Question Gtx 760 went pop and now it doesn't turn on.

ewykkuld

Reputable
Jun 12, 2016
Hey there!
I bought this gtx 760 fromm a friend of mine that worked fine, i didn't really use it for much than just seeing how good performance i got for the price, (since it was from a friend)

I then tested a system (2700k, p67 sabertooth mobo and some corsair vengeance ram. I didn't really know the condition of the psu i was trying out tx400 something. Heard a pretty loud pop and system turned off. Now gpu is completely dead, no display nor any heat output. I have a multimeter that i could potencially use for testing capacitors or whatnot but what do you guys think made the pop noise? Since there isn't any heat output at all from the card (physically touching it, is the power delivery system dead? Is the core fried? All the other parts mobo/cpu/ram are alive and well, maybe a bad pcie 2x 6 pin? I did but it in my main rig that for certain does have a good psu, but the only readings i could get from my multimeter was at the 6 pin connectors that they did deliver 12v dc, but the card really doesn't do anything at all.

I am kinda just trying to see if i could find the dead component and soldering on a replacement to see for fun if i can fix it. Not a big loss at all by any means. Just interesting to see if i could end up finding the problem. oh and yeah, i cant see any blown components on the card, therefore the speculation that the core took the bat.

ewykkuld

Reputable
Jun 12, 2016
There isnt much use repairing an old gpu like that concidering how cheap a working on can be bought for. If you dont see anything visably damaged, the gpu isnt going to be easy to repair.
Yeah i understand, but it would have been cool to find the dead component and fix the poor thing. Do you know anything about measuring out the card? Like testing it with an multimeter to see where there is voltage and where their isnt? The core itself doesent get hot at all, so i plugged it inn pcb bare and started touching everything that is supposed to get hot, vrm's vram modules and the controllers, cant really feel anything, i see some 12 volt there and some 3.3/5v lines too. I would kinda need a datasheet for the 760, is that available for the puplic?