[SOLVED] GPU-Z Memory Used is half of the GB of my card...

nexigen

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hi, I have an old mobo (m5a97 plus, chipset RD9x0 r.2) with an FX-8350 and a nice GTX 1060 6GB. I've been struggling with fps lately using 1440p on my monitor so I thought I'd check out the GPU using GPU-Z.

Anyway, on the Sensors - it shows Memory Used being about 3GB when under 100% GPU Load, but this is a 6GB Card and it does show 6GB as the Memory Size.
Also, the Bus Interface Load is sitting around 2% and the power consumption is 90-100% of TDP - it's not overclocked or anything, and as far as I can tell there's no bottleneck happening.

Am I missing something or is it not utilizing all 6GB of the card?

Solution
gpu ram utilisation depends on how big game textures are, what resolution u play with...mostly... If u have free gpu ram, bus bandwith will be low and gpu ram wont be bottleneck (this is good, as gpu ram is much faster then system ram, which is using slow bus)
gpu utilisation / power utilisation close to 100% means your gpu is doing what it can, if u feel your fps is low, then u can rise power limit (if gpu allows you to do so) with msi afterburner/evga presision/etc similar overclocking tool or replace gpu with faster model

btw for 1440p u may need 1070ti or rtx2070
gpu ram utilisation depends on how big game textures are, what resolution u play with...mostly... If u have free gpu ram, bus bandwith will be low and gpu ram wont be bottleneck (this is good, as gpu ram is much faster then system ram, which is using slow bus)
gpu utilisation / power utilisation close to 100% means your gpu is doing what it can, if u feel your fps is low, then u can rise power limit (if gpu allows you to do so) with msi afterburner/evga presision/etc similar overclocking tool or replace gpu with faster model

btw for 1440p u may need 1070ti or rtx2070

Reactions: nexigen
Solution

nexigen

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks for the replies, I didn't realize it only uses the memory required for the game. I'm really surprised that 1440 only takes 3gigs to run.. On PUBG I compared it to 1080 and it's only about 200mb difference, though I do get a small boost to fps. If I want higher fps is it all about clock speed now?

Depending on the game, the new CoD MW I get about 55-60fps (sadly) with 1440p, pubg I still pull about 80-110 (big range) on 1440. Ark I get about 30-40 lol - I don't get that one, but I can force dx10 and get way more in ark, just makes it uglier.. might be my cpu limiting that one though.

I have noticed recently the CPU is bottle-necking me. Bought some new stuff yesterday (Ryzen 5 3600X), excited to see if there's a difference in fps! :D