NTeodor

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Hi guys, I just upgrade to GTX 1060 3GB version from Gigabyte and is a very better card in comparison with my old GTX 750Ti 4GB from Gigabyte as well.
However I did this upgrade mainly for one single reason: DisplayPort output. I bought a year ago the PG278QR monitor from ASUS which is a 27" beast capable of 2K resolution in 165Hz refresh rate. However the HDMI connection is stuck at only 60Hz. At least the HDMI 1.4 I was using at the GTX 750Ti.
So I bought a new video card with DisplayPort output. But I have one issue here: The HDMI output works just fine, I am using it now to display image to write this thread, but the DisplayPort is not working at all. I have no idea why. Any ideas? The cable is working, I am sure of it, I tested it with another CPU of a friend with a GTX 1050Ti. And the monitor as well is working. But in my PC is not working. I always get the message: NO SIGNAL. What could be at fault here? My PC has an i5 2400 CPU with 8GB RAM quad channel 1333 Mhz and a Seasonic 80Plus 520W PSU. Is not relevant but I mention the storage as well: one SSD Kingstom 64GB, one SSD Gigabyte 512GB and one Seagate Barracuda HDD 2TB. Genesis RX39 keyboard and ASUS Cerberus mouse.
I tried to upgrade the nvidia driver and clean reinstalled it, the motherboard (Asus P8H67-M) has the latest BIOS update, I checked the cables, nothing seems to work. Any ideas which I could try?

NTeodor

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Yes. That's the first thing I did. The ASUS PG278QR has a nice menu on it's side where you can select a ton of things. And one of them is this Input Select menu, which has 2 options: Display Port and HDMI. And YES, I selected Display Port. But when I switch to Display Port it simply goes black and says NO SIGNAL.
I forgot to add this in my original post, but yes, this is the first thing I took into consideration! I wanted to add a photo which shows the menu I am reffering to, but I am including a link for better reference.
(Please note that this is a PG279Q model presented in the article but the differences are minor - https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm )

I was scrolling through Google yesterday struggling to find an answer to my problem. There was a similar post on another website and at least 20 people recommended and ACTUALLY stated that a simple yet weird fix works for them: They shut down the monitor and unplug it from power. And then wait about 5-10 minutes to completely discharge any electricity inside the monitor, and then put the power back, the DisplayPort cable and ...Voila! it works.
Now I haven't tried this method YET, now I am working, but when I get home from work I will try this method too.
Also I must mention that I am currently using BOTH HDMI and DisplayPort cables attached both to video card and monitor. I don't think this will have any kind of impact, but for the sake of work I will try to remove the HDMI cable and let only the DisplayPort cable attached so maybe the video card will know that there is a monitor attached and will send signal.
The monitor is pretty new, the video card is absolutely NEW, the DisplayPort cable is new (came with the monitor in the box) and barely used (I only used it for 1-2 days to check a computer of a friend) so I don't find any reason for this to not work.
But as mentioned, I will try the unplug power method and see if it works.
I will add another reply to this post in about 9-10 hours.
Thank you guys for helping me!

NTeodor

Reputable
Feb 13, 2016
Problem fixed. It turns out the DisplayPort cable was not properly inserted into the video card. My case has a weird shape and because of this the cable touches the top part of the case and is difficult to fit in. I had to push it a little forced and it clicked right in. And since than, my monitor accepted it plug and play. I had some small difficulties creating a custom resolution of 2560x1440 with 165Hz refresh rate, but I finally did it. Since then, no errors, no problems, no stuttering, no tearing, no artifacts. And the G-Sync works just fine.

Thank you all for helping me! And I hope that those of you which have this problem learn from my mistake!
Number 1 in DisplayPort cables: ALWAYS make sure the cable is PROPERLY attached both to monitor and video card :)