[SOLVED] GRAPHICS CARD POSSIBLE?

Feb 11, 2020
I'm complete noob in pc stuff btw so I appreciate ur help massively!!
I have the following specs for my ACER Veriton x6620g Desktop
Intel core i5 3470 3.2GHZ
Dual-channel 4GB RAM DDR3 @665MHZ
Integrated HD graphics
465GB Seagate hard drive SATA
My question is that in this mini itx tower case can I install a graphics card to play certain games? If so, what games can i play and what's the best graphics card I can get with this system? Thank you!!

Solution
I doubt the power supply that pc has is not very reliable.

Assuming that your psu is good and your motherboard has a PCIE x16 slot i suggest a TUF GTX 1650 Super as its power requirements are fairly low and require no pcie cables to work.
It also should be a fair match with your CPU.

Do not proceed to buy a gpu if you havent checked that:
Your motherboard will support it
Your PSU can handle it
Your case can fit it

If all of those boxes are checked, go for it man.
Hope this helped!

Edit: I also suggest checking to buy different ram, 4GB @665MHz is not going to cut it in modern games. 8GB or even 16GB. I cannot give any further info on this because your motherboard isnt listed. No point in having a...
I doubt the power supply that pc has is not very reliable.

Assuming that your psu is good and your motherboard has a PCIE x16 slot i suggest a TUF GTX 1650 Super as its power requirements are fairly low and require no pcie cables to work.
It also should be a fair match with your CPU.

Do not proceed to buy a gpu if you havent checked that:
Your motherboard will support it
Your PSU can handle it
Your case can fit it

If all of those boxes are checked, go for it man.
Hope this helped!

Edit: I also suggest checking to buy different ram, 4GB @665MHz is not going to cut it in modern games. 8GB or even 16GB. I cannot give any further info on this because your motherboard isnt listed. No point in having a powerful gpu if your ram cant keep up.

I highly suggest you to buy a whole new computer honestly. Prebuilts offer very limited upgrade possibilities in general.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 11, 2020
@puw2 Thanks mate. What if i get a new PSU and get a low profile card like a rx 460, which is fairly cheap and powerful for the price? I was thinking of getting a Corsair VS450 power supply unit 450 W ATX Black . I would think it is compatible but not sure space wise so i might need to switch the motherboard to another case but should I do that for this? It is a mini tower btw. I'm thinking of doing gaming on slightly older titles for now just to get started into pc gaming. This includes games like GTA V (med 720p-1080p)which can run on 4gb in playable fps. I'll keep in mind ur ram comments though for sure. SORRY I AM A NOOB haha but thanks for helping me mate I'm very excited to start into PC building but have a limited budget as an 18 yr old.

Last edited:
@puw2 Thanks mate. What if i get a new PSU and get a low profile card like a rx 460, which is fairly cheap and powerful for the price? I was thinking of getting a ATX power supply unit. I would think it is compatible but not sure space wise so i might need to switch the motherboard to another case but should I do that for this? It is a mini tower btw. I'm thinking of doing gaming on slightly older titles for now just to get started into pc gaming. This includes games like GTA V (med 720p-1080p)which can run on 4gb in playable fps. I'll keep in mind ur ram comments though for sure. SORRY I AM A NOOB haha but thanks for helping me mate I'm very excited to start into PC building but have a limited budget as an 18 yr old.

Sounds good but keep in mind that the motherboard may not screw in correctly in the new case. OEM motherboards sometimes have different screw places as they're not designed to be moved to a different case.

When choosing a case make sure it supports the form factor that your motherboard is!

RX460 sounds good if you are not planning on playing the newer games. Its certainly not a bad card but if you are coming to the conclusion that you'll buy a new case aswell i'd go with a RX480 or maybe a RX580 depending on how the budget holds!

Glad i've been able to help!

@puw2 Thanks mate. What if i get a new PSU and get a low profile card like a rx 460, which is fairly cheap and powerful for the price? I was thinking of getting a Corsair VS450 power supply unit 450 W ATX Black . I would think it is compatible but not sure space wise so i might need to switch the motherboard to another case but should I do that for this? It is a mini tower btw. I'm thinking of doing gaming on slightly older titles for now just to get started into pc gaming. This includes games like GTA V (med 720p-1080p)which can run on 4gb in playable fps. I'll keep in mind ur ram comments though for sure. SORRY I AM A NOOB haha but thanks for helping me mate I'm very excited to start into PC building but have a limited budget as an 18 yr old.
I highly recommend to stay away from Corsairs VS-line of power supplies.
450W wont hold up if you want to upgrade so i'd suggest a 550 and up but ive included one 450W unit in my list if you are certain that you wont be upgrading anytime soon.

Heres some of the more reliable PSU's i'd recommend:

Corsair CXM 450W

Corsair RMx 550W

Seasonic S12II 620W

EVGA BR 600W

EVGA GD 600W

That PC looks to have a custom size or at least a small SFX size power supply, a normal ATX one won't fit. It may also not have enough space for a gaming video card, depending on the case.

Take some pictures of you case open showing the motherboard and power supply and post them here.

You are probably going to be limited to a narrower video card with low power draw.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Edit: I also suggest checking to buy different ram, 4GB @665MHz is not going to cut it in modern games. 8GB or even 16GB. I cannot give any further info on this because your motherboard isnt listed. No point in having a powerful gpu if your ram cant keep up.

I think this is really 1333MHz, just that some software lists the data rate without accounting for the fact that it's DDR (DOUBLE data rate).

Most Sandy Bridge CPUs were limited to 1333Mhz RAM, and most Ivy Bridge were limited to 1600MHz. Intel CPUs are also notably less dependent on RAM speed than AMD Ryzen, so the 1333Mhz RAM is not a handicap - there's no point in going hunting to replace it with 1600MHz DDR3 RAM (which would probably show up as 800MHz with whatever @FZPROf is using to display the info).

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I highly recommend to stay away from Corsairs VS-line of power supplies.
450W wont hold up if you want to upgrade so i'd suggest a 550 and up but ive included one 450W unit in my list if you are certain that you wont be upgrading anytime soon.

Heres some of the more reliable PSU's i'd recommend:

Corsair CXM 450W

Corsair RMx 550W

Seasonic S12II 620W

EVGA BR 600W

EVGA GD 600W

See the first link in my sig.

The EVGA BR is a poor quality PSU - I don't have any info on GD, so I wouldn't recommend it, as it's not on the list of known good models from EVGA.

The Seasonic is good, but an older design. A more modern design like the Seasonic FOCUS and PRIME would be better suited if upgrading to a modern GPU.

If going as low as 450W, I would go with a better model than the CXM - The Corsair CX/CXm (2017), do NOT go with the older design, is not bad, but is definitely a budget model, and I would say at least 550 on a CX/CXm.

Note, though, that the Seasonic Focus and Prime models, and the higher up Corsairs (TX, HX, AX, RM) typically start at 550W minimum. If they did have 450W versions, I'd trust those, though they don't leave you a lot of overhead for future upgrades.

See the first link in my sig.

The EVGA BR is a poor quality PSU - I don't have any info on GD, so I wouldn't recommend it, as it's not on the list of known good models from EVGA.

The Seasonic is good, but an older design. A more modern design like the Seasonic FOCUS and PRIME would be better suited if upgrading to a modern GPU.

If going as low as 450W, I would go with a better model than the CXM - The Corsair CX/CXm (2017), do NOT go with the older design, is not bad, but is definitely a budget model, and I would say at least 550 on a CX/CXm.

Note, though, that the Seasonic Focus and Prime models, and the higher up Corsairs (TX, HX, AX, RM) typically start at 550W minimum. If they did have 450W versions, I'd trust those, though they don't leave you a lot of overhead for future upgrades.

All of the PSU's mentioned above are taken them from the PSU tier list