[SOLVED] Graphics card not running at high clocks

shree.rangaraju

Reputable
Nov 18, 2017
Hii,
I have a acer nitro 5 an515-52 2018 laptop, specs:
core i7 - 8750h , 12gb ddr4 2400mhz, gtx 1050, Windows 10 21H1

My gpu core boost clock was at 1759Mhz(most common) and undervolted my cpu using throttlestop and undervolted my gpu using msi afterburner
my gpu reached 1759 Mhz while gaming and temps were normal(75-80), and undervolt was stable for last 1 and half year
last month my laptop crashed with bluescreen "DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE",
i reset the gpu undervolt profile to default, and now its fine, but
old undervolt is no more stable for me, and my gpu is now running at lower gpu core boost clock 1695 Mhz

Why is my laptop isn't stable anymore to my old undervolt profile which was fine for almost 1 and half years?
And Why does my Gpu isn't reaching 1759Mhz boost clock as it did before?

What I Tried:
Updating Nvidia gpu drivers
reinstalling Nvidia drivers using DDU
Clean my laptop Fans, and vents
Repasted both cpu and gpu using artic mx-4
reinstalled msi afterburner, throttlestop
reset bios to defaults
Set Power Management to "High performance" in Nvidia control panel

Thanks!

Solution
An educated guess:
The operating parameters of electronic components, including semiconductors, change over time. What might have been stable once might no longer be after 1.5 years.

If nothing else had changed, your GPU is now also reaching its TDP target at a lower frequency, with the higher core voltage.

Note that the maximum frequency of GPU is also workload dependent. My 3070 Mobile usually hovers around 1400-1500MHz for typical games, but goes up to nearly 2000MHz for F@H WUs, for the same indicated wattage.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
An educated guess:
The operating parameters of electronic components, including semiconductors, change over time. What might have been stable once might no longer be after 1.5 years.

If nothing else had changed, your GPU is now also reaching its TDP target at a lower frequency, with the higher core voltage.

Note that the maximum frequency of GPU is also workload dependent. My 3070 Mobile usually hovers around 1400-1500MHz for typical games, but goes up to nearly 2000MHz for F@H WUs, for the same indicated wattage.

Reactions: Howardohyea
Solution

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
Here's my opinion on this matter.
I don't think semiconductor change is the issue explicitly, and I think the power delivery. May I ask what's your current temperature? Also unless you're seeing noticeable frame drops I won't worry about it too much.

I also found this Microsoft documentation about your blue screen: Bug Check 0x9F DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE - Windows drivers | Microsoft Docs
Hope this helps solve your issue