Graphics distortion: due to video card or ram or?

nem2k2

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I upgraded my graphics card from a Leadtek Ti4200 AGP to an Albatron GF6600 GT AGP recently and I am experiencing graphical problems in games and some other non-3D screens.

For example, in GTA3 I get ghosting effects and the road markings are all screwed up, and on the title screen there are white blocks/lines over the GTA logo. In Max Payne 2, The intro movie has the same white blocks/lines and plays very slowly. In-game, there are problems with the lighting - instead of glare effects etc. from lamps, there are crazy white rectangles in the direction that the light is shining. Also, in MediaPortal (HTPC software) some of the graphics appear distorted with the same white blocks/lines (eg. the MP animation in the ProjectX skin, and the Weather icons) The card performs fine, no slowdown in-game, it just has these annoying glitches.

Because everything was working fine with the previous Ti4200 card, I sent the new card back. The vendor tested it by running it on 3dmark2005 for several hours, saying they found no problems (and demanded payment for their troubles :/ they didnt even try the games/apps I told them about!). I tried 3dmark2005 as soon as I got home, and found similar lighting problems as described in Max Payne 2.

What is the likely cause of these graphical problems? I have already tried the following steps:

* changing nvidia drivers (using the most recent at present, tried a couple of previous versions which made the graphic problems in MP2 worse)
* unplugging all devices in my system apart from one hard drive and the power connector going into the video card (I have a 350W Enermax power supply, power should not be a problem)
* running the Ti4200 gave none of these problems with the most recent nvidia drivers

I did have a Leadtek 5200 Ultra AGP in the PC but it died just after a year of age (the screen would go all crazy colors and the computer would lock up 2mins after booting, sometimes less) - not sure if that was due to the card or something else...

turbo_mcgillicutty

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
it doesnt say in your post but what kind of monitor do you have? I had a similar problem as you did switching from a 9800pro to a PNY 6600gt, using the DVI input on my LCD. In GTA San Andreas, all the text on the menues were white blocks. I couldnt play the game. This happened a year ago so i cant really remember exactly what i did but i think that i changed a setting like "use alternate dvi timing" or "alternate dvi frequency" or something. If you dont have an LCD monitor and using the DVI input, i dont have a clue. I hope this helps some, and good luck!

nem2k2

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
it doesnt say in your post but what kind of monitor do you have? I had a similar problem as you did switching from a 9800pro to a PNY 6600gt, using the DVI input on my LCD. In GTA San Andreas, all the text on the menues were white blocks. I couldnt play the game. This happened a year ago so i cant really remember exactly what i did but i think that i changed a setting like "use alternate dvi timing" or "alternate dvi frequency" or something. If you dont have an LCD monitor and using the DVI input, i dont have a clue. I hope this helps some, and good luck!

Hi, thanks for your post. It is running on my CRT television at an odd resolution (it's my HTPC box) - the output is via a breakout box thing with component video (the green/blue/red cables). However, I tried switching to a spare 17" CRT (VGA input) and the problems are still present.

nem2k2

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
*bump* here's a screenshot of GTA:SA - see the stripes on CJ??

(if you can't see the image, go here)

I also get artifacts when running the DirectX 7 3D test (the DIrectX 9 test and the other one are fine)

turbo_mcgillicutty

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
i still have the 6600 and a comp i can throw it in. i dont have max payne but ill play with gta to see if i can recreate it. which driver version are you using?? I was also thinking that oblivion does the same thing with me except with grey-black squares when i have exterior shadows enabled. is there a shadow option in the graphics setup? just a thought....

nem2k2

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Ok I found the problem, I tried pulling each device out of my PC one by one, and when that didn't work I tried installing the motherboard drivers that came on the CD with the motherboard.. cleared the problem right up 8O I think I need to learn to be patient instead of blaming the vendor when the card doesn't work out of the box :p

turbo_mcgillicutty

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
good that you found the problem. I had that vid card in my other machine trying everything and its brother to get the problems to come up and i couldnt. good to hear you fixed it!!