May 18, 2020
I brought this Dell optiplex last year,and I wanted to upgrade it to a gaming PC,so I brought 8gb ram,ssd,and the gpu,I checked online if it is really compatible and it is,I put each component one by one in and each component worked except the gpu,I put the gpu in,and it booted up fine,then the gpu stopped working,the gpu fan stopped spinning,then the diagnostic lights show up,I checked online for a solution, apparently I had to reseat my CPU so I tried NOTHING STILL THE SAME.i literally have been having this issue for like a year and I literally have tried every troubleshooting in the world.please help

Specs:gtx 1050ti
i3 2100
wd green ssd
Corsair vengeance ddr3 (4x2) 1600mhz ram
Dell optiplex mt Mobo
I may have forgot some specs but I will provide you with as much information I have thanks

wong93

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
I brought this Dell optiplex last year,and I wanted to upgrade it to a gaming PC,so I brought 8gb ram,ssd,and the gpu,I checked online if it is really compatible and it is,I put each component one by one in and each component worked except the gpu,I put the gpu in,and it booted up fine,then the gpu stopped working,the gpu fan stopped spinning,then the diagnostic lights show up,I checked online for a solution, apparently I had to reseat my CPU so I tried NOTHING STILL THE SAME.i literally have been having this issue for like a year and I literally have tried every troubleshooting in the world.please help

i3 2100
wd green ssd
Dell optiplex mt Mobo
I may have forgot some specs but I will provide you with as much information I have thanks

I did a quick check, your PSU is only 240~265W. It is extremely risky and hard to make it work with this build.
Get a 400~500W PSU and your GPU will work immediately.

May 18, 2020
I did a quick check, your PSU is only 240~265W. It is extremely risky and hard to make it work with this build.
Get a 400~500W PSU and your GPU will work immediately.
I'm trying to save money,so I have this power supply,it is the powerlogic magnum 230 but on it it says pure/real power is 230W and max/peak power is 450W,should be okay to use this right?

i3 2100
wd green ssd
Dell optiplex mt Mobo
Are you sure you have UEFI and not a legacy Bios ? NVIDIA 10xx séries needs Uefi

May 18, 2020
Had to repost this thread because accidentally posted in the cooling section lol,anyways,here is the message

i3 2100
wd green ssd
Dell optiplex mt Mobo

This should work because this guy said it definitely would work

(was trying to make a budget gaming build for myself and I am quite new to PC building any help would be greatly appreciated 😃)

View: https://youtu.be/u233gq81slc

Mod Edit - Moved and Merged

Last edited by a moderator:

Magikkco

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
You shouldn't have gotten such a much more powerful GPU than your CPU, unless you're upgrading, it makes sense but capable CPU's for the 390 is very limited, so I would recommend just downgrading as the 2100 is non overclockable and is a dual core CPU.

May 18, 2020
You shouldn't have gotten such a much more powerful GPU than your CPU, unless you're upgrading, it makes sense but capable CPU's for the 390 is very limited, so I would recommend just downgrading as the 2100 is non overclockable and is a dual core CPU.
Also I'm not look forward to overclocking anything,just want a system that could run games well,maybe I could replace it with a i5 2400? Some users reported that i7 works on this system with the latest bios,but I have my doubts

Magikkco

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
Also I'm not look forward to overclocking anything,just want a system that could run games well,maybe I could replace it with a i5 2400? Some users reported that i7 works on this system with the latest bios,but I have my doubts
Sorry for late response, i don't know if you got a new CPU or not, but the i7 2600 is in fact able to work, Optiplex 390 utilizes a h61 chipset, the cpus listed in this page show them all

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/H61_Express.html

It is a sandy bridge cpu and goes in an lga 1155 socket board, so it should work fine, you would need to use a sandy bridge cpu to upgrade bios for dell motherboard and then you can apparently use Ivy Bridge cpu's like i7 3770 which is a slightly better CPU. Link below:

https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/support/faq_content.php?S_ID=513#:~:text=Yes, all of our H61,support latest Intel IvyBridge CPU.&text=To update BIOS, use Sandy,Bridge's on-board VGA core.

May 18, 2020
Sorry for late response, i don't know if you got a new CPU or not, but the i7 2600 is in fact able to work, Optiplex 390 utilizes a h61 chipset, the cpus listed in this page show them all

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/H61_Express.html

It is a sandy bridge cpu and goes in an lga 1155 socket board, so it should work fine, you would need to use a sandy bridge cpu to upgrade bios for dell motherboard and then you can apparently use Ivy Bridge cpu's like i7 3770 which is a slightly better CPU. Link below:

https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/support/faq_content.php?S_ID=513#:~:text=Yes, all of our H61,support latest Intel IvyBridge CPU.&text=To update BIOS, use Sandy,Bridge's on-board VGA core.

i cant find any i7 2600 cpus nor i7 3770 cpus in my region,i think ill just buy the i5 2400.oh and also,if i dont use the pc for a while and then suddenly boot from the integrated graphics on the i3 2100 currently installed, it will also show a black screen like what i stated in the thread.starting to suspect that it is the cpu's fault,but it could also be the psu's fault too,im really confused on what i should really do,it is either i experiment and waste my money on something that is not broken and the problem persists,or i spend my money then it fixes the problem,or i just dont buy anything.