[SOLVED] GTX 1070 WITH A WEIRD ISSUE

Jan 27, 2022
Hi, Apologies this is going to be long.
I bought a used GTX 1070 Founder's Edition from a local seller in Edmonton. The card was installed onto a Dell Aurora (My roommate's) with a i7-7700k & it gave no display output. It would turn on, system would post but no display output. I used the iGPU to check what's going on and the rig doesn't recognize a dGPU at all. My second rig which was a Dell Inspiron that had a i7-860 on it went good. The card was working and playing games decently. I found the card to boost to 1810MHz & run loud at 89 c but it was fine.
I wanted to test it to see what was the issue when I plugged it in the first time.
I tried it on a spare i5-3550 + B75 & it gave no display output.
Finally I used a Xeon X5670 + x58 rig & it worked normally.
I arrived at a conclusion that the gpu simply doesn't work when the processor's have iGPU on them.
Presently I am upgrading & I bought a Z390 with a i7-9700F. Now the frustration is it doesn't give any display output.
I used NV flash & tried a different founder's edition bios on it & still doesn't solve the issue,

What can I do next?

Solution
You do plug the display into the 1070 card and provide it with the additional power connector, right?
You do set init PCIe first (or whatever the option is called in your bios) right?
In your test system, where it posted and worked, would you try opening GPU-Z and checking the interface bandwidth? You are looking for x16 (no matter if 3.0 or 2.0), to make sure all lanes are working properly, otherwise, you might need a riser to get it to work.
2x5.png
You do plug the display into the 1070 card and provide it with the additional power connector, right?
You do set init PCIe first (or whatever the option is called in your bios) right?
In your test system, where it posted and worked, would you try opening GPU-Z and checking the interface bandwidth? You are looking for x16 (no matter if 3.0 or 2.0), to make sure all lanes are working properly, otherwise, you might need a riser to get it to work.
2x5.png

Solution
Jan 27, 2022
2x5.png
Hi, The GPUZ says PCI x16 2.0@x8 1.1 presently in the X5670 rig. I tried GPUZ render test and 1.1 changed to 2.0.
Perhaps does there exist a riser in that makes x16 3.0 to x8 3.0 could try in my new 9700F rig

If your motherboard supports UEFI BIOS, as opposed to classic BIOS, and you're using Display Port, you should run the NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 Displays. This will check to see if your video card requires a special firmware update to enable UEFI with Display Port. It's a fairly simple and painless way to fix one possible issue. You can run it as a check to see if your card is affected, then it can install the fix for you.

Hi, The GPUZ says PCI x16 2.0@x8 1.1 presently in the X5670 rig. I tried GPUZ render test and 1.1 changed to 2.0.
Perhaps does there exist a riser in that makes x16 3.0 to x8 3.0 could try in my new 9700F rig
It suggests that only 8 pairs are properly connected and work (out of 16)
On some systems, the order of pairs that are hooked up matters and the card is not being detected due to pair #1 (or any other) not being operational. On others it gets partial resource allocation. It is a little complicated.

If your goal is to get it going regardless of performance, getting a powered x8 or x4 riser card can solve the issue of card not being detected on 9th Intel. That is dependent on the first pcie lane being operational and my assumption being right.

Otherwise, assuming the card is properly inserted and motherboard/cpu operational w/o defects etc, you have a faulty card.

Jan 27, 2022
If your motherboard supports UEFI BIOS, as opposed to classic BIOS, and you're using Display Port, you should run the NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 Displays. This will check to see if your video card requires a special firmware update to enable UEFI with Display Port. It's a fairly simple and painless way to fix one possible issue. You can run it as a check to see if your card is affected, then it can install the fix for you.
Hi, I ran the updater & it said I need an update. After the update I swapped the card to the 9700F rig & the issue persists. So i believe it might boil down to the card having some sort of bug that will only allow it to run in x8 mode. When I try to boot in x16 3.0 on modern hardware the card neglects. I am going to get a riser that might help me try using the x1 slot on the new Z390 mobo to see if that makes a change.

Jan 27, 2022
It suggests that only 8 pairs are properly connected and work (out of 16)
On some systems, the order of pairs that are hooked up matters and the card is not being detected due to pair #1 (or any other) not being operational. On others it gets partial resource allocation. It is a little complicated.

If your goal is to get it going regardless of performance, getting a powered x8 or x4 riser card can solve the issue of card not being detected on 9th Intel. That is dependent on the first pcie lane being operational and my assumption being right.

Otherwise, assuming the card is properly inserted and motherboard/cpu operational w/o defects etc, you have a faulty card.
Hi, I don't mind a performance hit. I've checked with other cards and the Z390 + 9700F seem to be perfectly operational. The card has some sort of bug. I will try a x1 to x16 riser & tell you results.

Reactions: vov4ik_il

TRENDING THREADS