grey ribines

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
The grey ribines that are in a case. They are used to hook up the MB to the disk drive, cd rom ,dvd drive, hard drive. They are a bit long. Do they have to be long like that?

zemuron

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
LOL LOL. I won't do that because they might not work after that.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by zemuron on 10/06/05 08:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've taken them apart and put them together at different lengths, but you're not 1337 'nough.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

I've modified ribbon cables before when I only had 1 master drive to hookup on an IDE channel, by using a razor blade to cut the wire ribbon off clean on the Master side of the Slave connector, then inspecting with a magnifying glass to make sure all wires are clean cut with no metal particles left behind to short out neighboring wires.

I've cut many of them and never had any problems after the modification, if thats what you may be considering.

AMD XP 3200+ / Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe / Corsair XMS PC3200 1024mb LLC2 / ATI X850 Pro / SoundBlaster X-FI / 2 Seagate SATA 7200rpm/8mb / Plextor PX-716A DVDRW

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
If you search around, there are some sites that are selling 10" and 6" rounded IDE cables. The only IDE device I have is my DVDR drive and it's right next to the mobo connectors. I got a 6" cable from frozencpu.com for like $3.99.