[SOLVED] Gpu with little fire and smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2019
PC Spec :
i5 2400 3.10 GHz
Gpu: rx 560 XFX 2Gb VRAM with 6 pin power (the old one)
Psu: EVGA 400W N1
Motherboard : asus p8h61-m lx r2.0
Ram : 8gb DDR3

So i bought a new gpu which is GTX 1060 3gb Inno3d 2nd hand, when i install it, nothing happen the pc won't booting up and then i unplug the cable power and replug it suddenly after i press the power button the gpu (gtx 1060), a small fire appears from it , and followed by little smoke and i unplug the power cable. Im so scared to turn it on again, then i change the graphic card with my gpu (RX 560). After i install it, the pc works just fine and nothing happen with the PCie.

So what caused of the problem? is it from the gpu or the motherboard or even my psu? Please guys i need your help😩😩, im scared if i buy another one, it will happen again and i hope the problem was from the gpu

Last edited:
Solution
Possibly vrm/power regulator. If psu sensors an electrical fault anywhere in the system it'll shutdown/prevent power up.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
My guess is either there's something wrong with the 1060 or the pcie cable.

Your 560 doesn't require pcie power cable does it?

Where did the pcie cable to power the 1060 come from?

Psu cables don't follow a standard so always use the cables the psu comes with. Pinouts can change amongst different psus / cables and stuff like this can happen.

Reactions: timi123
Jan 8, 2019
m
My guess is either there's something wrong with the 1060 or the pcie cable.

Your 560 doesn't require pcie power cable does it?

Where did the pcie cable to power the 1060 come from?

Psu cables don't follow a standard so always use the cables the psu comes with. Pinouts can change amongst different psus / cables and stuff like this can happen.
my rx 560 requires 6 pin power PCie cable:tired: and it works fine using the same power cable from the EVGA 400w

Jan 8, 2019
Oh ok, sorry i missed you mention 6pin in your op. Id say there's something wrong with the 1060 then.
so you would say that the problem was the gpu, are there any other possibilities that caused this problem, but my pc works just fine with my rx 560, is the voltage is too high for my psu can handle? and what caused the pc won't booting up for the first try?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Recommended is 450w but that's including the whole PC. For a system like yours 400w should be enough. If it wasn't, the gpu wouldn't work or the PC would shutdown long before fires start, anyhow during post, hardly any power is drawn anyway, well below 200w.

PC not booting up first try could be any reason. Swapping and changing system hardware for example, could cause cmos to reboot.

Jan 8, 2019
Recommended is 450w but that's including the whole PC. For a system like yours 400w should be enough. If it wasn't, the gpu wouldn't work or the PC would shutdown long before fires start, anyhow during post, hardly any power is drawn anyway, well below 200w.

PC not booting up first try could be any reason. Swapping and changing system hardware for example, could cause cmos to reboot.
is the problem related to the gpu VRM? oh and btw, as I recall, the pc didn't turn on when I pressed the power button and then suddenly that little fire appears on that gpu

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019
ok thankyou very much for your help appreciate it, so the problem is the gpu and then is it safe now for me to buy a new graphic card? for this system?

Status
Not open for further replies.