Graphics card advice

G

Need a little advice. I want to upgrade ny card. My current system specs: PIII600E,128MB SDRAM,Voodoo 3 2000 AGP,Abit BE6 II Motherboard.
The Main games I use are Racing sims(Nascar3) and Golf(Links). Nascar3 uses GLIDE so thats the reason I got a Voodoo. Nascar4,when released,Is being written in D3D and OpenGl so I don't need the VooDoo compatability.
Also Nascar3 was limited to 30FPS,Nascar4 will be UNLIMITED. Links 2001 needs more video memory for the course designer.
My choice has been narrowed to GeFore or Radeon(I think).
So I need help as to which card will serve my primary needs. Good FPS and pretty good image Guality.
P.S. my monitor anly supports 1280x1024 so I won't be running any higher Res.than that.
Thanks

G

The GF2 gives more raw FPS than the Radeon, but most people say the Radeon has better image quality.

So... do you want 70FPS with good image quality, or 50-60FPS with excellent image quality?

G

That's what keeps confusing me! Which one do I prefer. I can't compare before I make a choice. I hope people could give me advice based on their experiences.

G

For a golf game image quality would probably be your main concern and the radeon should have better quality. For the nascar game either card should give you good frame rates, but the geforce will probably give you more fps.

I have a radeon, everything looks great and the frame rates in Quake3 are more than enough even with high resolution 1280 x 1024 and 32 bit color.

G

with the system you described, either video card you called out should give you a good experience. i recently purchased a radeon 32ddr and i am very pleased. the desk top (text) is great and the 3d performance is excellent as well.
have you tried to set your fsb to 133 ??
most p3-600e's will hit 800 without any tweaks other than changing the fsb from 100 to 133.
my redeon works without a hitch on an oc'd soyo sy6ba+4 and a p3-600 @ 800mhz.
good luck and enjoy which ever card you choose.

Regards,
Chas

Diemos

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you have a dvd player go with the radeon, If not go with the gf. Other than that, the two are just about equal at you max res. Wait, go with the Radeon. Links is a great looking game that you have to look at for long periods of time, so may as well make it look as good as possible.
Good luck with whatever you choose.