Question GTX 660 crashes while playing "Tell Me Why" ?

Small_Tarzan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2015
Hello, so my friend has given me his old Gigabyte GTX 660 (and I gladly accepted it, since I couldn't buy a GPU due to the silicon shortage). I've cleaned it inside out, changed the thermal paste and slotted it in.
It was working like a charm until today when I experienced my first crash. I was playing Tell Me Why on mere 50FPS on High settings.
When the game crashed, I heard a disconnection sound like when you disconnect a USB drive, the screen turned off and after around 15 seconds, it turned back on.

Couple of notes:
I didn't face any crashes playing games like League of Legends, PathFinder: KingMaker, Sid Meier's Civilization VI or Siege Survival.
Nothing is overclocked.
Fresh thermal paste on CPU and GPU.
Nothing in the Event Viewer.

MSI AfterBurner reported 50 degrees Celsius on the GPU when the crash happened.

The crash happens every 5 minutes or so. I used to be able to play this game for at least 2 hours. (I'm localizing the game.)

System specs:
AMD Ryzen 3 1200
16GBs of DDR4, 2400MHz (Samsung Server memory, couldn't buy anything else)
512GBs of ADATA SATA SSD
Gigabyte GTX 660
ENERMAX NAXN Bronze 500W

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Okay - now I see it.

You responded to Bluzii (RTX 2060) - Thank you.

As for this thread/problem I suspect the PSU:

ENERMAX NAXN Bronze 500W . Age, condtion (new, refurbished, used....?)

Look in Reliability History as well.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance or close to being so would make the PSU suspect.

Small_Tarzan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2015
Okay - now I see it.

You responded to Bluzii (RTX 2060) - Thank you.

As for this thread/problem I suspect the PSU:

ENERMAX NAXN Bronze 500W . Age, condtion (new, refurbished, used....?)

Look in Reliability History as well.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance or close to being so would make the PSU suspect.

I was given this PSU, so I suppose it's been used previously. I'm not brave enough to test the PSU myself, even though I am qualified for it. I'll try to get my hands on a PSU tester, hope it's not too expensive.

In the meanwhile, is there any way to make use of the PSU I have at the moment? Should I underclock the GPU so it doesn't draw that much power? Because I suspect that's why the is potentially PSU "crashing".

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure just how much power would be "saved" per se.

Plus if the PSU is faltering then its' ability to even provide sufficient power could continue to drop.

And the problem continues with the potential for further issues.

I will defer to the Overclocking Community regarding potential tweaks and benefits thereof. Or risks and pitfalls as may be the case.

TRENDING THREADS