Question GPU Upgrade

Wheelzup

Reputable
Jul 3, 2021
I have a Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro and for easy things like word processing among other things. It's been a while since I have kept up with new computer builds and it's time to see what's going on with GPU's. I would like to continue using AMD GPU's and I was looking at the 7900 series and on Sapphires website is a card that seems to be fairly new, it's the 7900 GRE which fits my budget but this is the first time I've seen a card like it. Will it be good for 2 years or longer or should I look at something else?

Reactions: artk2219
the 7900 GRE which fits my budget but this is the first time I've seen a card like it. Will it be good for 2 years or longer or should I look at something else?
for what use exactly;
just basic home/office,
3D imagery projects,
gaming(if so, which games in particular), etc..?

also include your complete system specs with the make & model of all components.

your motherboard, specific power supply, case, system-wide cooling, etc
will all be a big factor in how well, if at all, your system will be able to handle this upgrade to the RX 7900 GRE.

Wheelzup

Reputable
Jul 3, 2021
I had to dig out the information that you asked for, so here it is:
Operating System
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 62 °C
Vermeer 7nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1758MHz (18-22-22-42)
Motherboard
ASRock B550 Taichi Razer Edition (AM4) 42 °C
Graphics
BenQ EX3203R (2560x1440@144Hz)
8176MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (Unknown)
Storage
465GB Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB (Unknown (SSD))
931GB Sabrent Rocket Q4 (Unknown (SSD))
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Sound Blaster ZxR DBpro
Operating System Windows 11 Pro

My case is a mid-tower from Phanteks not sure the exact model
The cooling is an old Thermaltake AIO

I use it for everything, work, video and photo editing, and gaming.

Unless there's something specific in your non-gaming workload that nvidia is better for I think the 7900GRE should be a good choice for your system. This is assuming you don't want to wait and see what comes, but for this price point I'm pretty sure you'd be waiting until the first half of next year.

edit: I must have missed no power supply listed, as mentioned below very important

Last edited:

Wheelzup

Reputable
Jul 3, 2021
Unless there's something specific in your non-gaming workload that nvidia is better for I think the 7900GRE should be a good choice for your system. This is assuming you don't want to wait and see what comes, but for this price point I'm pretty sure you'd be waiting until the first half of next year.

edit: I must have missed no power supply listed, as mentioned below very important
I overlooked my PSU, it's a 650W EVGA. I know AMD is coming out with a new 800 series of CPU's or GPU's or both :unsure: there are so many options coming out so quick it's hard to keep up.

I overlooked my PSU, it's a 650W EVGA. I know AMD is coming out with a new 800 series of CPU's or GPU's or both :unsure: there are so many options coming out so quick it's hard to keep up.
There are many EVGA 650w PSU's. You need to get the EXACT model as the lads have suggested. Your CPU is fine for any high end GPU, as long as you are playing 1440p and above. So monitor is very relevant.

Last edited:

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Short answer: It's an excellent GPU if you play at 1440p or lower.

Longer answer: Your PSU might have aged beyond it's warranty period and may no longer be safe to use. It's safe enough not to start an electrical fire (probably) but it may not be safe to plug in new components, esp. not GPUs.
Depending on it's exact age, you might have to consider a new PSU like for example this SeaSonic: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2g...ly-modular-atx-power-supply-atx3-focus-gx-750
For $90 it's reliable, covered by a long warranty, and it provides plenty of power. It's also got a new ATX 3.0 connector which may be useful in the future.

Also, the 7900GRE is maybe the best bang/buck GPU out there, so definetly buy it if you can afford it.

If you don't play demanding games at 1440p, you could buy a cheaper GPU. But as we're close to a new generation of GPUs, there are few right or wrong choices.
I boil it down to RTX 4060, RX 7900GRE, RTX 4070 Ti Super, RTX 4090. Buy whichever GPU is enough to fit your needs.

Wheelzup

Reputable
Jul 3, 2021
My monitor is a Benq EX3203R and it is running at 1440p. I don't think they make it anymore. I do have another monitor that I took a chance on purchasing. I got it from Amazon, it is an INNOCN 39G1R that's hooked up to a similar system to the one I am using most often. The thing is huge but seems to have automatically adjusted itself to run at 2K 2650 x 1440p using the same card that is in the one I use most often and looking to upgrade.