[SOLVED] Gtx 970 to 3060ti

edeboy

Prominent
Sep 1, 2019
I currently have a GTX 970 with an I7-4790 (non-k), would it be adequate for me to upgrade to a RTX 3060ti or will my pc bottleneck? I have a 1440p 144hz monitor

Solution
There is a common misconception that CPU bottlenecking only happens at 1080p. This idea has been widely propagated because this is where it is most likely to happen, but that is only because 1080p has higher frame rates than resolutions like 1440p and 4k do; running at 1440p/60 fps is just as hard on your CPU as 1080p/60 fps is. Your CPU doesn't care about resolution, that's your GPU's job, it cares about frame rates. The higher your frame rates, the harder your CPU has to work, increasing your chance of a CPU bottleneck.

When you play a game, your CPU requests data from your hard drive/RAM and renders certain parts of a frame. It then sends the pre-rendered frame to the GPU so that the GPU can do the portion of the frame rendering...
There is a common misconception that CPU bottlenecking only happens at 1080p. This idea has been widely propagated because this is where it is most likely to happen, but that is only because 1080p has higher frame rates than resolutions like 1440p and 4k do; running at 1440p/60 fps is just as hard on your CPU as 1080p/60 fps is. Your CPU doesn't care about resolution, that's your GPU's job, it cares about frame rates. The higher your frame rates, the harder your CPU has to work, increasing your chance of a CPU bottleneck.

When you play a game, your CPU requests data from your hard drive/RAM and renders certain parts of a frame. It then sends the pre-rendered frame to the GPU so that the GPU can do the portion of the frame rendering that it is responsible for which is then displayed on your screen. Thus, if your CPU isn't fast enough, certain types of games will overwhelm your CPU, causing your GPU to be underutilized because it can't begin rendering a frame until it receives it from the CPU. Because a RTX 3060 Ti is capable of much higher frame rates at 1440p than your GTX 970 is, you are much more likely to run into a CPU bottleneck than before.

Thus, you can upgrade to a RTX 3060 Ti if you wish, and in some situations you will see a frame rate improvement, but there will undoubtedly be many instances where your RTX 3060 Ti will be being held back by your i7-4790.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Solution