Question GTA 5 is only running at around 50-70 fps with the GTX 1660 Ti

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

C1rm0ska

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023
Hello!
I have a GTX 1660 Ti and whenever I'm playing GTA 5 online, I only get around 50-70 fps.
My friend with a GTX 1050 Ti is getting 100+ fps, so I don't understand this anymore.
The GPU is hardly used by the game

C1rm0ska

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023
Even on a 240hz montior 50-70FPS should not be horrible. Man I have played games at 30FPS and lived just fine for years.

You list no specs.

We need the full build settings.
The blur and the choppyness is annoying me. I can't do much bout it.

Motherboard: HP 8860
RAM: Samsung M378A2G43AB3-CWE 1x16GB
Storage:
Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018)
Samsung MZVLQ512HALU-000H1 512GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660-Ti
CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The blur and the choppyness is annoying me. I can't do much bout it.

Motherboard: HP 8860
RAM: Samsung M378A2G43AB3-CWE 1x16GB
Storage:
Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018)
Samsung MZVLQ512HALU-000H1 512GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660-Ti
CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F

I see. Hows the cooling in that? HP, or any oem builds aren't known for decent cooling, very subpar 'just enough to get by' for the average user. Check your temps under load with Core Temp or similar. Does case have an exhaust fan at least to remove hot air dumped by the graphics card?

Might want to consider doing complete wipe and reinstall of Windows as well. It'll activate automatically again once you sign into your ms account. Getting rid of all the junk and bloatware HP installs on their prebuilts and fresh lean Windows is probably what the system needs. Use Windows media creation tool to configure usb stick. Search Win10 or 11, whichever one you're using and put media creation tool.

If you knew what power supply is in it and what pcie supplementary plugs it supports (6 or 6+2pin to gpu power) you probably could upgrade gpu if you wanted. I mean there'd be models no bigger than the card you have now and motherboard generation is too recent not to have any issues either.

First check your cooling, maybe open case panel if it gets a bit toasty, like touching 90c or something. And really consider reinstall. Windows should have most drivers sorted itself but network driver might be an issue so grab the driver from HP just incase.

Last edited:

C1rm0ska

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023
I see. Hows the cooling in that? HP, or any oem builds aren't known for decent cooling, very subpar 'just enough to get by' for the average user. Check your temps under load with Core Temp or similar. Does case have an exhaust fan at least to remove hot air dumped by the graphics card?

Might want to consider doing complete wipe and reinstall of Windows as well. It'll activate automatically again once you sign into your ms account. Getting rid of all the junk and bloatware HP installs on their prebuilts and fresh lean Windows is probably what the system needs. Use Windows media creation tool to configure usb stick. Search Win10 or 11, whichever one you're using and put media creation tool.

If you knew what power supply is in it and what pcie supplementary plugs it supports (6 or 6+2pin to gpu power) you probably could upgrade gpu if you wanted. I mean there'd be models no bigger than the card you have now and motherboard generation is too recent not to have any issues either.

First check your cooling, maybe open case panel if it gets a bit toasty, like touching 90c or something. And really consider reinstall. Windows should have most drivers sorted itself but network driver might be an issue so grab the driver from HP just incase.
I have bought a now mobo and a new case. (Asus TUF B560M-Plus WIFI | Liancool Lian Li 216 )

C1rm0ska

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023

The GPU temp is around 60 Celsius and the CPU is around 50-70 Celsius, can't test it now.

GPU needs 6+2 pin

C1rm0ska

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023

I also reinstalled windows 10

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Playing GTA V pc online in a public session also affects possible maximum fps, try a closed friend session to see if there is any link to this theory on your pc and your internet connection.

This might not be of any use, but it's a known fact that in busy sessions in online your gpu will not make it's top fps most of the time, there might even be some lag and spikes in the fps rendering as well.

C1rm0ska

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023
You got 1 stick of RAM? That's bad. Get a 2x8GB kit, they cost under 40 bucks for 3200MHz CL16 nowadays. Single channel RAM is one of the worst bottle necks and might explain the low GPU utilization.
But it ran perfectly with my other GPU (GTX 1650 Super)
Same RAM stick, only the GPU has changed and since then, the motherboard and the PSU.
Something must be wrong somewhere, but I don't know where.. Literally every game runs perfectly...

C1rm0ska

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023
Playing GTA V pc online in a public session also affects possible maximum fps, try a closed friend session to see if there is any link to this theory on your pc and your internet connection.

This might not be of any use, but it's a known fact that in busy sessions in online your gpu will not make it's top fps most of the time, there might even be some lag and spikes in the fps rendering as well.
I had no issues at all with the GTX 1650 Super, only with the GTX 1660 Ti
Didn't matter where I was (online or story mode), it was perfect.

Just throwing this out there, GTA5 loves fast CPU's, For example I had a 780ti SLI setup on a FX8320 at 5ghz, I moved to an i7 3770s but kept the Ram and the SLI 780ti's, the 780ti's were also at 8x speeds compared to x16 on the AMD system, that i7 blew that AMD rig out of the water in that game even though the i7 3770s was at stock speeds.

If you got a slower CPU, that could really change up the results between systems.

Good Luck!

C1rm0ska

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023
Just throwing this out there, GTA5 loves fast CPU's, For example I had a 780ti SLI setup on a FX8320 at 5ghz, I moved to an i7 3770s but kept the Ram and the SLI 780ti's, the 780ti's were also at 8x speeds compared to x16 on the AMD system, that i7 blew that AMD rig out of the water in that game even though the i7 3770s was at stock speeds.

If you got a slower CPU, that could really change up the results between systems.

Good Luck!
Hi, my cpu is reasonably fast. I5-11400F
I only bought a new GPU, but it got worse for GTA 5

C1rm0ska

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023
What PSU do you have and do you still have only 1 stick of RAM?
I don't know exactly the PSU, but it's a 700 watt PSU.
It was the same with the 300 watt PSU.
Yes, I still have only 1 stick of RAM.

Could that actually be the problem?

Better GPU, still only 1 stick of RAM.
There could be a bottleneck between the RAM and the stronger GPU.
But I don't understand why this happens only in GTA 5..
Even cyberpunk on high and a few settings on max is running with 65-85 fps

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I don't know exactly the PSU, but it's a 700 watt PSU.
It was the same with the 300 watt PSU.
Yes, I still have only 1 stick of RAM.

Could that actually be the problem?

Better GPU, still only 1 stick of RAM.
There could be a bottleneck between the RAM and the stronger GPU.
But I don't understand why this happens only in GTA 5..
Even cyberpunk on high and a few settings on max is running with 65-85 fps
Yes it could be the problem, because if you have only one stick of ram then your pc isn't utilizing it's dual memory capability, witch severely impacts gaming performance if you don't have at least two matching sticks of ram, even then you should check in the bios or uefi that it is enabled.

C1rm0ska

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023
Yes it could be the problem, because if you have only one stick of ram then your pc isn't utilizing it's dual memory capability, witch severely impacts gaming performance if you don't have at least two matching sticks of ram, even then you should check in the bios or uefi that it is enabled.
But why would this only appear in GTA 5?

But why would this only appear in GTA 5?
The RAM issue in GTA V is EXTREMELY well documented, even on Intel silicon. Dual channel RAM for gaming is strongly recommended, whether it's IGPU (a MUST) or Discrete. The symptoms in GTA V specifically are low framerates, lower than expected CPU and GPU utilization with an uncapped framerate (neither is at 100%, when one or the other should be.). It simply comes down to one game engine vs another in how they respond. GTA V is known to be a bit quirky with both this, and getting stuttery above certain framerates.

Reactions: iTRiP

C1rm0ska

Prominent
Jan 17, 2023
The RAM issue in GTA V is EXTREMELY well documented, even on Intel silicon. Dual channel RAM for gaming is strongly recommended, whether it's IGPU (a MUST) or Discrete. The symptoms in GTA V specifically are low framerates, lower than expected CPU and GPU utilization with an uncapped framerate (neither is at 100%, when one or the other should be.). It simply comes down to one game engine vs another in how they respond. GTA V is known to be a bit quirky with both this, and getting stuttery above certain framerates.
So..
I bought this RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 (PC4-28800) C18 1.35V
and I barely get more fps with this better RAM in dual channel (A2 & B2).
Average 10 fps more, but still not better than with the GTX 1650 Super with 1 slot RAM.