Question GTX 1060 power limit

Sep 9, 2018
Hi everyone!
I have a brand new Palit GTX 1060 6gb gpu with single blower fan. When I play "heavy" games, my gpu often reaches around 80 Celsius.
In MSI Afterburner, if I roll down the temp limit to 70 celsius, or anything else is it HARMFUL to my gpu?
Because it effects to the power limit too, obviously. Is it a BAD thing?

NOTE: Please, I don't want any other answer to my question like buy a new card, your pc has bad airflow, you will get less FPS if you do that etc. I just need answers to my specific question, nothing else.
Thank you all, have a nice day!

liamwhalley20

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
No it shouldn't be harmful to the gpu, just means that it will under perform, instead of lowering temp limit why don't you try a more aggressive fan curve so that your fans are providing more cooling as temperature rises?

Sep 9, 2018
No it shouldn't be harmful to the gpu, just means that it will under perform, instead of lowering temp limit why don't you try a more aggressive fan curve so that your fans are providing more cooling as temperature rises?
Thanks for fast reply!
I already did that, before I launch a game, already set to 80%-90% That's why I looked for another solutions.

Last edited:

liamwhalley20

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
Ahh fair enough just wanted to make sure you knew that was an option, yes I suppose lowering your temp limit would be a good option to try, you could try and see if the thermal paste needs changing or reseating the heatsink, 80 is high yes but it isn't the temp limit for the gpu