Question gtx 1080 very low performance

"Very high background CPU (90%). High background CPU reduces benchmark accuracy. Find active processes with Windows task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC). "

Did you run this test with anything else open? Is this a fresh install of windows?

I would run a malware scan test and then double check CPU temps are ok. Then make sure idle resource usage is normal.

Jul 14, 2019
Just ran Malwarebytes, came back clean. CPU temps are between 89-95.
I only had battle.net app running in the background, which is low cpu usage.
this is not a fresh install of windows but recent. I cant figure it out.

Ram is due to the CMOS clear. The rated 3000mhz ram is actually running at 2133 now since clearing CMOS disabled XMP.
Turn XMP on in bios to get the ram fixed.

The CPU is underperforming due to thermal throttling still. How much of what thermal paste did you use?

Jul 14, 2019
I don't see much dust. the fan is spinning. I put on about a pea sized amount of thermal paste.

last night I tried turning on XMP and immediately had boot failure. Today I turn on PC and return all BIOS settings to default. The temps were then 50-60 Celsius. I then run a benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18467800 and had better results.
CPU temps during benchmark were 80-100 Celsius, and now remain at 90-100 Celsius. The cpu in benchmark was 17th percentile