GTX 480 vs GTX 600 series

mvitkun

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
I have been told repeatedly that even the lowest of the gtx 600 series,the gtx 660 beats the gtx 480,and the only evidence to why is that it has more cores,or that it's much more power efficient,etc.
while you could compare with older benchmarks performed they are likely to have bottlenecked the gtx 480 with the processor,comparing a gtx 480 with an i7 920 to a i5 3570k/or higher and gtx 660/670/680,is not giving it a bottleneck free comparison.it's like saying hey lets race,but wait you have to put on this 40lbs armor while you run since you're faster than me.
I've been looking around for the most equal benchmarks I could find to prove that the gtx 480 is the better performing card than the gtx 660,660 ti,and the 670,and not far off from the gtx 680.

and I feel that I've finally found a benchmark that has almost exactly the same conditions.
gtx 480,i5 2500k,8gb ram
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3YJmz32Clo
in the description he lists in his specs as using a gtx 280 for physX,but above that he states that the gtx 280 was not in his system when this benchmark was performed.

avg fps: 56.8 fps
max fps:92.5 fps

gtx 670,i5 3570k,8gb ram
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxHMrX56txk

avg fps:54.9
max fps:73.8

if any of you own this card and have an i5 2nd/3rd gen or higher feel free to contribute your own results.
the benchmark is here.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=2932

if you have any input on the matter feel free to give me your take on it.
from what I've seen,aside from a mild speedboost,along with a few features like adaptive v-sync,and much improved anti-aliasing,etc the gtx 600 series seems like a very small upgrade from the gtx 400/500 series for the flagship,single gpu,graphics cards.
although for the other graphics cards like the mid range cards,the 660,660 ti,670,it is a relatively large improvement.

and if anyone is wondering,this isn't spam this is simply something I was curious about since the gtx 480 went on sale recently on newegg for 179.99,with a rebate of $10,for an amazing total of $169.99,which was well within my price range.
though sadly it went back up to $230 on October 1st,then went back down to $200 on October 2nd.
if anyone wants to purchase this card for this great price heres a link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130759

The 480 is a beast it doesn't get respect because it's a loud power hog and runs hot but i think it deserves far more credit then it gets nice finds btw thanks for sharing but i think most are going to have allot to say about this and it's not going to turn out well just my thoughts maybe i am wrong anyway take care.

mvitkun

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011

yeah I agree,so far though seems like this thread being ignored,34 views compared to the 139 and 300 views of the threads posted after it xD,so I doubt anyone will have anything to say about it,let alone many people and say a lot.and I can respect that people want a more power efficient card,or one that runs quieter,or colder.but when they straight out they tell me,or worse when it's on a forum and they encourage somebody new to computers to go for the more expensive gtx 670,using logic that it's outdated and can't hold it's own against newer cards I start to question if they thought before they made their opinion known or if they just decided a while back to always use the "this is newer so it's better" logic.

Where the 480 really shines imho is on water once you put it on water all bets are off it still wouldn't hang with cards such as Asus Top 670 /680 i don't think anyway but if you thought it was a beast on air you ain't seen the real 480 you met his tame side lol put two 480 on water they just scream overclock me!!!

Here are some of Recon-UK's vids of the GTX 480....
920mhz
[flash=320,240]http://www.youtube.com/v/Xre8v6ykBB0&feature=plcp[/flash]
900mhz
[flash=320,240]http://www.youtube.com/v/K7GZPPB1Jbg&feature=channel&list=UL[/flash]

mvitkun

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011

well on water you could probably reach 1ghz with a good card,I've seen people reach 950mhz with good air cooling so 1ghz + should be attainable with a good watercooled card.and then it'd be probably on par to surpassing the gtx 680,in all but anti-aliasing.I think they didn't improve other things as well as they did the texel filtering,but the texel filtering improvement was huge,wish the pixel rate had improved as much as the texel rate though.

also I noticed you have sli gtx 670's,as well as the i5 2500k and 8gb ram,would you mind running the benchmark with 1 gtx 670 disabled?it's fine if you prefer not to as it's somewhat of a hassle.

mvitkun

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011

I saw this video too,and although this shows the power of the gtx 480 it isn't really comparable data since he didn't give avg,min,and max.woulda been a lot better if he had.
thanks for reading and commenting though.
by the way I really liked the thread you did on intel hd 3000 overclocking.

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008

Yeah, but his 480's aren't exactly typical.

They are overclocked highly and have custom cooling.

The 480 is still a great card it's no match for a 670 or 680 imo and i cant do bench stock for stock that's what i mean my bios has been modded and they are on water i would half to take them off the water and re flash to my org bios and take the card apart put things back stock i don't feel like doing all that sorry bro.

4745454b

Titan
Wait wait wait. To prove your point that the GTX480 is as good as the GTX680 you scour the net and come up with some random guys Youtube vid? Oh that's right, all the normal review places are part of the man, feeding us lies to make us upgrade our GPUs? Really?

While the CPU will have a part of the frame rates you get, its not a big one. Certainly not at 1080 and above. You could also look at the GTX570 reviews seeing as its mostly a GTX480 with a smaller memory bus. Considering how well the GTX660 does against the GTX580, its probably rather similar if not slightly faster then the GTX480. Why you would claim that the GTX480 is as good as the GTX680 is beyond me.

Don't get me wrong, older tech isn't useless. A GTX470/480 at $150 is a good deal. That gets you a 6870 these days if you are lucky? Maybe a 6950? I often buy used/older and still have a great time gaming. (I'm thinking about that GTX470 actually.) But I don't see the reason to kid yourself. The GTX480 is around the performance of the GTX660. Not the GTX680. Even if you used a IB CPU.

Lol!I told you this thread wasn't a good idea there will be more that question this in a much nastier way i would delete this thread if i was you.This is going to cause you more trouble than what ever your point of this thread was worth to you.

Albeit, I like the 480 in enthusiast hands due to its flexibility and raw performance per clock, but comparing it to a 680 is quite a statement. I know it can pass a 660ti and probably approach the 670(using stock clocks at reference vs an overclocked 480). Preferably, I would like benching on the same system, because the slightest change in versions or drivers can affect fps.

Your right you would need to bench on same system otherwise it will just be questioned i really think the mods will end up stepping in here as i suspect this is going to get pretty ugly though i certainly hope i am wrong and that doesn't happen anyway good luck!

neo_moco

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Well it`s easyer to just check this rezult wich has a direct comparison on same hardware (i7-3770K) in 20 games ... this is the summary but in some newer games the difference is much bigger : http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_670/28.html
The conclusion is very clear : in 1920x1200 gtx 670 is 28 % better , gtx 660ti is 20 % better , gtx 660 is 15 % better (need to search also gtx 660 and 660ti reviews on techpowerup). For future games on newer engines i suspect the difference will increase aprox. 10% making it about 38 % advantage for gtx 670 (both stock cards).

4745454b

Titan
It's not in my nature to be nasty and I hope I didn't come off as mean. But if you have to look all over for proof that you are right and you can only come up with youtube or wiki then you might want to stop and rethink your stance on things.

Edit: Forgot to say this is the nature of things. Last years high end is todays midrange. That a GTX480 is only around the 660 shouldn't be a big surprise.

I wasn't meaning you were being nasty just trying to help the OP from being TH most hated member that's all i recall a member who use to stick up for the 480 and look what happened with him if you even mention the 480 on this forum somebody bound to lose their mind and start stuff with you i think it's bs but it's the way it is most members on this forum give 480 no respect very bias members