Graphics card underclocks itself?

turtleduck845

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
I have Geforce 8400 GS which is old but playable on old games. On team fortress 2 i started lagging. base clock lowered from 520-407 memory clock from the 700's to 300's and shader clock from 1200's to 800-1000 (sorry forgot)
tempurate were in the 85-92C and when underclocked stayed at constant 77C
any help on what happened

Solution
It is likely throttling, temps are too high. The GPU will automatically lower it's clocks to cool down when it gets hot enough. I am not sure the exact temp that will happen with the 8500 GS, 90c if I had to guess.

It is an old card and it is probably due for a thermal paste change if you want to stop the throttling. Or clean it out if the heatsink is caked with dust.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
It is likely throttling, temps are too high. The GPU will automatically lower it's clocks to cool down when it gets hot enough. I am not sure the exact temp that will happen with the 8500 GS, 90c if I had to guess.

It is an old card and it is probably due for a thermal paste change if you want to stop the throttling. Or clean it out if the heatsink is caked with dust.

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Why do you not think that is not the problem? The GPU does not just underclock itself when under full load out of the blue.