Question Graphics driver incompatible with my Windows version, system doesn’t recognize GPU ?

actualfox

Honorable
Oct 6, 2017
As of this writing, my GeForce 1060 isn’t showing in Device Manager, NVIDIA graphics driver installer claims that "the driver is incompatible with this version of Windows 10", and I’ve run out of things to try. I’ve already established that the graphics driver and OS are both 64-bit, but I can’t progress any further in solving this issue due to this supposed incompatibility. I’ve attempted to uninstall suspect programs and even update the OS. No solution as of yet.

All I’ve been able to determine is that these two “quality updates” were installed the night this started:

~ 2022-04 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64 (KB5012117)
~ 2022-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64 (KB5012599)

As far as I’m aware, I have not (willingly) installed any other program in the last several days. I know for a fact that my GPU was recognized by the system and functioning perfectly fine two days ago.

I’d appreciate any advice or assistance that you can provide in helping solve this issue. Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
which version of win 10

1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 21H2

21H2 should be offering itself, I recently updated a VM of 10 to 21H2 and it shows as possibly an optional update. it didn't seem to do much either.

where are you getting GPU drivers from?

actualfox

Honorable
Oct 6, 2017
Was the card working before? or you just got it from somebody?

As I mentioned in the original post, it was working fine before this all started. What I didn’t share is that I’ve had this GPU since 2019. I’ve had no issues with it until now, but again, I suspect it might not even be the GPU to begin with.

Can you show screenshot from GPU-Z ? (upload to imgur.c

I can’t because, as I said, my system is not recognizing the GPU. All GPU-Z is telling me is the stats for my integrated graphics.

The card might be fake or dead.

I received this 1060 from MSI when I RMA’d a malfunctioning GPU. If it’s a fake, they did a fantastic job. I’m not certain it’s dead, but that the reason for this thread to begin with.

actualfox

Honorable
Oct 6, 2017
I was already on 21H2 before accepting another update last night. The graphics driver installer continues to claim an incompatibility with Windows 10, same as before I updated it.

I had initially tried to use GeForce Experience to install/reinstall drivers, then went to NVIDIA to download drivers off their website. No luck in either event.

Apr 14, 2022
As of this writing, my GeForce 1060 isn’t showing in Device Manager, NVIDIA graphics driver installer claims that "the driver is incompatible with this version of Windows 10", and I’ve run out of things to try. I’ve already established that the graphics driver and OS are both 64-bit, but I can’t progress any further in solving this issue due to this supposed incompatibility. I’ve attempted to uninstall suspect programs and even update the OS. No solution as of yet.

All I’ve been able to determine is that these two “quality updates” were installed the night this started:

~ 2022-04 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64 (KB5012117)
~ 2022-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64 (KB5012599)

As far as I’m aware, I have not (willingly) installed any other program in the last several days. I know for a fact that my GPU was recognized by the system and functioning perfectly fine two days ago.

I’d appreciate any advice or assistance that you can provide in helping solve this issue. Thanks!
Hello

I have been struggling with the Update with a design software AlphaCam tonight, My Software worked yesterday and then it installed the KB5012117 .net framework Cumulative update for 3.5 & 4.8 and it stopped quite a few programs I have finally uninstalled it and my .net programs have now started to work after removing the update so my guess will be for that and guessing it will effect many different people in different ways.

I have already found people struggling to run web browsers after this update has ran.

it certainly won't hurt to remove the update and test it because it will then try and re-install again after anyway but at least you will then know the cause.

thanks

actualfox

Honorable
Oct 6, 2017
My Software worked yesterday and then it installed the KB5012117 .net framework Cumulative update for 3.5 & 4.8 and it stopped quite a few programs I have finally uninstalled it and my .net programs have now started to work after removing the update

it certainly won't hurt to remove the update and test it because it will then try and re-install again after anyway but at least you will then know the cause.

I appreciate the suggestion, as it was a good idea, but unfortunately it hasn’t fixed the issue for me.

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
Do you have another machine you can use or borrow, then make a boot-able Linux USB Drive or DVD (not too sure whether your machine has a DVD drive). See if that works. Linux Mint is a popular distribution, although most distributions should work for testing purposes.

Can you get into the BIOS setup screen or does that not work either?

{GoofyOne's 2c worth ... which may, or may not be actually worth 2c}

actualfox

Honorable
Oct 6, 2017
Update: I decided to go scorched earth. I reinstalled Windows using a bootable drive I kept on standby from when I first built my computer in 2019. I made sure that it’s not connected to the internet. With it, I installed Windows 1903 (OS Build 18362.175, though I’m not sure if that’s relevant) and attempted to install NVIDIA Graphics Driver 431.36, the same driver I had initially installed when I built this system. I know for a fact that both of these played well together when I first started getting this computer up and running.

You can imagine my surprise, then, when the same messages showed up again:
~ “this NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows”
~ “this graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware”

I can understand the second message if my GPU was dead, which I still don’t fully believe as I’ve had zero indication that it was dying in the weeks leading up to this. However, the first message is utterly baffling to me. I reformatted my boot drive, reverted to a older version of Windows, used a version of the graphics driver I know worked, and it STILL claims that it’s incompatible?

There has to be something I’m missing. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

actualfox

Honorable
Oct 6, 2017
What specific MSI model is this?

It’s a MSI GeForce 1060 6GT OCV1. As I mentioned before, I received it from MSI in 2019 as a replacement for another 1060 I had to RMA.

BTW - is monitor connected to graphics card or to integrated graphics (video output on motherboard)?

As the GPU is not recognized by the system, I’ve been using the integrated graphics via a HDMI cable connected to the motherboard. Because my monitor is silly, it cycles from DisplayPort to HDMI when it powers on. Even when I’ve had the DisplayPort cable plugged into the GPU, which has only been about 40% of the time at most, I’ve yet to see my monitor respond to it.

You could try reflashing vbios to it.

I’ve tried everything else I can think of. Might as well, assuming I can even do so since it won’t show up in Device Manager or anywhere else, as far as I can tell. Any suggestions?

As the GPU is not recognized by the system, I’ve been using the integrated graphics via a HDMI cable connected to the motherboard. Because my monitor is silly, it cycles from DisplayPort to HDMI when it powers on. Even when I’ve had the DisplayPort cable plugged into the GPU, which has only been about 40% of the time at most, I’ve yet to see my monitor respond to it.
Shutdown your pc,
Disconnect monitor from motherboard and connect to graphics card,
Startup your pc.
What happens? Do you get BIOS post screen? Can it load into windows?

Driver may not allow installing itself, if monitor is not connected to graphcs card.

actualfox

Honorable
Oct 6, 2017
Shutdown your pc,
Disconnect monitor from motherboard and connect to graphics card,
Startup your pc.
What happens? Do you get BIOS post screen? Can it load into windows?

Driver may not allow installing itself, if monitor is not connected to graphcs card.

When connected solely to the 1060, the monitor doesn’t receive any signal. I’ve mentioned before that my computer does not register the graphics card, which would explain why nothing is happening.

I’ve loaded into Windows and the computer BIOS multiple times while connected to the motherboard. To me, this sounds like a disconnect somewhere else or a dead GPU. Again, to find that out is the whole reason why I’m asking.

I’ve reseated my GPU and looked for any signs of physical damage. I found nothing and the system continues to behave in the same manner.

I’m reluctant to purchase a new GPU, partially due to the high prices, but primarily because I don’t know what’s causing this issue. I’m afraid to spend multiple hundreds of dollars only to find that nothing has changed and it was a software issue the whole time.

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
I do not know how you would check it, or even fix it but ... there have been stories about hackers making fake Nvidia GPU Drivers. See this story ... Fake GPU Drivers Sorry for cheering you up further but I remember reading about it.

I seem to remember reading something about hackers using the video card BIOS somehow also. I think that required physical access to the machine though, can't remember.

Hope your issues get resolved somehow.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth}