GTX 980 Ti Classfied too hott?

ChriffeR

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
Hey guys I just got home several hours ago from Microcenter and installed my classified 980 ti, and after playing bf4 this thing hit 79c! So I set a custom fan curve and even at 75% fan speed it's hitting 70c!! and its super loud... Is this fine to you guys? Or should i run back up and exchange for a gigabyte/zotac/asus

Solution
You're worrying about nothing, and trying to go against the engineering design of the card. First of all, the GTX 980 Ti runs a little warmer than other Maxwell cards. The thermal threshold is 95c, which is the point at which it may risk damage.

The other part is that you need to understand how Turbo Boost 2.0 works on Maxwell cards. Turbo Boosts above your core clock speed are governed by a factory preset temperature target, called the Temp Limit in PrecisionX. For your card that temp target is 84c. This is the temperature that your card attempts to seek out and maintain as a part of its normal operation. Above this temperature, your card will dial back on the Turbo Boost clocks and increase fan speeds. Below 84c your card will...
I don't have the classified, I have the FTW edition. But I don't find them loud. I also have a reference model, which makes a lot more noise than my custom PCB cards. 79 C sounds normal to me. My reference model gets as hot as 84 C, and it doesn't throttle. I believe it would throttle if it went above 84 though. The temperatures you're reporting don't concern me, but the noise does. When you say it's super loud, that sounds wrong to me. Or is it possible that you're sensitive to noises from your build?

ChriffeR

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
I may be sensitive because my old 7950 never went above 63c ( I put new thermal on it ) and fan speed even at 50% wasn't noticeable.. Maybe I'm finding reasons to excahnge it because deep down inside, I prefer the look of the asus or the zotac! LOL

Well I think you should get the graphics card that your heart desires. It's a lot of money, and you should get what you want. To many people a EVGA 980 Ti Classified is their dream card. If you think that card is loud, you should look up a YouTube video of a 980 Ti with reference cooler at 100%. Sounds like a floor fan when it's going full force.

ChriffeR

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
yeah LOL I know the references are loud, I just played BF4 @ 75% fan speed, it was running at 70c which just seems incredibly high for that much fan speed! I have a buddy from Microcenter and he said that is too warm for a custom fan curve.

Ah. I wonder if it's your case's airflow, but if your buddy says that card is acting out of spec, then return or exchange it. Just out of my own curiosity, would you mind posting a photo of the inside of your case with the card in it? I'm just curious what it looks like, so that I can get an idea about the air flow.

ChriffeR

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
Bout to box up and go to Microcenter, waiting to see what you think if it's my cases airflow, I never had this issue with my previous card, and on air my 5820k runs max 58c @ 4.6ghz

Actually it looks great. Full ATX case with a fan on the back and top. I'm assuming that you have a SSD mounted behind the motherboard. Personally I would remove those two cases to help airflow and make the inside of the case look cleaner. But the presence of the cages does not account for the excess heat. I guess your friend is right.

You're worrying about nothing, and trying to go against the engineering design of the card. First of all, the GTX 980 Ti runs a little warmer than other Maxwell cards. The thermal threshold is 95c, which is the point at which it may risk damage.

The other part is that you need to understand how Turbo Boost 2.0 works on Maxwell cards. Turbo Boosts above your core clock speed are governed by a factory preset temperature target, called the Temp Limit in PrecisionX. For your card that temp target is 84c. This is the temperature that your card attempts to seek out and maintain as a part of its normal operation. Above this temperature, your card will dial back on the Turbo Boost clocks and increase fan speeds. Below 84c your card will increase Turbo Boost clocks in order to fill that thermal overhead and provide more performance.

So: 1) You're running at a temperature well below your temperature target, exactly as the card was designed.
2) You're probably running with some nice Turbo Boost clocks and not being limited by hitting your Temp Limit.
3) Messing with the fans is only going to increase noise, in order to attain an arbitrary number that's meaningless in terms of your Turbo Boost algorithms.

The recommendation is to put your fans on Auto and stop worrying as long as your temperatures stay below 85c. Your card is running perfectly as designed and a temperature of 79c on a highly factory overclocked card is actually pretty good.

Solution

ChriffeR

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
Wow well okay, LOL! I guess I'm not used to Turbo Boost? My 7950 never got above 62c even with a max overclock on AIR. I'm comparing it to all the other 980 ti's. People with the asus strix 980 ti/ gigabyte and Zotac all run low 60's. My temperatures are on STOCK speeds I have not overclocked the card at all! Is this still okay? Also you have tons of knowledge I know you're saying it's fine and stick with it, and It makes me feel better you say that, but do you think the classified is a great card and would be a downgrade returning it for the asus strix or zotac amp?

A little more evidence to help make the point. Here's the EVGA GTX 980 Ti SSC+. Note that overclocking makes little difference, since temperatures are governed by the Turbo Boost Temp Limit.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_980_Ti_SC_Plus/34.html
temp.gif

I think you should keep the card. It's very nearly EVGA's top of the line. People get these temperatures all wrong usually. Anyone running a GTX 980 Ti in the 60c range must have incredible cooling and/or an open test bench, like most reviews use.

Everyone's system is different. As long as you stay below your Temp Limit, then your temperature is just a number.

ChriffeR

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
Okay, I will! I'm a nervous person all the time man.. I over think EVERYTHING I kid you not!! I'm like a woman with clothes honestly, but WORSE. I'll just turn off the gpu temp monitor hah!

ChriffeR

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
HEY! Quick question, side panel or not does it make a difference? I like to run without it because I can see into my build the whole time, also I don't have the two 120mm fans installed on my side panel anymore! I could install them and use them as exhaust or intake