GTX 1060 3Gb Stuttering Issue

JGxGamer

Commendable
May 28, 2016
So my games are stuttering and I do believe that the issue is due to low VRAM as my 1060 is the 3gb version however I was wondering if it is possible to find a way around this or just upgrade to the 6gb version.

PC Specs:
CPU- Ryzen 1300x
RAM- 8gb Ballistix Sport 2400mHz
GPU- Palit Dual Fan GTX 1060 3GB
Storage- 1TB Western Digital

Solution
If the reason vram might be causing your issues is if vram is maxed out and data is being swapped between ram and hdd. 8GB is on the low end, another 8 would help minimise hdd usage in modern games today. Check vram usage with msi afterburner.

Also check pagefile usage in afterburner. Being a hdd, you dont want it loading too much while playing.

Reinstall drivers using display driver uninstaller first in safemode in case its a driver bug.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If the reason vram might be causing your issues is if vram is maxed out and data is being swapped between ram and hdd. 8GB is on the low end, another 8 would help minimise hdd usage in modern games today. Check vram usage with msi afterburner.

Also check pagefile usage in afterburner. Being a hdd, you dont want it loading too much while playing.

Reinstall drivers using display driver uninstaller first in safemode in case its a driver bug.

Solution

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
i use a 1060 3GB and get no suttter. perhaps you have a bad driver, try rollback/system restore.

memory is used in priority, vram > system ram > emulated (pagefile). the first 2 are fast and theres generally not much difference unless you play the most demanding games. as boju points out, 8GB may not be enough for your computer to rely on system ram after the vram is full, and we all know the pagefile is demonically slow.

JGxGamer

Commendable
May 28, 2016

Thank you this seems to have helped the stuttering I tested on fortnite however i will test on some more games to see if results are similar.

3NERGY

Commendable
May 19, 2017
SOLUTION : add more ram if you were running intel cpu you wouldn't notice anything but you have amd ryzen and you should have dual channel ram ( even 4gb stick is enough of ddr 4 2400mhz ) just add 1 more stick