[SOLVED] GTX 1660 Super causes entire system graphics output to be black, any ideas why?

Nov 29, 2020
Hey everyone,

I recently got an SSD for the first time (I've been on HDDs for my whole life and wow. The difference is unreal!), and I installed it all (had some issues with booting until I updated the BIOS) well.
However, after installing the SSD, when I tried installing my GPU, it doesn't show any output to the monitor (I use HDMI)! I've tried plugging the cord into the motherboard and the GPU but there's zero display once the GPU is plugged in.
It isn't an issue in Windows because this "no display" issue happens as soon as I power the computer on, I cannot see the GIGABYTE logo or the keys to enter BIOS, or anything!

I currently took the GPU out and put it in its box to be able to use my PC but I don't want to render a GPU I bought pretty much useless by having it sit around.

Any suggestions? Thanks for all the help in advance!
Note: I've confirmed power does get to the GPU (fans spin and a white LED indicator comes on, and my BIOS version is the latest one.

Specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
  • Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Western Digital Caviar Blue 250 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card
  • Ubit-AX200 WiFi 6 Card
  • Corsair 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case
  • EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
Edit: I've tried things such as CMOS clear or removing other expansions like my wifi card but it still doesn't work.

Last edited:
Solution
Hmmm.. I would've thought if the GPU can at least turn on and the fans can run that it has enough power to do its job (correct me if I'm wrong)

A GPU will not take the same amount of power at idle and at full load.

The recorded GPU power consumption of the 1660 SUPER through the entire range of tests carried out was 10 Watts at idle, a 98 Watt average under load, and a peak power draw of 129 Watts.
Nov 29, 2020
So,just to be clear, your system IS working with the gpu removed and just running on your apu?
Yup. Originally I'd thought I should disable the APU so it would work but that just led to a whole panic cause nothing was outputting (dumb move and one I don't plan to make again), but yeah, the GPU is removed and I'm running on the APU at the moment.

Reactions: kurdtnz

Dexxly_uk

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
I think it is the PSU you are running a Ryzen 3 g which uses more power because it is the Apu version and u have a 1660 try a 600 or 650 w psu but I understand that it is alot of money hope this helps.

Nov 29, 2020
I think it is the PSU you are running a Ryzen 3 g which uses more power because it is the Apu version and u have a 1660 try a 600 or 650 w psu but I understand that it is alot of money hope this helps.
Hmmm.. I would've thought if the GPU can at least turn on and the fans can run that it has enough power to do its job (correct me if I'm wrong)

The recorded GPU power consumption of the 1660 SUPER through the entire range of tests carried out was 10 Watts at idle, a 98 Watt average under load, and a peak power draw of 129 Watts.

Reactions: Kid I3uu
Solution

Dexxly_uk

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
That is right but it can still give fans power but not theGPU it's not broken but limited because all of it's power is devoted to something else eg mother board or CPU and even that the GPU can have fans on don't mean it has enough power for a display:D

Reactions: Kid I3uu
Nov 29, 2020

I see. That does make sense cause there's a big difference between just standing there and actually doing something!
With everything else that's been said, do you believe the issue would lie in the PSU too? Could adding an SSD have took whatever amount of power I had remaining?

Nov 29, 2020
That is right but it can still give fans power but not theGPU it's not broken but limited because all of it's power is devoted to something else eg mother board or CPU and even that the GPU can have fans on don't mean it has enough power for a display:D
Yeah that makes sense. I'm just confused on if the addition of an SSD was able to suck whatever power I had left

TRENDING THREADS