and you would have to buy it either from the OEM (toshiba) or take your changes with ebay. Then the cooling solution in your laptop will have to fit it.
To sum it up! If you buy a laptop you are pretty much stuck with what you got!
The problem with laptops is that they are not very upgradable. You have better than average GPU in there already and if it is a mini card (not a chip on the motherboard) the problem is they are not on the retail market and you would have to buy it either from the OEM (toshiba) or take your changes with ebay. Then the cooling solution in your laptop will have to fit it.
To sum it up! If you buy a laptop you are pretty much stuck with what you got!

Solution
Sorry, you are stuck with what you got.

Only a few laptops allow you to upgrade the video card. Those laptops are relatively expensive to begin with. I would say at least $1,800. Additionally, these laptop video cards will be relatively expensive due to their rarity. I would not be surprised if a Mobility HD 5650 will cost you at least $200 if you can find one.

As a price comparison, the desktop HD 5670 can be bought for a mere $63 after rebate and before shipping.

intothevoid

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

Well rather than dishing out the money for a new PC, if FFXIV doesn't work that great on my current PC, I'll be looking at buying a PS3.

It's cheaper and all my other games run fine on this PC for now.

Thanks =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS