GTX 970, Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMan_77

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Hi,

Based on suggestions from this forum I recently upgraded my graphics card from HD 6950 to GTX 970.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3G 6M (currently overclocking to 4.0.. after board recommendation)
Mobo: ASRock Z68 Pro3 LGA1155
GPU: GTX 970, 4GD5T OC (MSI)
RAM: 4x G Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBRL (16GB total, 4x 4GB)
PSU: Antec 650W EA-650 Green
Case: Antec DF85

Since installing the new card, I repeatedly get:
Event 4101, Display: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

I've searched the net, find plenty of people with the issue.. and plenty of suggestions on how to solve it.. none of them have worked for me.

I'm desperate, any suggestions on how to pinpoint the source of the problem, and then solve it, would be welcomed.

Some things that I have tried:
- Power options > PCI Express > set Link State Power Mgmt to Off
- Remove driver, with display driver uninstaller to be sure.. then re-install new drivers
- Make you've done Windows updates, run AV & Malware to be sure that's not the problem
- Also tried this suggestion, didn't help http://www.computertipsfree.com/fix-nvlddmkm-sys-blue-screen-bsod-error-in-windows-7/
- etc

Solution
This is probably happening from your GPU crashing, it has happened to me.
Maybe something is happening with the card not the drivers, the actual PCB and GPU not the drivers.

If this is happening while playing games, try setting the resolution a little low.

If it is happening while editing (Like video and photo rendering and editing) buy a workstation card or don't render or edit so much.

CreepyBobo346

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
This is probably happening from your GPU crashing, it has happened to me.
Maybe something is happening with the card not the drivers, the actual PCB and GPU not the drivers.

If this is happening while playing games, try setting the resolution a little low.

If it is happening while editing (Like video and photo rendering and editing) buy a workstation card or don't render or edit so much.

Solution

GMan_77

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Oddly enough this error is happening never in games, never in video editing.. happens while surfing the net including watching youtube videos, or even when PC left idle.

Does that give anyone a better clue?

sz0ty0l4

Distinguished
rma -> return merchandisa authorization, it means you take back your card and they give you another one or give back your cash.

You can try to check if your card is in the right pci-e slot, and also check if it's on 3.0 16x pcie-e mode because some mobo's pci-es can be in 2.0/3.0 mode aswell. check if the card's external power supply is connected well to your card ( if i'm right it need 2x 8 connection)

sz0ty0l4

Distinguished
i'm 90% sure that this is causing the problem, because your card is only compatible with pci-e 3.0/16x. However before you purchase anything you should wait till some other ppl confirms this, because i'm only like 85% sure about it.
I have the gigabyte gtx 980 wf3 and if i check the back of the box, it says " main features: bla-bla - PCI-E 3.0 -bla -bla ". Check yours and if it says 3.0 then it is needed i think.
Make sure the mobo you choose will support your overclock to 4ghz aswell, because you will need the overclock to get the full performance of the 970.

Wrong. That has nothing whatsoever to do with it. PCIe 3.0 and 2.0 are backwards and forwards compatible. Even most PCIe 1.1 slots are compatible although there is a higher probability of compatibility issues with 1.1 and it isn't recommended.

Most cards don't even run above PCIe 2.0 speeds unless they are under a full GPU load. If you run ANY GPU on GPU-Z you'll see it's running at PCIe 2.0 speeds until you click the question mark and load the card under stress in which case you can watch it change to 3.0.

That should not be an issue.

Start with making sure, manually, that you have the most recent motherboard BIOS firmware installed. If you have ANY Nvidia applications installed, or GPU tweaking utilities, uninstall them, and then run the DDU and install the most recent GPU drivers for your card as determined by the Nvidia website. Follow the directions here in the drivers section:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2492424/laymans-simple-guide-solving-graphics-card-issues.html

You can reinstall your utilities later. Also make sure to uninstall any AMD graphics drivers or applications that might have been installed prior to upgrading the card, AND, run the DDU twice. Once for Nvidia drivers and once for AMD drivers since you've had both types of cards and driver packages installed.

Also, what Gen is your motherboard as there are multiple versions of the ASRock Z68 Pro3 .

Status
Not open for further replies.