Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
So my normal setup is:

i5 4670k
h81m-p33 Mobo
500w coolermaster power supply
8gb Ram
1Tb black edition HDD

My issue: Rig works perfectly with a GTX 650 even with over clocking it through Afterburner, however (and here's where it gets fun) when i plug the Gtx 465 in, it boots fine and loads into Windows. I can even play games and do whatever for about 10 min - 30 min then the computer crashes... So i figured driver issue. I uninstalled ALL the drivers and it will just not boot. Bios starts fine however when it "flashes" to switch to the Windows loading screen the bios screen stays up and the Windows "loading circle things" appear and go round and round till i restart again.

I am aware that the PSU is underpowered, however according to my quick math and other posts i read it will still work as long as i don't overclock or add any other devices to my pc. I am very confused on why it will not even boot into Windows. If it was a power issue my pc wouldnt boot, if it was drivers i would get a different kind of indicator. I havent seen this ever please help.

My manager had the graphics card plugged into his rig and played around for +- 4 hours no issues and multiple reboots so there's an issue with my setup and its not the PSU (already tested) im not sure where the issue lies ?

The Idiot

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2013
So my normal setup is:

i5 4670k
h81m-p33 Mobo
500w coolermaster power supply
8gb Ram
1Tb black edition HDD

My issue: Rig works perfectly with a GTX 650 even with over clocking it through Afterburner, however (and here's where it gets fun) when i plug the Gtx 465 in, it boots fine and loads into Windows. I can even play games and do whatever for about 10 min - 30 min then the computer crashes... So i figured driver issue. I uninstalled ALL the drivers and it will just not boot. Bios starts fine however when it "flashes" to switch to the Windows loading screen the bios screen stays up and the Windows "loading circle things" appear and go round and round till i restart again.

I am aware that the PSU is underpowered, however according to my quick math and other posts i read it will still work as long as i don't overclock or add any other devices to my pc. I am very confused on why it will not even boot into Windows. If it was a power issue my pc wouldnt boot, if it was drivers i would get a different kind of indicator. I havent seen this ever please help.

My manager had the graphics card plugged into his rig and played around for +- 4 hours no issues and multiple reboots so there's an issue with my setup and its not the PSU (already tested) im not sure where the issue lies ?
Can you boot into safemode with the cpu graphics? Maybe give windows some time to load in. If you can get into safemode try testing the ram.

TruleyGifted

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
Yes if i swap back to old GPU (gtx 650) or if i remove the gpu completely it works fine but i really want the gtx 465 to work. I havent tried booting into safe mode with problematic gpu tho will try when im home

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Another opinion OP, try a fresh Windows install on a spare drive to see if it'll work. If I were you, I'm not convinced it's RAM, that should be another issue entirely since the PC is working fine before you plugged in GTX 465.

Had a 9400 GS that refused to display properly on one Windows install only for it to work 100% fine on another. On the same PC, just different drive. One is SSD, primary drive that I use for work, and the other a spare Windows install for troubleshooting on a HDD.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yes if i swap back to old GPU (gtx 650) or if i remove the gpu completely it works fine but i really want the gtx 465 to work. I havent tried booting into safe mode with problematic gpu tho will try when im home
You never listed the model number of the power supply most from cooler master are just over rated garbage.

The 650 is a 65 watt card the GTX 465 is a 200 watt card.

TruleyGifted

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
I agree ram is normally obvious.. I also thought it was the windows install i have reinstalled since however i think this is also a bad install. Odd that it works fine with the GTX 650 but not the 465. But it definitely seems as if when windows begins startup it begins to hang... I will try the reinstall tomorrow and report if it fixed the issue. I feared the Mobo itself was either not compatible or possibly a problem with the card? Not big on the software side

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I agree ram is normally obvious.. I also thought it was the windows install i have reinstalled since however i think this is also a bad install. Odd that it works fine with the GTX 650 but not the 465. But it definitely seems as if when windows begins startup it begins to hang... I will try the reinstall tomorrow and report if it fixed the issue. I feared the Mobo itself was either not compatible or possibly a problem with the card? Not big on the software side

Motherboard being not "compatible" isn't unheard of, but very rare cases I think. The card seems fine since it was tested on another system. Could be just the PSU, OP. My troll physics brain would say "surely it'll boot fine, maybe not gaming, but boots fine.", but reality is often disappointing.

TruleyGifted

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
Lol at one point i i had a HD 6570 and the fan stopped working so i tied a cpu fan to the card then set it to always run at 100% and it worked. If it works it works and thats what im trying to get here XD thanks for the help i will report back tomorrow if the reinstall worked.

TruleyGifted

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
You never listed the model number of the power supply most from cooler master are just over rated garbage.

The 650 is a 65 watt card the GTX 465 is a 200 watt card.
I will check when i get home. Funny enough it displays as a 500w but only pumps out i think 435 watt however according to math and other toms hardware posts it should work just fine if i only have a HDD running off it and my system ofc.

TruleyGifted

Honorable
Nov 11, 2014
Updated: So i have discovered it in specifically on driver installation that the crash happens. I downloaded the GTX 465 driver off nvidia website V 391.35 (might be wrong speaking out of memory of driver version) and just after compatibility check when it begins install my screen turns black and then my pc makes the "Device disconnected" sound any fixes you can think of?

Last edited: