[SOLVED] GTX 1080 low FPS

Nov 22, 2021
Hello guys,
My problem is that I have bought PC w GTX 1080 and another GTX 1070 that I gave my friend.. But thing is, that my PC as averaging much lower fps than the 1070 ...
For example we play together Tom Clancy´s The division on Ultra and my friend has 70-80fps with no shutter.. But my PC is making only 40-50..
I think the PC I gave him is intel i5 8xxx and 16gb RAM.
In my PC I have Ryzen 7 1700 and 32gb ram
I am using 27 WQHD monitor w 1440p..
Any idea what could be the problem ? Should I buy newer CPU ?

Oh by the way I tried Fullscreen/Borderless, Vsyc OFF/ON pretty much all in game settings, by my experience yet It does this in all Ubisoft games ... Other games are not running at best, but at least 60fps.. My performance overlay says that GPU is 90-100% and CPU is around 50%.. Could the problem be that the CPU is not running at the boost frq ?

Last edited:
Solution
Okay so final verdict is to buy new CPU.. bcs today I bought new RAM 16gb 3200MHz dual kit... But pc is showing 1200MHz, even when I enabled the X-something in BIOS for 3200 speed.. soo I did some searching and found this.. "For the testing we are using a Ryzen 7 processor, specifically the Ryzen 7 1700. AMD's official listed support for this processor depends on the amount of memory and the memory type. The short answer to this support is that when using one memory module per channel, the Ryzen 7 1700 is designed to support DDR4-2666, but when two memory modules per channel are used, the support drops to DDR4-2400."
So question now is, what will be the best procesor ? As I wrote earlier, will be the ryzen...
Hello guys,
My problem is that I have bought PC w GTX 1080 and another GTX 1070 that I gave my friend.. But thing is, that my PC as averaging much lower fps than the 1070 ...
For example we play together Tom Clancy´s The division on Ultra and my friend has 70-80fps with no shutter.. But my PC is making only 40-50..
I think the PC I gave him is intel i5 8xxx and 16gb RAM.
In my PC I have Ryzen 7 1700 and 32gb ram
I am using 27 WQHD monitor w 1440p..
Any idea what could be the problem ? Should I buy newer CPU ?

In order to compare performance: Are you both playing at the same resolution, with the same graphic settings? If so, What is it?

Run UserBenchmark and please post the result link.

Make sure you enable XMP/DOCP and that the memory is working in dual channel.

Also make sure you are using the latest chipset driver for you motheboard (look for them here: https://www.amd.com/en/support). Also it would not hurt to check the BIOS version is not too old.

Reactions: MikeTheGamer
Nov 22, 2021
In order to compare performance: Are you both playing at the same resolution, with the same graphic settings? If so, What is it?

Run UserBenchmark and please post the result link.

Make sure you enable XMP/DOCP and that the memory is working in dual channel.

Also make sure you are using the latest chipset driver for you motheboard (look for them here: https://www.amd.com/en/support). Also it would not hurt to check the BIOS version is not too old.

Well I was running the same resolution and Ultra settings as the other PC.. Than I read on web that 1080p is for GTX1080 low resolution that it would be better to use 1440p, so I wanted bigger monitor anyway so I bought better one.. And the results are still the same..
-----
I will post those results In about 2h when I get back home :)

And how exactly can BIOS version have impact on pc please ?

Reactions: spentshells
Well I was running the same resolution and Ultra settings as the other PC.. Than I read on web that 1080p is for GTX1080 low resolution that it would be better to use 1440p, so I wanted bigger monitor anyway so I bought better one.. And the results are still the same..
-----

It shouldn't have a real impact on performance, well it could be, but its unlikely this is the case Ryzen 1st gen. Unless of course theres some update in memory compatibility (that wasn't before and now allow you to enable XMP/DOCP on your particular kit) thats only available by BIOS update.

So its not a bad idea to keep them both update. Then again, try the userbenchmark test first, and worry about BIOS update later (and be sure to close all unneeded apps before runing the benchmark).

So to make things clear, you are now runing at 1440p ? And what graphic setting (low, medium, high, ultra)?

Whats the "performance overlay" that you are using ? Does it shows CPU and GPU temps while gaming ?

Nov 22, 2021
It shouldn't have a real impact on performance, well it could be, but its unlikely this is the case Ryzen 1st gen. Unless of course theres some update in memory compatibility (that wasn't before and now allow you to enable XMP/DOCP on your particular kit) thats only available by BIOS update.

So its not a bad idea to keep them both update. Then again, try the userbenchmark test first, and worry about BIOS update later (and be sure to close all unneeded apps before runing the benchmark).

So to make things clear, you are now runing at 1440p ? And what graphic setting (low, medium, high, ultra)?

Whats the "performance overlay" that you are using ? Does it shows CPU and GPU temps while gaming ?

Well as far as I know, this gtx1080 should be able tu run those 3-4years old games on Max setting so I am trying every game on max settings and yes currently I have 1440p resolution.

Performance overlay is the one from Nvidia GeForce I think it is showing temps, but I dont remember them now, I will run the benchmark and the overlay within the game and will make some screenshots so I can show you later. I should be home in 2h..

Well as far as I know, this gtx1080 should be able tu run those 3-4years old games on Max setting so I am trying every game on max settings and yes currently I have 1440p resolution.

Performance overlay is the one from Nvidia GeForce I think it is showing temps, but I dont remember them now, I will run the benchmark and the overlay within the game and will make some screenshots so I can show you later. I should be home in 2h..

No rush, just remember when you run userbenchmark close everything else, including nvidia overlay.

Reactions: MikeTheGamer

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
UBM wrote out incomplete, because the system didn't finish it. Neither the gpu, nor the storage finished their portions.
Heck, the cpu and background activity are the only things that look ok here...

Storage drives in poor health(high number of bad sectors), maybe overheating?
Gpu possibly crashed during its run? Or maybe not boosting, and running at unusually low clocks?
Ram was also only 12GBs free out of 32GBs... it shouldn't be nearly that low. It should've been closer to 26GBs free.

Reactions: RodroX
Nov 22, 2021
Yeah I found out that the guy I bought it from probably bought 2 separet RAM modules, both are Balistix but as SkyNetRising said one has different MHZ so I took one out to see if anything has changed.. SO THE TEST IS ONLY ON 16GB, sorry I forgot to write that earlier.. But there seems to be not much of a difference.. A can probably buy a new pair of RAM sticks but I think one 16gb 3200MHz clock will do fine... Or not ?
EDIT
Here I found old bench 5day ago
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47967536
Idk why it today wrote that it wont test GPU..

As other wrote already there few different things going on here. Having two different sticks of RAM sucks for Ryzen. Perhaps you should be able to use them in dual channel, put the sticks on slots 2 and 4, counting from the cpu to the right (in the image dimm 2 and 4: View: https://imgur.com/RWBEZtQ
). But yeah not been able to enable XMP will hurt performance too.

Also make sure you have at least 10% of your SSD as free space.

And there could be a bad temperature issue, have you tried to run the games with the side panel removed (be sure to not touch anything inside trhe PC while is ON!!!)?

Whats your case brand and model?

Whats your PSU brand and model?

PD1: You can check dual channel is enable by using cpu-z 64 bits (https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html, you can download the zip file, no need to install the app). You can see what it should said in this picture: https://www.profesionalreview.com/w.../saber-velocidad-de-mi-memoria-RAM-paso01.png

PD2: There something fishy on ththat AC picture, avg 27FPS while the GPU is under 99% utilization, at 77°C and runing at 1999MHz, something doesn't seems right.

Nov 22, 2021
As other wrote already there few different things going on here. Having two different sticks of RAM sucks for Ryzen. Perhaps you should be able to use them in dual channel, put the sticks on slots 2 and 4, counting from the cpu to the right (in the image dimm 2 and 4: View: https://imgur.com/RWBEZtQ
). But yeah not been able to enable XMP will hurt performance too.

Also make sure you have at least 10% of your SSD as free space.

And there could be a bad temperature issue, have you tried to run the games with the side panel removed (be sure to not touch anything inside trhe PC while is ON!!!)?

Whats your case brand and model?

Whats your PSU brand and model?

PD1: You can check dual channel is enable by using cpu-z 64 bits (https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html, you can download the zip file, no need to install the app). You can see what it should said in this picture: https://www.profesionalreview.com/w.../saber-velocidad-de-mi-memoria-RAM-paso01.png

PD2: There something fishy on ththat AC picture, avg 27FPS while the GPU is under 99% utilization, at 77°C and runing at 1999MHz, something doesn't seems right.

Yes i had the ram sticks in 2 and 4 slot, my motherboard is MSI tomahawk b450 i was trying to run it even with opened case, case is some Phanteks w glass on side and rgb.. I have like 5 fans, two in front one i back and 2 o top.
I dunno the PSU now.
And by fishy you mean what ? to high temp for low power, or low freq and low temp or ? Iam sorry I am not that good in this stuff.. Or the GPU should not be at 99% ?

Yes i had the ram sticks in 2 and 4 slot, my motherboard is MSI tomahawk b450 i was trying to run it even with opened case, case is some Phanteks w glass on side and rgb.. I have like 5 fans, two in front one i back and 2 o top.
I dunno the PSU now.
And by fishy you mean what ? to high temp for low power, or low freq and low temp or ? Iam sorry I am not that good in this stuff.. Or the GPU should not be at 99% ?

With fishy I mean, if you are driving a car on the street at only 20mph, you will be using only a fraction of the engine available power. You should not see the engine at 99% utilization.

Another example (really this is only an exmple), imagine you open and play a youtube video and suddenly your GPU is at 99% utilization. That should not happend with a GTX 1080.

When you can try to run cpu-z and while you are at it see if you can find the BIOS version, it should be in the motherboard tab.

Cheers

Nov 22, 2021
With fishy I mean, if you are driving a car on the street at only 20mph, you will be using only a fraction of the engine available power. You should not see the engine at 99% utilization.

Another example (really this is only an exmple), imagine you open and play a youtube video and suddenly your GPU is at 99% utilization. That should not happend with a GTX 1080.

When you can try to run cpu-z and while you are at it see if you can find the BIOS version, it should be in the motherboard tab.

Cheers

Will do and post update than and thx for explanation :)

I will also check the Vsync but i think i was trying that allready ... Turned on even off ..

Reactions: RodroX
Well, other than the old 2019 BIOS, and the 1 stick of RAM I do not see anything alarming.

I will try with both stick of RAM while making sure they are working in dual channel. And if you happend to update the BIOS, make sure to 1. Update chipset driver first, and 2. Make sure you download the correct BIOS and follow all instructions on the motheboard page and manual (and theres probably no need to go to the lastest one).

Be carefull of course, wrong BIOS updates can lead to useless motherboard.

Nov 22, 2021
Well, other than the old 2019 BIOS, and the 1 stick of RAM I do not see anything alarming.

I will try with both stick of RAM while making sure they are working in dual channel. And if you happend to update the BIOS, make sure to 1. Update chipset driver first, and 2. Make sure you download the correct BIOS and follow all instructions on the motheboard page and manual (and theres probably no need to go to the lastest one).

Be carefull of course, wrong BIOS updates can lead to useless motherboard.

Well thank you than.. I will try something and if anything changes, I will Tell you. :)

-----

Okay so what you are saying here is a clear indicator of slow ram or CPU bottleneck.
AS such check your ram speed a advised above. It seems most likely your friend just faster CPU or your ram is slow.
While your CPU is not dated it is older an is about a fast as an Intel CPU from 2013 when it comes to gaming.

Your resolution on the larger screen you purchased did not change your frame rate, this shows a system bottleneck! faster ram speeds will help a bit but a faster CPU will help a lot more.

-----

Okay so what you are saying here is a clear indicator of slow ram or CPU bottleneck.
AS such check your ram speed a advised above. It seems most likely your from just ha a faster CPU or your ram is slow.
While your CPU is not dated it is older an is about a fast as an Intel CPU from 2013 when it comes to gaming.

Your resolution on the larger screen you purchased did not cage your frame rate, this shows a system bottleneck faster ram speeds will help a bit but a fast CPU will help. Lot more

Nov 22, 2021
AS such check your ram speed a advised above. It seems most likely your friend just faster CPU or your ram is slow.

Your resolution on the larger screen you purchased did not change your frame rate, this shows a system bottleneck! faster ram speeds will help a bit but a faster CPU will help a lot more.
So you suggest to buy a new CPU ? in that case what would be not to much expencive but ideal for gtx1080 ?

So you suggest to buy a new CPU ? in that case what would be not to much expencive but ideal for gtx1080 ?

I believe your motherborad should work with a Ryzen 3 3300X (4 cores/8 threads) or if you can a Ryzen 5 3600 (6 cores/12 threads)

BUT! No matter what you do with the CPU you will still have the RAM issue. Not using dual channel hurt performance in games and productivity. Not using at least 3200 RAM does too (but in this case a little bit less than dual channel).

Okay, so new RAM and CPU. And what should be speed for ram. Will the 2400 will be enough or 3200 Is MUCH better?

The sweet spot is around 3200~3600 CL16 and make sure is a 2x8 or 2x16 kit so theres no issues like the ones you are having now with those two different RAM sticks.

I will still try your current RAM stick in dual channel and see if that helps with performance. Just make sure you slot them in the right place and then check CPU-Z to confirm dual channel is working.