Question GPU Utilization will sometimes hit 100% while gaming, causes stuttering. I've tried everything I know ?

TwistedFury

Distinguished
Hey guys, just to add more details. Here are my system components:
PC 1:
Ryzen 3700X
Sapphire Pulse II RX-6700XT
32GB-3600 Corsair LPX
MSI B450 Pro Carbon
970 Evo NVMe
Seasonic Focus 80+ Gold 650w

PC 2:
Ryzen 5800X3D
Sapphire Pulse II RX-6700XT
32GB-3600 G.Skill TridentZ
MSI B550I Gaming Edge Max
Generic 1TB NVMe (Micron)
Corsair 80+ Platinum SF-750w

As you can see, the only part I've shared between builds is the GPU, leading me to believe it could be a hardware failure. The issue has happened on both builds. Here is my issue:

Almost daily, whenever playing games, sometimes my GPU utilization will shoot up to 100% and cause my entire system to start lagging or even hang/crash. I will also hear audio crackling/popping when this happens. It will immediately fix itself on reboot. While my system lags, if I use an ingame FPS counter, the FPS is actually staying around the same (I use a 144hz monitor, usually cap FPS at 150). While the system itself is lagging/jittering, the FPS is still the same.

I have tried everything I know:
  • Using different GPU drivers,
  • Updating BIOS and chipset firmware,
  • Reinstalling Windows (I actually just reinstalled Windows and ONLY put games on, it's still happening).

Does anyone have any ideas?

100% GPU utilization while gaming is normal and what you should want. It maximizes graphics performance. However, you do have an issue somewhere, and it may be with the GPU. Have you checked your temps?

Install MSI Afterburner and enable the on-screen display to check GPU temps and vram utilization and any other metric you would like to see while gaming.

What games are you playing when this happens? Also, did you buy this GPU new or used? Has anyone ever mined crypto with it?

TwistedFury

Distinguished
100% GPU utilization while gaming is normal and what you should want. It maximizes graphics performance. However, you do have an issue somewhere, and it may be with the GPU. Have you checked your temps?

Install MSI Afterburner and enable the on-screen display to check GPU temps and vram utilization and any other metric you would like to see while gaming.

What games are you playing when this happens? Also, did you buy this GPU new or used? Has anyone ever mined crypto with it?
Temps are always fine. I bought this gpu brand new. I don't play brand new games so it's not too taxing, but it happens on all games. For example, mordhau, borderlands 3, battlefield v. Utilization typically stays around 60%, but it will spike to 100 and I can immediately feel the impact, despite the fps staying at a respectable level.