Question Graphics Device Driver Error Code 22

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
Hi, Everyone!

I've given my old GPU (RX 580) to my Little Brother to replace his old GTX 1050, but for some reason whenever he tries to play a game (Genshin Impact, League of Legends, Roblox) his monitor goes black and just no signal, I've done quite a few troubleshooting steps such as updating the drivers, installing DirectX, updating the bios of his motherboard, using the base driver version w10 automatically installs to your GPU, but still we're getting the message about "graphics device driver error code 22". I've used DDU then attached-reattached the GPU and it actually worked, he can play the mentioned games but for some reason the next day he boots up the PC it goes back to the said error code after booting up a game. any help with this? Should I change his GPU to a downgraded one? since his old one doesn't use a 6 pin PCI-E connector and since his power supply doesn't have any PCI-E, we've just bought a Molex to 6-pin connector to power up his GPU.

(he currently has an old Asus monitor with only DVI-D and VGA ports but it runs on 1080p, but it's not recommended on his display resolution, he's kept it like that since it plays fine with his old 1050 and his now new GPU is DVI-D powered, I've used a Display Port back when I was still using it)

Any help with this? Thanks!!

his specs:
Intel Pentium 4600
Asrock Phantom Gaming-D RX 580 (8GB VRAM)
(4x2)8gb Team Group elite DRR4 Ram
Unknown PSU 750w

Ralston18

Titan
Check Device Manager:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix...e Code 22 error is,a lack of system resources.

Also:

Manually download the GPU drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. No third party installers or tools.

Do you have to go into BIOS to make changes to restore display?

As noted in the link clearing CMOS may help. I would also install a new CMOS battery - just as a matter of elimination.

Reactions: Weabman
since his old one doesn't use a 6 pin PCI-E connector and since his power supply doesn't have any PCI-E, we've just bought a Molex to 6-pin connector to power up his GPU.
That's unsafe way. Or more precisely fire hazard. You mention "unknown 750W PSU" with no PCIe connectors, and I imagine what we call here a "doorstep PSU" - that is a PSU shaped object that can only serve as door step, and certainly not to power PC. Also, this could be a cause of your black screen problem as well. I suppose you do have a better PSU in your PC, so move it to your brother's PC and see if that helps. But even if it does not help I would definitely not use it the way it is now.

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
Thank you for the replies! I'll try using my PSU on my brother's PC then if it still occurs I'll move on to Ralston18's suggestion and give an update if it's still having issues!

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
An update: I've bought a Gigabyte P550B an 80% Bronze rated PSU, and upon re-assembling my brother's PC...it won't turn on, the fans are still spinning, the keyboard turned on...however the EZ Debug LED is flashing red on the +CPU, I've checked the manual and did troubleshoots like reseating RAM, using iGPU, removing CMOS and reattaching it, still to no avail...his new processor is coming today which is an i5-7500 and the current motherboard he is using is an MSI H110M PRO-D.

upon re-assembling my brother's PC...it won't turn on, the fans are still spinning, the keyboard turned on...however the EZ Debug LED is flashing red on the +CPU
You sure you connected all cables? Particularly 4-pin EPS? 24-pin connector fully pushed into socket (sometimes they are very tight and need considerable force to push them in)?
Gigabyte PSUs are not highly regarded, might just be defective unit.
his new processor is coming today which is an i5-7500 and the current motherboard he is using is an MSI H110M PRO-D.
Make sure to update BIOS to at least 7996v2A version before dropping new CPU into motherboard, it won't work otherwise.

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
Thanks for the reply! yeah! I totally forgot about the 4-pin EPS and finally managed to open it! however....yup, it is indeed defective, the PSU broke my brother's SSD it's only 120gb but after opening the pc I heard a small pop and the ssd smelled like it just burned, but the other parts are still working (GPU/CPU fans) and just to be sure I also used the unknown generic PSU to his PC and used my own SSD and it works fine, but damn I gotta find a new SSD after the said defective PSU broke it (a replacement will arrive tomorrow too, I told them to test it out on some SSD's since the product they gave broke mine and it's a non-modular PSU, thought it only does that on modular PSU's)

Last edited:
There is lots going on with that PC and I'm sure your bro isn't too happy.
after opening the pc I heard a small pop and the ssd smelled like it just burned
That's a bit weird. This could happen if Gigabyte PSU would have wrong voltages on SATA cable - and that would be even more grave mistake then we could expect from them. Well, I guess this is kind of things that can happen when you use low quality PSU, and it does not really matter now if the culprit was the new or old PSU.
it's a non-modular PSU, thought it only does that on modular PSU's
If you mix cables on modular PSU you surely get this result. But there is nothing really preventing manufacturer to mess up cabling even on non-modular PSU.

In any case I suppose you didn't have a chance to check if different PSU solves original problem with GPU?

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
There is lots going on with that PC and I'm sure your bro isn't too happy.
Yeah, but he still gets to use mine if we're still trying to do some troubleshooting with it, also in regards of the GPU problem, it's fine! I've used it on my rig and did some updates+ benchmarks it's running well, will probably make a newer thread in regards of the PSU if the replacement one is still defective + they have to give me a new pair of SSD's too since it's their PSU that broke it (so much for telling me that they "tested" it). Also, thanks for the reply!

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
an update! the replacement PSU was delivered last night and they even video called me to show that the replacement was working both with an SSD and fans etc. and they told me that what they've given me was a low voltage one? I don't understand what they mean about that since it's the same product they've replaced (Gigabyte P550B) anyway, they did not have anything to replace the SSD's the PSU fried sadly...So I just gave my 120gb backup to my brother and after a while I've finally managed to update everything (Bios/Intel Chipset/GPU Drivers/Audio Drivers) and tried benchmarking it and finally the GPU works fine! I ran it with Heaven Benchmark and UserBenchmark though I could still feel a bit of bottlenecking since his new processor is only a used i5-7500T but overall it's working fine! Thanks Ralston & DRagor for the replies and help too!

Reactions: DRagor