GTX 770 randomly stops working

seanfulmer

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
This is my first time posting on this site but it has helped me with many issues in the past. Sorry if i break forum rules or don't follow the norms. :)

specs:
Asus Z97-p motherboard
intel i7-4790k
MSI GTX 770
16 gb adata xpg v2 ddr3 1866mhz (8gb added shortly before issues appeared)
windows 8.1

This pc is relatively newer, just got it in august and have had almost zero issues until now. I started getting crashes while playing graphically intense games. some games ran fine and others would crash so I wasn't too worried about it. I did upgrade my ram before the crashes started but i hadn't attempted to play graphical games before that. One day last week I fire up one of the games that never crashes and bam 5 minutes in, computer crashes. The screens went black but i could still hear the game sound clear. I then reboot the computer only to see my monitors power on but get no signal. One monitor powered and then went to power save mode, the other stayed on and said a message along the lines of input not recognized. I called some tech support that I have under warranty and it basically led to them saying my GPU had died. Does this seem like a good answer? Or should I be more worried about the ram? Also could it be something with the motherboard. I really don't want to get a new gpu only to have it die months afterward. Thanks

blockhead78

Distinguished
black screen crash with audio still running is normally gpu or driver related

first thing to do would be uninstall the nvidia drivers, then get the latest drivers from nvidias website and install them

if it persists, go back to just the original 8gb stick of ram