GPU usage and Coil whine

Zvonfeng

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
Days ago my GPU (geForce 760) began to have coil whine, there are a lot thread talked about it so I figured it should be fine as far as it is not horribly bad. I can use limit FPS to lower the noise anyway.

But today I find out there is something different. When I play Diablo 3 or just sit on WoW character menu, the GPU usage poped up to 98%, FPS around 120-160, and coil whining began. Of course temperature of GPU raised up too. So even though I can get over the noise, I can't allow my GPU run at high temp for the low graphic game. I mean it shouldn't happen, should it? Both WoW character frame and Diablo should not need that high GPU usage. And as soon as I loggin WoW, FPS dropped, everything back to track.

let me summery a bit: basically, my GPU is on high GPU usage for low graphic stuff, which raised my GPU temp to 70ish. Power is around 80%. It happened on BF3, D3, and WoW char frame.
It has less power usage when I am in WoW,

I am trying to figure out this is more like a faulty card, or it is normal. If it is normal, could anyone explain a bit for me why it is like that?

Thank you!

Solution

yes, this is what happens all the time. Up to 70 degrees is good temps to have at max, well below dangerous.

Dylzan

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
My GTX 770 has coil whine as well (Made by MSI) although I only notice it during the most basic 3DMARK test, probably due to my FPS being up in the thousands. My old GTX 660 had it as well.
However, if you are noticing it in games as well then I would try and RMA it if it annoys you a lot.

GPU's do this, some GPU's do it more then others, it's just trying to achieve highest FPS, and in some cases the GPU goes so low in usage, it just spikes up to recover satisfactory FPS, either way, no issue. If it does worry you, Just limit the FPS like you have, and it should be fine, or RMA it to try and have no whining at all.

Zvonfeng

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014

So even though there is a card without coil whine, will GPU usage still get up to 99% at low graphic game and raise up temp to 70C?

Dylzan

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

Yes, it just runs the games in the hundreds of FPS, as that is the maximum it can output. That's why it's best to have a frame capping program/programs have a build in frame capper (e.g source engine of 300 FPS)

yes, this is what happens all the time. Up to 70 degrees is good temps to have at max, well below dangerous.

Solution