[SOLVED] graphics card drivers

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
so my cpu has on-board graphics on it ( radeon r5 graphics ) and my laptop also came with amd vega 11 graphics ( not amd radeon vega 11 RX graphics ) and i recently installed the amd radeon software, and now for some reason my display adapter is set to radeon r5, so i change it back and i update it, but it changes back to redeon r5 when i update my vega 11 graphics. so when i dont update it, its version is the exact same as the radeon r5 ( which its not supposed to be because last time i updated it which was a couple of days ago, it was far beyond radeon r5 ) and the performance stays the exact same ( and the radeon r5 has terrible performance ). and also to "update" to vega 11, i have to uncheck compatible software to select it. but ive used vega 11 before so i know its compatble. so pretty much i am trying to find out if i can get my vega 11 graphics back and not constantly have to use radeon r5.
p.s. if last resort is reseting my pc, im ok wth that. and i cant find the drivers on the amd website aswell so if anyone can find the drivers for it that would be great :)

pps. laptop specs
acer aspire a315-22
apu - amd a9-9420 radoen r5 graphics
memory - 8gb DDR4
gpu amd radeon vega 11
tell me if you need any more info on my laptop

Solution

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
What laptop model is it?

Vega 11 is the apu graphics (cpu) and R5 graphics is discreet gpu afaik. Why they would pair an inferior graphics chip along with Vega 11 is odd.
When I go on the device manager i click on processors, it says and a9-9420 Radeon r5 with the cpu. And Vega 11 is by itself not paired with anything

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Ok, 9420 apu is R5 but im still confused where Vega 11 fits in because it's part of the Raven Ridge Ryzen series ie 2400g.

What laptop model is it?
Sorry for the late reply, it’s a Acer aspire a315-22. There’s not many websites that says it has Vega 11 but it definitely does because when I first bought it from the good guys ( a shop in aus ) in device manager it said and Radeon (tm) Vega 11 and when I installed Radeon r5 through device manager, the performance just dropped, so it’s definitely in there but it’s just not showing up.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Solution

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
These are the specs.
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/AU/content/model/NX.HE8SA.005

Laptop does not have Vega 11 graphics. Vega 11 is only offered in some Ryzen cpus, it isn't a discrete chip. Your processor has integrated Radeon™ R5 Graphics integrated.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/spe...,3306,3301,2526,2531,2536,5671,5786,5661,5661

Perhaps driver hasn't been installed properly.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/prev...a9-series-apu-for-laptops/7th-gen-a9-9420-apu
How has the performance increased and decreased when switching between “graphics cards”?

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
I'd advise a clean install, and install proper drivers for the hardware present in the system. To ensure you have the "proper" drivers, get the from the manufacturer here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/AU/content/drivers
Simply follow the instructions and you should get the drivers from there.
I looked up my model and I go to drivers but there is nothing about graphics card drivers. Is there something specific I should be looking for

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
I'd advise a clean install, and install proper drivers for the hardware present in the system. To ensure you have the "proper" drivers, get the from the manufacturer here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/AU/content/drivers
Simply follow the instructions and you should get the drivers from there.
and also if i do find my graphics drivers, how do i uninstall them so i can make a fresh install?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Get driver from Amd directly for your cpu or from Acer before running DDU.

After uninstalling with DDU, restart back to normal Windows and install driver.

Are you running Win10? If so, turn off device driver updates. The setting is in system > advanced settings > hardware. Turn this off before booting to safemode.

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Get driver from Amd directly for your cpu or from Acer before running DDU.

After uninstalling with DDU, restart back to normal Windows and install driver.

Are you running Win10? If so, turn off device driver updates. The setting is in system > advanced settings > hardware. Turn this off before booting to safemode.
But will that give me the option to choose Vega 11 again or since im choosing my apu it will just install Radeon r5 again?

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
I don't know what you saw. There's no evidence of Vega 11 in this laptop, it doesn't have the processor for it.
I fixed it! There was a problem with windows update and I fixed it and it had an update for advanced micro devices (amd) and I unchecked the box that says compatible hardware and installed Vega 11. Then I updated it, and usually when I update it, it would usually update to Radeon r5 but now it’s downloading the drivers so it’s fixed.
So I do have Vega 11 I don’t know how tho?

LucasPerks

Reputable
Jan 25, 2020
Thanks. Use Imgur and copy/paste bb code here.
and also, i figured out, the gpu that i have isnt amd radeon (TM) RX vega 11 mine is vega 11 without the RX. and the ryzen 5 with onboard graphics ( vega 11 ) is amd radeon (TM) RX vega 11. so thats why i think when you search up vega 11, the ryzen 5 always comes up. and i think its just a rare case that mine has vega 11

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Well, you do have Vega 11 graphics it seems. Can you show us one last picture of cpu tab in cpuz please.

I tried searched Vega 11, and the only results are RX Vega 11 which makes sense to me because Vega 11 being a trade name for Raven Ridge apu's, it wouldn't make sense having two separate.