Question Graphics card won't give video output

Dec 4, 2021
How it started: Whilst playing a game i suddenly got a black screen
Fixes i already tried: drivers update, DDU, windows reinstall (win 10)
"Symptoms":
  1. If monitor connected to GPU: video card will give video output until you get to the windows password screen, then it will black screen. after a few boots like this, it will suddenly be able to get to the passowrd screen whilst still being connected to GPU
  2. Computer WON'T boot to safe mode with GPU installed (even if video output connected to motherboard), i discovered it when i tried to boot to safe mode to use DDU
  3. After using DDU computer seemed to work fine until the .exe file for GeForce experience got downloaded (because of DDU there were no GPU drivers installed), and it black screened before running the .exe file
  4. IMPORTANT NOTE: The GPU has never turned off, it has just stopped giving video output (aka black screen)
(Also, computer has integrated graphics from intel CPU)

CPU: Core i7 7700K

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H

RAM: G.skill aegis 16GB(2x8) DDR4 2133Mhz CL15

GPU: EVGA 1080 SC

PSU: Corsair CX750M

Last edited:

4745454b

Titan
In my experience this is because the GPU is dying. I'm sorry to give bad news. What's happening is every time it loads the drivers and tries to set the clock speeds, it's too much for the card to handle. I see you have the 1080SC, try clocking it down to normal 1080 speeds. Might buy you some time. But my guess is your going to need a new GPU.

Dec 4, 2021
In my experience this is because the GPU is dying. I'm sorry to give bad news. What's happening is every time it loads the drivers and tries to set the clock speeds, it's too much for the card to handle. I see you have the 1080SC, try clocking it down to normal 1080 speeds. Might buy you some time. But my guess is your going to need a new GPU.

you might have a point here, but the card is only 5 years old, and has never been overclocked. anyway its my cousin's pc and he lives in another city, so trying it will only be possible next weekend, thanks anyways

P.S. is it possible to lower the gpu clocks without having to use a software like afterburner? i have a feeling that it wont see the GPU

shiriken

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
When you get into windows check the GPU temp, fan speeds, and clocks speeds at idle and under load. Try removing and reseating the GPU. Try another PCIE slot, Check monitor cables and monitor settings.