Question GTX 1070 TI bought it yesterday now its dead. Flash bios or no?

AquaralSS

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
All of the hardware is fresh from the box less than 1 week old

Intel Core i5 8400
RAM Kingston 2 x 8 GB 2666Mhz
Mobo MSI B360M Pro-VH
PSU Cooler Master MWE 650W Full Modular rated 80+ Gold Certified
SSD UV500 m.2 240Gb Kingston
HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB

GPU GTX 1070 TI ASUS Cerberus
Duration use, less than 5 hours upon bought it on my local pc store.

I was able to run the card fine at 1st, able to run some game test and just to get frame result and benchmark.
Game tested,
R6S - PUBG - APEX LEGENDS - SQUAD
With different settings tested.

All of them ran just fine until, windows advise me to update (windows update package) and restart my pc.
PC Is a clean format, it was clean, i was just starting reinstalling all hardware related driver, it came to a point, when i record a video,
video just shows a green static line on top of the recorded videos using Windows Media Player.
I thought it could be a codec issues, but i leave it as it be.
UNTIL i decided to restart so that some related hardware drivers would take effect after doing so,
but unfortunately, its not going to be what i dreamt of.

Restarting, instantly, showing no bios post, only my pc fan is running, RGB keyboard still in effect, mouse is still in effect, case fan, cpu fan, gpu fan all is up spinning and running,
but just black screen. at this moment i knew, something is up, i decided to plugged my gpu out, power connector out and ran Onboard VGA
Which is yes, i was able to login windows, restart, go bios, setting boot onboard vga, plugged in my graphic card and power connector, and try to solve the issue

I have tried reinstalling the drivers, uninstall the drivers, install old drivers, update latest drivers, clean sweep of remaining nvidia folder and repeat installation,
format windows, Secure Erase SSD, safe boot DDU, and double check hardware related connector, power supply check, troubleshoot hardware, update drivers from windows, install drivers using the windows update,
manually driver installation, using the cd drivers that is provided along with the card, and still no luck.

I called in and they say, the GTX 1070 TI that i bought is the last batch, so, i was being told to trade with the GTX 1660 TI instead, which is not ideal because of the performance is totally far superior by margin
Which is led to me, should i flash bios?

GTX 1070 TI is years old, but the price that i bought the GTX 1070 TI 8GB is equally the same price as the current GTX 1660 TI OC.
The price drop which made me think that the GTX 1070 TI is worth keeping over GTX 1660 TI OC.

i am open to suggestion, maybe a piece of advice or any solution available for this thread. I have only 7 days to make a decision whether or not i should return the card trade in for GTX 1660 TI or keep the GTX 1070 TI.

Update, i have an old GTX970, i was able to boot using the GPU and installed the latest nvidia drivers.
Which meant, the ASUS GTX 1070 TI is at a faulty condition. Or was it? I have a hunch it IS CERTAINLY IS DRIVER RELATED ISSUES, because i was able to run the card fine and test games on it, until the restart which cost me this current problem.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Return it. Don't tinker with something for which you have actual consumer protections in place. Flashing a GPU BIOS is more a desperation move when a GPU isn't working and there's no RMA or return available.

Also make sure your PSU is of a quality you want to be running a 1070 Ti. Yours may very well be, but I don't like answering any GPU-related question without knowing the PSU involved, kinda like how you'll get your blood pressure checked at the start of any doctor visit.

AquaralSS

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
Return it. Don't tinker with something for which you have actual consumer protections in place. Flashing a GPU BIOS is more a desperation move when a GPU isn't working and there's no RMA or return available.

Also make sure your PSU is of a quality you want to be running a 1070 Ti. Yours may very well be, but I don't like answering any GPU-related question without knowing the PSU involved, kinda like how you'll get your blood pressure checked at the start of any doctor visit.

PSU Used is a 5 days old fresh from the box Cooler Master MWE 650 W Full Modular rated 80+ Gold Certified.

AquaralSS

Reputable
Jun 1, 2016
THE GTX 1070 TI which i bought yesterday is the last batch, no more stock ready to switch. Instead, the pc store asked me if i want to switch for a GTX 1660 / 1660TI instead? 6G ver.