Question GTA online crashes after a few minutes!

Jun 11, 2021
My RIG:
Processor: Ryzen 3 1300X
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Ram: 8GB 2666 MHz*1
GPU: RX 480 8GB

So,I recently installed GTA 5 from Epic Games. After settings the graphic settings to 1080p high,I hopped in to a GTA online public server. Game crashed after 5 minutes of playing. Relaunched the game,again same! Then I turned on the radeon overlay to check if the temps are ok. Both CPU & GPU temps were completely normal(around 65C). But the RAM and VRAM utilization was kinda bizzare;at the start point, VRAM Util. was around 2GB and RAM Util. was around 3-4GB,but after starting online session both VRAM & RAM usage gradually increased to 7.8-8GB and then the game crashed,sometimes the whole PC hangs that I have to force shut down and restart it. Changed the graphic settings to 720p low in case it is for insufficient RAM,but nothing changed,crashes after reaching maximum RAM util. even in that <Mod Edit> graphic!! :'( I thought it might be my Radeon driver that's causing the problems. So I re-installed the video driver,double checked other drivers and updated if needed. Then launched the game,same crash again.

Is there any solution to my problem? and what exactly is causing the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Darn, a psu which I can't find any reviews of... well, quality is up in the air for that one...
Whole PC hanging can still be psu - I've seen that one myself, and total power consumption isn't everything either; there may be power spikes that aren't being picked up. Try capping the gpu power limit to 50% or something and see if it changes anything.

Are you given any kind of error message when the crashes happen?

Jun 11, 2021
Darn, a psu which I can't find any reviews of... well, quality is up in the air for that one...
Whole PC hanging can still be psu - I've seen that one myself, and total power consumption isn't everything either; there may be power spikes that aren't being picked up. Try capping the gpu power limit to 50% or something and see if it changes anything.

Are you given any kind of error message when the crashes happen?
Did what you just said. Still no changes. And I don't think it is for insufficient RAM; cz 3 of my friend playing at 720p medium with just a 8gb stick installed into their PC,where i am sticking to 720p low. Also the ram usage in the overlay does not jump to the maximum value. It starts from 5.5GB( 4GB at Main Menu).
Crash massages are not fixed either! random error shows up after the game crashes. And it's pretty bizzare that GTA 5 using 8GB of VRAM even at 720p low,isn't it?
I'm thinking of clean Windows re-install & see if that helps.
I'll also keep your words in mind,if windows re-install doesn't fix the problem will try with CV650.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If only this title acts up out of 5 or so more in your library... not sure a Windows clean install will fix that...

random error shows up after the game crashes.
If you are able to see what these messages say, it may point us towards the source of the problem.
That's why I asked about it, but if the message pops on and off too quickly, then gonna have to check Reliability Monitor and see if it shows anything from that time period.

And it's pretty bizzare that GTA 5 using 8GB of VRAM even at 720p low,isn't it?
Game engine does like ram, but you could be experiencing a memory leak.
From what I'm reading, it's something Rockstar never really tried to fix. Question is, what could I link that might work for you..?

Jun 11, 2021
If only this title acts up out of 5 or so more in your library... not sure a Windows clean install will fix that...
Nope,its not the only one. Mafia DE also acting same.
If you are able to see what these messages say, it may point us towards the source of the problem.
Sometimes they say there are problems with the video driver,and sometimes there are no error massage at all.