Question gtx 1060 fans on boot

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
asus geforce gtx 1060 gb dual

when first installing the card the fans didnt start up on boot, after reseating the card because i had to remove it to install Another ssd because
ports are Close to the card. After doing this the fans goes at high speed just Before boot then they slow down to 0 db mode as soon as windows
loads. I read this is normal but why didnt the card do this Before reaseating it?
Its nog big deal . temperatures are good and after windows loads it works as good as before but kind of annoying on startup.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Does it spin up the fans upon boot everytime you restart? I believe my 1060 does the same thing on a cold boot useally after unplugging the system and plugging it back in. My guess is it's just the GPU verfying the fans work during POST but im not sure on that. I wouldn't worry about it.

As said above the fans not spinning while the gpu is under 60c is perfectly normal with the stock fan profile.

Reactions: boju

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
i tried reseating it two more times and same thing happen. if i enter bios it goes full speed. if i let it boot into windows they go full speed a few seconds Before windows boots then they act just like before they go into 0 db mode and work as they did Before staying off until i put some load on it. possible i was to rough removing the card it was alil bit stuck in the pcie slot.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Wouldn't worry about it. The fans returning to normal speed is a good sign. If there was physical damage and fans continued to run full speed might there be something to worry about. Keep an eye on it for the next couple of days.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
the only thing that annoys me is why didnt it do it first time i installed it? is it possible its driver related it happend after installing Another hdd. i doubt its drivers though since it also happens after going into bios screen they stay at full speed.
if its possible its to remove dust does that mean it should go back to normal boot after doing that a few times?

thanks for your help

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
ok this happens from both Cold boot and restart. its like the cards bios is somehow not loaded like it was befor resaeating it.
i read about somebody having this problem with other card and it turned out that the fan Cable was slightly loose. would reaattaching heatsink checking fans void warranty on asus ?