[SOLVED] Graphics card glitching while gaming, is it dying?

Pizza Dude

Honorable
Sep 9, 2014
Hi, so I have a 3 year old gtx 1070 and recently, seemingly out of nowhere I started having these weird glitches whilst playing games. It happens at random for only 1 or 2 frames. I managed to record it with my phone and screenshot the frame.

My temps have never really been good, usually capped at 82°C, so I decided it needed repasting and so far my temps did improve but the problem persists. I also noticed that I got this problem only after installing my third hard drive, is it posible my sistem's PSU is not good enough, it's an EVGA 80 plus 500W PSU, I've had it for 5 years with no apparent issue so far.

The rest of my specs are an i5 4690k @4.4, 16GB of RAM, an SSD and 3 HDDs, and some extra case fans.

63O0NG7.jpg

Solution
You could try to change the thermalpaste of the card, and then if it persists try to underclock the card, mainly the memory speed to see if it's stops to glitching. But it seems the card is slowly dying. Maybe the underclock will make it last for more time.

The PSU seems to be also an suspect. Is a good budget PSU but you already have it for 5 years and could be the problem, try the underclock of the card first, and if the problems stays change the PSU.
Hi, so I have a 3 year old gtx 1070 and recently, seemingly out of nowhere I started having these weird glitches whilst playing games. It happens at random for only 1 or 2 frames. I managed to record it with my phone and screenshot the frame.

My temps have never really been good, usually capped at 82°C, so I decided it needed repasting and so far my temps did improve but the problem persists. I also noticed that I got this problem only after installing my third hard drive, is it posible my sistem's PSU is not good enough, it's an EVGA 80 plus 500W PSU, I've had it for 5 years with no apparent issue so far.

The rest of my specs are an i5 4690k @4.4, 16GB of RAM, an SSD and 3 HDDs, and some extra case fans.

63O0NG7.jpg
Yup...degradation looks to be progressing there. Overclocking? maybe stop or reduce?

Before looking for a new card it's probably a good idea to review case cooling. Do you have fans in front bringing in cool air for the GPU? and back/top to remove it?

JaAntonio

Honorable
BANNED
Nov 13, 2019
You could try to change the thermalpaste of the card, and then if it persists try to underclock the card, mainly the memory speed to see if it's stops to glitching. But it seems the card is slowly dying. Maybe the underclock will make it last for more time.

The PSU seems to be also an suspect. Is a good budget PSU but you already have it for 5 years and could be the problem, try the underclock of the card first, and if the problems stays change the PSU.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
EVGA has some good PSUs, and some terrible ones. Without knowing the exact model, it's hard to say.

I would be suspicious of it, though - only because a bad power supply has had my video blanking out every so often recently on my system. Getting it replaced under warranty.

See the first link in my sig for power supply recommendations.