GTX 260 1.8gb or GTX 275 896mb

Status
Not open for further replies.

tstxvsni

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Hi i am planning to buy one of these graphic card for my PC intel i7 to run Aion online which one is better?

THx

notty22

Distinguished

NBGTX275-896MX-F_580.jpg

249.99 at newegg, available in 2 days. This model has a unique cooling solution that by itself sells for 50.00. Its performance is greater than ATI's 5770 and less than ATI's 290.00 5850.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134086&cm_re=gtx_275-_-14-134-086-_-Product

notty22

Distinguished
This is what the GTX 275 offers
# Optimized Graphics Performance
# ARCTIC COOLING Accelero TWIN TURBO
# NVIDIA® SLITM Technology
# NVIDIA® 3-Way SLITM Technology
# NVIDIA® CUDATM Technology
# NVIDIA® PhysX® Technology
# NVIDIA® PureVideo® HD Technology
# HDCP Capable
# Microsoft® DirectX® 10
# OpenGL® 3.1 support (Requires R190 drivers or later)

*Nvidia *features that NO ATI card can ever support.

Features & Benefits

* Get unrivalled visual quality and intense gaming performance and for today and tomorrow with support for Microsoft® DirectX® 11
* With ATI Eyefinity technology get the ultimate immersive gaming experience innovative ‘wrap around’ multi-display capabilities2,4
* Tap into the massive parallel processing power of your GPU with ATI Stream technology and tackle demanding tasks like video transcoding with incredible speed3,5
* Feel the brute strength of more than 2 teraFLOPS plowing through the most demanding games
* Experience the speed, responsiveness and performance of ultra-high bandwidth GDDR5 memory
* ATI CrossFireX™ technology with multi-GPU support offers advanced scalability6

notty22

Distinguished
It was all in gest, .

The OP needs to way in on, ~why~ these are his choices. Often its because these two models are available to him at different prices than what we know as current at the popular American e-tailers?

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

# Optimized Graphics Performance
Of course, the 5850 isn't optimized at all.

# ARCTIC COOLING Accelero TWIN TURBO
Vapor-X iz leet?

# NVIDIA® SLITM Technology
CrossFireX?

# NVIDIA® 3-Way SLITM Technology
CrossFireX?

# NVIDIA® CUDATM Technology
This is properiatry, like ATI Stream.

# NVIDIA® PhysX® Technology
OpenCL/DX11 is more important

# NVIDIA® PureVideo® HD Technology
UVD 2.0 is just as good, plus 4-series supports bitstreaming 8-channel & 5-series supports RAW bitstreaming & protected audio path.

# HDCP Capable
I'm pretty sure most modern cards have this

# Microsoft® DirectX® 10
OMG! ATI cards have Microsoft® DirectX® 11

# OpenGL® 3.1 support (Requires R190 drivers or later)
ATI supports this too

Now notty, how's your fanboy rant going?

notty22

Distinguished
OP don't let the ATI droids bother you, you probably chose Nvidia because of Physx, it irks them to no end.'

edit: And if you have ever tried or researched ATI's efforts with software that mimics cuda cores transcoding/folding @home you will learn that it is buggier performing than ATI's drivers.
Those attributes mean nothing to me, but I have read countless posts from people addicted to folding@home,
lol.gif

The 275 is undoubtedly the better performer but unless you have a reason for sticking to Nvidia (i.e PhysX) the ATI equivalent is the better buy. The 5770 came out and competed w/ the 260 at first but when it became apparent that the 260 was the better performer, as the 5770 rose in price, the 260 went with it and then long past it. At $160 US the 250 was a far better buy than the 5770...but now it's at $210 which is ridiculously high.

I'd suggest perhaps a GTS 250 which for $99 is a great buy or $119 for the 1 GB version

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130539
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130538

Not quite sure why the 4850 tied with the 250 in THG's roundup last month and this month they dropped the 250 at the $100 price point.

Above that price point, and at least until next month, it's hard to pick an Nvidia card over a 4xxx or 5xxx card in the same price category, except of course where the choice is twin GFX cards.

It would help if we knew what resolution you are playing at now and what your plans are monitor wise for the forseeable future.

jezzarisky

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
WOW that is a whole ton of ATI fanboi-ism blowing through isn't there? DX11...there's what one...two games with it? and still most games are aiming at DX9 why? because the 360 is built on that, and a great number of gamers are still running XP why change a winning formula from the console to the PC? that just takes SO much effort to actually look better. As much as it pains me to say...until the next released console most developers aren't going to spend much of their time developing an enjoyable DX11 experience. So yes performance and cost wise ATI is holding the crown, but that is not what this thread is about, so hold it in.

3 games. As of tomorrow 4, as of 2 weeks from now 5... Spending a good chunk of money on a video card right now and forgoing the latest version of DX especially when the cards that offer it actually give you better performance for the money is simply a mistake. You can call that fanboyism if you like but it just seems like common sense to me and I say that typing on a computer with an Nvidia card just like my previous 2 computers.

jezzarisky

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
No you're right about the performance with the benefits for the future, but the amount the fanboys taut it about it as though it's much more than it is currently. Certainly as time goes on more games will incorporate DX11 as a major feature, and I was happy to hear AVP was aiming to have it as a major feature in their PC version of the game. But it's just that even when you have games that are still coming out (ei Assassins Creed II) only in DX9, the bragging of having DX11 just seems silly. In any case I guess I was more frustrated by the blind jingoism of a few of the posts regarding ATI cards. That's not what this post was about, he was asking which of two nvidia cards would benefit him with his online game. I will admit that if I were in the market for a new card I may jump to an ATI card depending on Nvidia's offerings next month.

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Ok so based on the original post the gtx 275 is obviously the better choice i pretty much say i would never go for a weaker card just because it has more memory,

So atm ati is the better deal so it's somewhat card to really recommend the gtx 275 when on newegg they only have 2 models left as they are unfortunately becoming end of line( i personally have a 275 =[ ) and both cards at 220 it's somewhat card to say why not just pay the extra 80 for the 5850, but i feel that the 275 would pretty well bet out the 5770

You could also wait and she how the market develops, aka the 5830 which will probably fill that gab between the 5770 at 160 and the 5850 at 300, and of course there's fermi which is suppose out in about a month, but that will most likely be out of the range your looking at

No product is perfect. If you look for problems you'll find them. Look for people having issues with the GTX 260, they are there as well. Both are good cards successfully used with no problems by many, many people. Decide based on price, performance and features.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

DX11 Games - 4
DiRT 2
STALKER: Call of Pripyat
Battleforge
Alien vs Predator

PhysX Hardware Accelerated Games - 16

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Crazy Machines II
Cryostasis
Dark Void Airtight Games PC
Darkest of Days
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (GRAW2)
Metal Knight Zero Online (MKZ)
Mirror's Edge
Nurien
PT Boats: Knights of the Sea
Sacred 2
Star Tales QWD1
Unreal Tournament 3
Unreal Tournament 3: Extreme Physics Mod
U-WARS
Warmonger: Operation Downtown Destruction

First DX11 Card - 5870 (23 Sep, 2009)
First PhysX Card - PhysX P1 (12 July, 2006)

Days PhysX card has been out - 1315
Days DX11 card has been out - 146
http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

Games/Days (Higher is better [More games everyday]
PhysX - 16/1315 = 0.01
DX11 - 3/146 = 0.03

Status
Not open for further replies.