Graphic cards weird temperatures

Ken_38

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
Hello everybody,

About 4 to 5 years ago i build my own PC with an AMD Radeon HD 5950.

A couple of months ago once in every 2 months my graphics card fan went crazy. Most of the time it was for 15 minutes or a bit longer, but it always went away.

Today I started the pc and after 15 minutes the fan went crazy again. But it kept going the entire time, even if I went away. I opened the case and found out it was my graphics card again. So I searched for it on the internet and found out that i could change my fan speed manually. I used 3 different tools (including Msi Afterburner) and whatever I changed it to, it kept going fast.

So I installed multiple monitor tools, all of them said my GPU core was -165 degrees and around 6000 RPM from the fans. Msi Afterburner said the temperatures was -213848... something in that way. I thought something was wrong so people said that i should try GPU-Z. GPU-Z had a core temperature of -125 degrees. And GPU Temperatures #1,2 and 3 was about 2000 degrees celcius. So that monitor is totally off and i cant get a proper reading or get my fans too stop making such a noise. When i just put my hand on the graphics card itself it doesnt really feel hot, almost cold.

Can anybody help me with this, or at least help me reduce the fan noise.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Ken

Solution
Sounds like some connectors might have come loose and arent sending temp data properly. Try unplugging your gpu and checking all your wires and plugs are attached and clean. While you're at it, make sure your other gear is fine too.

Azated

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Sounds like some connectors might have come loose and arent sending temp data properly. Try unplugging your gpu and checking all your wires and plugs are attached and clean. While you're at it, make sure your other gear is fine too.

Solution