Question Graphics card overheating [edited]

dihleez.m.a

Prominent
Nov 17, 2018
My build :

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor($245.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H5 Ultimate 76 CFM CPU Cooler($75.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370 SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive($72.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1182.88

previous thread title: Black screen on startup

I've built my 1st gaming pc with the help of this community,
and I really hope you can help me with what I'm going through for a while now (as I have tried everything...).

I'll write the problem in points (from when it started till now)

1- Issue started after I've changed the TV I was using for it (I don't have monitor) from normal TV to a 4K one.

2- The screen will "twitch" from time to time but still worked. (sudden black screen but very quick it disappears)

3- I left the PC on all night one day to download a game. In the morning, after a short rest, I was using it when it crashed and the blue error screen happened. (it quickly went off so I couldn't even read). Here, the problem started. Windows wouldn't start up it was just black screen and then squares will appear on screen in a checkerboard formation then contines to an infinite black screen.

4- The total noob I am I didn't know what to do, I took it somewhere so they can format the PC in hope that'll fix it. Even after format and re-installing windows, the black screen occurred again, but it worked after a few restarts.

5- The problem continued, even thought the PC would work after a number of restarts, the black screen and checkerboard squares kept happening and windows not willing to work. + The PC didn't work as well as it was before when windows did start. (it felt slower)

6- I tried finding solution on the internet, tried a bunch of them, some of them worked but just temporarily. (I can't remmeber all of them right now but clean uninstall of the graphics card driver , scannow to fix system problems and stuff like that) Windows 10 last update was an issue too.

7- Blue screen revealed an error "video tdr failure" "atikmpag.sys". I found fixes so I tried them, seemed like they fixed it till a new error popped up.

8- "sxgmms2.sys"

9-
I read one guy saying that removing 1 ram stick did the trick for him? so as frustrated as I was I did it. Black screen saying there was a hardware change and took me to the bios. I didn't do anything and just quit. Then absolute black screen. I put the 2nd ram back, still black screen not even the motherboard logo showing.

10- Here I surrendered. I left the PC for a while in hope to find a good shop that can fix it. But then magically I just decided to try it one more time.
The motherboard logo showed and then the usual black screen loop. I restored the system to a previous point and then I kept using it as it is (with the black screen on boot issue) and kept on playing my games whenever the PC blessed me with windows starting up.

11- I read one guy (having same black screen problem) saying Vram voltage was too low for the stock 2000Mhz of his. So he increased it then never experienced a single glitch. So I tried it yesterday and I feel like it really did solve my problem with the twitching while using the system and playing games. But the startup black screen wasn't solved... EDIT: the twitching still occurs. But it did seem like it was reduced. So maybe there's some hope in this method.

I forgot to mention I went back to using my older TV that used to work smoothly with during trying to fix it. And right now I went back to the 4k.

I don't know, I lack the knowledge to fix this alone. If you can help, that would be greatly appreciated...
I really am frustrated...

Last edited:

dihleez.m.a

Prominent
Nov 17, 2018
47371733f4185cb4fd633237ee4089a9930d62fab0ad7ffe7959228c073f97f511603f2c.jpg

This is the temperature while playing Darq and it twitches now.

Last edited:

dihleez.m.a

Prominent
Nov 17, 2018
Please, if you need more details let me know.

I'm willing to take the pc for some pc shop they said they handle such cases.. but still.. I didn't really get to the bottom of this issue. If you can direct me that would be appreciated.

Is it the Graphics card? Because I'm reading a lot of RX580 users complaining of similar issues with the card..

Is it Windows 10 updates? but then it should be fixed after I have formatted and re-installed windows back again.. Or windows auto updating the drivers.. still could've been solved by this.

Is it the PSU? but it's a good one it seems..

The motherboard? but if it was damaged I wouldn't be able to use the system like I'm doing right now?

Would the ram sticks affect the display like this? I have no idea..

Just one note -could be silly- when the black screen occurs the gpu fans stop for good.

dihleez.m.a

Prominent
Nov 17, 2018
I don't know if I will get any help but I'll leave this here. I've been reading and searching and I kind of got to the bottom of the issues.

GPU is overheating even under little to no pressure.
I touched the Graphics card and found it really hot after shutting down.

Since last time I wrote I've done little changes :

- Lowered the resolution in-game and out from 3840x2160 to 1366x768
(most probably it switched to this automatically when I used the 4K TV)

- Did a scan for viruses (as advised by someone on the internet) using Malwarebytes
and it did find 74 threats. All of them with the name PUP.optional.reimage

- I tired multiple methods in Wattman settings and some of them worked temporarily like 50% Power Limit. But the temperature problem was not fixing in anyway obviously.

-

I was checking device manager>Display Adapters>my graphics card>properties>events
Then view all events

and I fixed the Event Error 'ESENT-455' using this method.

Under little pressure:

1.png
1-2.png

1-3.png

1-4.png

While Playing Darq
(this game seems to make it go crazy hot right after it starts 68-75 C and up even after I have reduced the graphics quality from fantastic to Good in game):

2.png

screen crashed just before I took this screenshot and then was back

2-1.png

2-2.png

GPU use 100%
The temperature reached 82 C here, in less than 10 minutes from starting the game.

2-3.png

How can I reduce the temperature?
Is my Graphics Card damaged?
I don't know.​

Last edited: