Discussion "GTA Trilogy: The Definitive Edition", PC Requirements & Graphics features leaked !

Okay, I'm actually interested in playing these OLD GTA games as I have never played these 3 titles before. Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Just hopped on GTA 5, but couldn't complete the full game though. But the game was real fun. I'm not mostly into GTA-type of games, but after watching some old video gameplay footage of these 3 titles, a little interest has been piqued inside of me. !

I heard GTA 3 is the best game in this entire franchise ? Anyway, some fresh "leaked info" I wanted to share. It appears that GTA Forums member alloc8or has leaked the first graphics details for Grand Theft Auto Trilogy: The Definitive Edition. Not only that, but alloc8or has also leaked the official PC requirements for this upcoming trilogy.

According to a press release, GTA Trilogy: The Definitive Edition will feature high-resolution textures, increased draw distances and GTA 5-style controls.

“Three iconic cities, three epic stories. Play the genre-defining classics of the original Grand Theft Auto Trilogy: Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas updated for a new generation, now with across-the-board enhancements including brilliant new lighting and environmental upgrades, high-resolution textures, increased draw distances, Grand Theft Auto V-style controls and targeting, and much more, bringing these beloved worlds to life with all new levels of detail.”

Additionally, and according to the leaked PC requirements, these remasters will require 45GB of free hard-disk space. Moreover, Rockstar has listed the Intel Core i5-2700K and the AMD FX-6300 as the minimum required CPUs. As for the graphics cards, the Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 and the AMD Radeon R9 280 are the minimum required GPUs.

Grand Theft Auto Trilogy: The Definitive Edition PC Requirements

Minimum:
  • Intel Core i5-2700K / AMD FX-6300
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 2GB / AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 45 GB Storage Space
  • Windows 10
Recommended:
  • Intel Core i7-6600K / AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB / AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 45 GB Storage Space
  • Windows 10
Source: https://gtaforums.com/topic/976221-...ally-announced-coming-soon/page/251/#comments

Btw, which old GTA game is the best in terms of gameplay, story, and combat mechanics ? Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City or Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. ? Not including GTA 5 here though. :unsure:
3 and vice are too old now, they are really hard to look at and have really wonky controls also on new systems they don't run right.
San andreas is still very playable today and the first two top down games are also great.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Some slight Update on this game trilogy.

Take-Two and Rockstar have announced that Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition will release on November 11th 2021. A new trailer that packs some comparison scenes between the original and the remastered games has also been shared.

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition will be available digitally on November 11 through the PlayStation Store, the Microsoft Store on Xbox, Nintendo eShop, and the Rockstar Games Launcher, with a physical release on December 7 for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PlayStation 4.
via GTABASE.

It appears that these remasters will also support Nvidia's DLSS AI upscaling tech. According to Rockstar, Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition will feature higher resolution textures. Players can expect better textures on characters, weapons, vehicles and roads. The 3D character models also appear to be better, though they now have a more cartoonish look to them, IMO.

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition will also have a new lighting system with better shadows and reflections. Additionally, the remasters will have improved water and weather effects. Not only that, but they will come with enhanced detail in trees and foliage. And, lastly, we can also expect better draw distances for all three of these remasters.

Additional enhancements across all three titles include a completely rebuilt lighting system; improved shadows, weather, and reflections; upgraded character and vehicle models; along with new higher resolution textures across buildings, weapons, roads, interiors, and more. Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition also features a range of environmental upgrades including all new foliage, smoother surfaces, and increased draw distances to provide a new level of depth and clarity throughout the world.
via GTABASE.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D71cBUeAL58&t=58s&ab_channel=RockstarGames

Some screenshots. Few of the Texture Models look a bit bland though.

Grand-Theft-Auto-The-Trilogy-%E2%80%93-The-Definitive-Edition-screenshots-1.jpg
Grand-Theft-Auto-The-Trilogy-%E2%80%93-The-Definitive-Edition-screenshots-4-scaled.jpg

Grand-Theft-Auto-The-Trilogy-%E2%80%93-The-Definitive-Edition-screenshots-9-scaled.jpg

Grand-Theft-Auto-The-Trilogy-%E2%80%93-The-Definitive-Edition-screenshots-11-scaled.jpg

Grand-Theft-Auto-The-Trilogy-%E2%80%93-The-Definitive-Edition-screenshots-10.jpg

Grand-Theft-Auto-The-Trilogy-%E2%80%93-The-Definitive-Edition-screenshots-3.jpg

Grand-Theft-Auto-The-Trilogy-%E2%80%93-The-Definitive-Edition-screenshots-12-scaled.jpg

Source: https://www.gtabase.com/news/gta-tr...ils-release-date-screenshots-trailer-revealed

Reactions: alceryes and boju
YouTube’s ENXGMA and Real KeV3n have shared two videos, detailing some of the graphical differences between the original and the remastered versions of GTA 3, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas.

As we can see, the remasters feature better view distance, a better lighting system, and better textures. Moreover, they pack better 3D models (even for some environmental objects), and gorgeous reflections.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NglSuMJ5vhY&ab_channel=ENXGMA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVSghgJydRg&ab_channel=RealKeV3n

Reactions: boju
I was hoping for more of a Black Mesa vs Original Half Life level of transformation on San Andreas, but clearly it's nowhere near that, so I will pass on these remasters.

Yeah actually, this whole trilogy remaster is a disaster right now. Performance issues even on high-end PCs, Rockstar launcher issues, graphic/visual glitches, among other things. Actually the character Models/NPCs looks horrible in this remaster. I guess the original vanilla games look and play MUCH much better than this Trilogy, with Graphics and gameplay MODS installed.

Moreover, the launch of this Trilogy Definitive Edition is going poorly, with gamers on consoles reporting performance issues while PC gamers have found themselves unable to play the game due to issues with Rockstar's PC games launcher. On PC, the situation is bad enough to force 'Grand Theft Auto Online' and 'Red Dead Redemption Online' offline, rendering Rockstar Games' online titles unplayable on PC.

On Rockstar's website, the company has removed the PC version of Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - Definitive Edition from sale. So far, the Rockstar launcher has remained offline for more than a day, preventing PC gamers from playing the game that they have paid for. Not only has this launch been a disaster that it has impacted all of Rockstar's online games.

What makes this launch even crazier is the fact that Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - Definitive Edition does not require online connectivity. All three games with the trilogy are single-player titles. None of these games need deep launcher integration and neither do they need an internet connection. There is no legitimate reason why Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - Definitive Edition should have caused these kinds of issues, making the anger that PC gamers have against Rockstar very legitimate.

On Twitter, Rockstar Support has stated that "Services for the Rockstar Games Launcher and supported titles are temporarily offline for maintenance. Services will return as soon as maintenance is completed." Currently, there is no ETA for when the company's maintenance will be complete.

There is only one reason why Rockstar has made its games exclusive to their launcher on PC at launch, and that reason is money IMO. This launch has proven that Rockstar's launcher cannot be trusted to work when a new game is launched, and if Rockstar cannot even get that right, they should consider moving their games to other platforms.

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition should have launched on Steam, the Epic Games Store, and/or other proven PC launchers. Rockstar releases too few games for their launcher to be seen as appealing. Rockstar either needs a better PC launcher, or they need to move all of their games to Steam and other PC platforms. A game launch like this is unacceptable, especially for a single-player only game. Single-player games should be free of server/launcher related issues.

12115822971l.jpg

Last edited:
That's so true right now, honestly speaking. ! It has turned into an "Anti-social" club service more like ! LOL.

BTW, since I have never played these games on PC, it seems I should abandon all hope of playing these now. I doubt Rockstar is going to release a more polished and optimized version of this trilogy, despite all this backlash. They actually outsourced this game to an incompetent game development studio. Forgot the name though.

But thankfully, I didn't buy this Trilogy yet. Not sure if the original vanilla game titles can be easily played on the latest PC hardware, and on widescreen resolutions, among other things though ? But let me scour the internet now to get some answers to this.

But thankfully, I didn't buy this Trilogy yet. Not sure if the original vanilla game titles can be easily played on the latest PC hardware, and on widescreen resolutions, among other things though ? But let me scour the internet now to get some answers to this.
Nope, unless you use mods and that can become messy.
If you want the original games my suggestion would be to just run them on the playstation 2 emulator, the discs are a couple of bucks each on the fleabay.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Nope, unless you use mods and that can become messy.
If you want the original games my suggestion would be to just run them on the playstation 2 emulator, the discs are a couple of bucks each on the fleabay.

Thanks for the reply, Terry. Yes, I know about that PS Emulator, but I haven't tried playing a console game via any emulator on my PC yet. I prefer original PC ports above all, but there are some PlayStation-exclusive titles which I really would like to try out on the PC. KILLZONE game is one of them ! Too bad this game never got released for Windows PC.

But let me see if I can get a hold of the original disks of these 3 GTA titles. Never bought anything from Fleabay though. And yes, using MODS with any old PC version of GTA Trilogy can get a bit messy for sure.

FWIW, this gets even better or worse, if you take it from a different perspective. The entire ''source code'' for Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition has been leaked.

According to Vadim M., the Nintendo Switch version contained all the source code for GTA: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition. This way, players can access the script source, text sources, internal tools, and some other files. This is a huge leak, although you might not expect modders to use this source code to create mods for it. In the end, this will get them into serious trouble.

However, the PC version does not contain the game’s source code. And, the game is still not available for purchase from the Rockstar Store. According to the team, the game will be available after removing some files from them.

View: https://twitter.com/NationalPepper/status/1459294881139023874?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I really don't think source code info is needed on the user end to mod. They only need access to SDK tools. The source code is something that should never be revealed to the public, and doesn't need be.

Whatever the case, it seems Rockstar really messed things up, and I have to wonder if it has something to do with Dan Houser having left recently, perhaps causing a huge hole in quality control. You'd think they'd protect their IP better.

It's not, but source code can be used to improve the game, iron out bugs, or just use it to make a new game, port it or even optimize it to some other platform, the possibilities are ,as they say, endless.
Yeah, obviously, but I was specifically referring to the part MM quoted where it was said the ENTIRE source code was leaked, much more than was necessary to simply make mods.

Needless to say Rockstar being lazy and cheap to farm out this remaster ended up being a huge security risk.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I don't want to be nasty, but that being said if you have ever played any of these games back in the day, they where master pieces.

Never go back only go forward, I once had to play SA again when I had no other compatible hardware that support newer games whilst I was building a replacement gaming pc and let me tell you it was epic but I was truly shocked at how ancient the gameplay was, I did however make a playthrough completion.

It's a admirable effort, but effort that could have been spared towards a new GTA instead, maybe it's some sort of funding toward a new GTA development thing going on here.

Last edited:
It's a admirable effort, but effort that could have been spared towards a new GTA instead, maybe it's some sort of funding toward a new GTA development thing going on here.
Bwahahaha gta V online has made rockstar one of the richest game developers out there, they don't need to release anything new anymore.
And the only reason they don't release gta 6 is because it would cut into their gta online winnings.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Bwahahaha gta V online has made rockstar one of the richest game developers out there, they don't need to release anything new anymore.
And the only reason they don't release gta 6 is because it would cut into their gta online winnings.

I surely hope your kidding, probably not, but there still hope, if you have ever seen the movie: readyplayerone that guy that made that game, that is what game developers must strive to be like, making a game not to make money of it, but instead to have the most players continuously enjoying it and then coming back for more. I cant say that I disagree with what rockstar had done with GTA V and online, I still have it installed and play it on the regular.

New game worlds are always wanted!, as long as the graphics engine executes fast from the point that a player decides to play and runs smooth on most hardware, it could like everyone expects be: games with more of exactly similar play, just a new world is required for each iteration in my opinion.

As for this definitive trilogy, go for it if you have never played the originals, sure to have a good time.

Last edited:
Modders are actually making a VR mode for this trilogy, but only for GTA:SA for now. Does this game even need a VR mode ? The Horologium Console mod basically adds Unreal Engine console into the game. Then, once you have launched the game, open the UE console, and type “GTA.VR 1”. Voila ! lol

Of course, it won't be as polished as other proper VR games like Half-Life: ALYX.

View: https://twitter.com/videotech_/status/1461848904547377157

Here is the UE console mod link:

https://www.nexusmods.com/grandtheftautothetrilogy/mods/112