Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015
This is my build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB

Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO

PSU: Corsair CX 600 (pretty old but works well)

Secondary memory: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD

Case: Thermaltake Case Mid Tower H200

I need to buy a GPU, right now i'm using a R9 270x, which is the GPU i used for my old build. I will buy one in Christmas, and i still have to choose. I was thinking about a EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER, but i'm still no sure. I would like to buy something that at least matches the PS5 in such a way that I can play the new games that are about to come out with no problems. My monitor is 1920x1080, and i dont plan to buy one with a better resolution, i think it's good enough. What graphic card do you guys recommend me?

Last edited:
Solution
You are in Europe, so I hope you'll understand the comparison. If you imagine a pair of Adidas soccor cleats, very well made, last for years, but have the screw in studs. This allows you to get full use, whether on grass or turf or fake grass, even if one breaks, you can easily swap it out and maintain usage. The psu you have now is not those cleats. It's a cheaper version, with plain nubbys that are a part of the sole. Not quite bad quality, but not entirely usable on turf or fake stuff. And if a nubby breaks or wears out, the cleats are now worthless.

The better psus have a 10+ year warranty and are built purposefully for gaming demands and fully expected to last at least that long. Your psu had a 1yr or 3yr warranty and the CX...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
We won't know exactly how the PS5 shapes up until it launches.... Right now, all we know is it's a custom derivative of AMDs upcoming GPUs (RDNA2) - and we don't know too much about those at this stage either.

For 1080p gaming, a 1660Super should be a good option for quite some time - and a very nice jump up from a 270X.

The older CX units are not the best and just because it appears to work well currently, with the hardware as-is, that doesn't necessarily mean that it'll accommodate upgrades without issues.

Technically a 1660 Super has a lower power draw than the 270X.... but if I were you, I'd definitely have one eye on upgrading that PSU sooner than later.

This is my build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB

Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO

Secondary memory: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD

Case: Thermaltake Case Mid Tower H200

I need to buy a GPU, right now i'm using a R9 270x, which is the GPU i used for my old build. I will buy one in Christmas, and i still have to choose. I was thinking about a EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER, but i'm still no sure. I would like to buy something that at least matches the PS5 in such a way that I can play the new games that are about to come out with no problems. My monitor is 1920x1080, and i dont plan to buy one with a better resolution, i think it's good enough. What graphic card do you guys recommend me?

I agree that a GTX 1660 Super is a solid card, and I've recommended it to many individuals, but I don't think it suits your purposes. You specifically said that you wanted it to match the PS5 and play new games without issue. The 1660 Super does not do ray tracing, which the PS5 will. Besides that, the PS5 is absolutely going to have more GPU horsepower than a 1660 Super. A 1660 Super is a good card for 1080p, but it doesn't have the kind of power you're looking for to ensure it can keep up with the latest upcoming games. I'd recommend you a RTX 2060, or even better, a RTX 2060 Super. A 2060 Super will have the power and VRAM to keep up with the latest games at 1080p as well as do some ray tracing from time to time.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Wait and see where the 3000 series goes. The rtx 3050 should be in the $150-$200 range, the rtx3060 at about $300ish. Rumor has it that a 3060/ti will be dropping soon, with the 3050 in early 2021. A gpu that costs less than the 2060/Super and out-performs it might be worth the wait.

Reactions: Barty1884

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015
I agree that a GTX 1660 Super is a solid card, and I've recommended it to many individuals, but I don't think it suits your purposes. You specifically said that you wanted it to match the PS5 and play new games without issue. The 1660 Super does not do ray tracing, which the PS5 will. Besides that, the PS5 is absolutely going to have more GPU horsepower than a 1660 Super. A 1660 Super is a good card for 1080p, but it doesn't have the kind of power you're looking for to ensure it can keep up with the latest upcoming games. I'd recommend you a RTX 2060, or even better, a RTX 2060 Super. A 2060 Super will have the power and VRAM to keep up with the latest games at 1080p as well as do some ray tracing from time to time.

Thanks for answering! The 2060 is way to expensive (200€+ more than the 1660), its just not worth it, i play videogames like 2 hours a month lol if the 1660 is able to play the game even on medium or low its good enough. What do you think?

Andrea Burgio

Distinguished
May 6, 2015
We won't know exactly how the PS5 shapes up until it launches.... Right now, all we know is it's a custom derivative of AMDs upcoming GPUs (RDNA2) - and we don't know too much about those at this stage either.

For 1080p gaming, a 1660Super should be a good option for quite some time - and a very nice jump up from a 270X.

The older CX units are not the best and just because it appears to work well currently, with the hardware as-is, that doesn't necessarily mean that it'll accommodate upgrades without issues.

Technically a 1660 Super has a lower power draw than the 270X.... but if I were you, I'd definitely have one eye on upgrading that PSU sooner than later.
You made me super worried now, whats wrong with that psu?? I just spent 650€ i dont want to spend 50€ more, a computer is so expensive, if i really really have to buy it i'll take those 50€ from the gpu budget and stick with a 570 or something

Last edited:
Thanks for answering! The 2060 is way to expensive (200€+ more than the 1660), its just not worth it, i play videogames like 2 hours a month lol if the 1660 is able to play the game even on medium or low its good enough. What do you think?

If you had said that you only play 2 hours a month and were fine with medium or low settings, I wouldn't have gone to the trouble to say all that stuff. Your statement that you wanted it to "match the PS5" was completely off the mark; a 1660 Super (what you are saying you are considering) is nowhere near the power of a PS5.

Yes, for 1080p medium or low settings, a 1660 super will be just fine

Bro you made me super worried now, whats wrong with that psu?? I just spent 650€ i dont want to spend 50€ more, a computer is so expensive, if i really really have to buy it i'll take those 50€ from the gpu budget and stick with a 570 or something

PSUs age over time and as they age, the chance of potential catastrophic failure increases. Your PSU is ok; its not great, but a 1660 Super is not making very high power demands on it and so you should be fine (probably).

Please don't buy a RX 570; that is a significantly inferior card to a 1660 super.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You are in Europe, so I hope you'll understand the comparison. If you imagine a pair of Adidas soccor cleats, very well made, last for years, but have the screw in studs. This allows you to get full use, whether on grass or turf or fake grass, even if one breaks, you can easily swap it out and maintain usage. The psu you have now is not those cleats. It's a cheaper version, with plain nubbys that are a part of the sole. Not quite bad quality, but not entirely usable on turf or fake stuff. And if a nubby breaks or wears out, the cleats are now worthless.

The better psus have a 10+ year warranty and are built purposefully for gaming demands and fully expected to last at least that long. Your psu had a 1yr or 3yr warranty and the CX class was designed specifically for office and light computing, not gaming demands or even close. What most are saying is that your rubber nubbys are dry rotted and cracked, the chances of breaking are very good, it's now just a matter of 'when' not 'if' the psu will quit.

Hopefully it's later rather than sooner.

Solution