GTX 980ti @ $650 USD = Overprice?!?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thehotsung8701A

Reputable
May 18, 2015
The GTX 980ti is about $150 overprice. It is not aggressive pricing regardless of how expensive the Titan X is. The Titan X is overprice garbage and should not be compare in price to the GTX 980ti. This is great marketing by Nvidia to fool buyer into thinking they got a great deal just because the Titan X was the biggest ripoff possible.

Solution
Even with the new Fury X, you pay 650, but you can't max EVERY single thing out and still get above 60, or even playable framerates. You would need many shaders to even be capable of doing that. NVIDIA's pascal is estimated to pack about 5000 cuda cores with HBM, but that comes out in 2016. So no, none of this will be possible for a while. If anything, you can only OC to your desire.
Dude. Listen very carefully.

Because the dev's of those games did not hide the high end, these new cards are not able to hit 60 FPS constantly. If they hid the settings, then they would be able to. It is as simple as that.

1) Dev's hide high end settings. We easily get 60 FPS at 1080p with maxed settings.
2) Dev's don't hide the high end settings. We don't get 60 FPS at maxed settings and 1080p.
3) Dev's don't hide the high end settings. We adjust settings to our system and get 60 FPS at 1080p.

Optimization is not about how many FPS you get at any setting. It's about giving you the best image quality for the FPS you get. If they give you options for higher image quality than typically given, and your FPS drop some, that is not poorly optimized. That is not a slow video card. It is just a game that is demanding.

andyisvenom

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

i guess we will have to agree to disagree, im sorry but as i said before, if i am buying a TOP OF THE LINE ELITE THE BEST MONEY CAN BUY card, i expect top of the line graphics, which means everything on MAX. not lowering settings. ESPECIALLY at 1080p, if the card is designed for more demanding resolutions like 1440p or 4k.

its like buying the newest and fastest model ferrari and having to slow down on the highway, because the engine cannot handle 120 mph smoothly, when it was designed for 200 mph.

*obvious exaggeration in car speeds, but i couldn't think of a better analogy*

More like buying a Ferrari that goes 200mph, and finding out that there is a road you are allowed to go 300mph on.

The Ferrari is still one of the fastest cars built, even though there is a road that allows you to go faster than your car can go.

Are you really incapable of understanding this basic concept?

andyisvenom

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

more like you are blinded by nvidia
nice try, if were trying to be specific and compare , a 980 ti would be considered a bugatti.
"one of the fastest cars built" a 980 ti, isnt one of the fastest, besides the titan x, it is THE fastest card, which in some cases it is even faster than the titan.

i buy a bugatti, it states it is able to go 300 mph, but when i step on it, it struggles to do 200 mph smoothly,
i don't know what about that is so hard for you to understand,

your analogy is flawed.

looks to me like you are the one that cant understand such a simple concept,

or maybe you just don't want to accept the fact that these products are all very underwhelming.

I don't know why I bothered. You can't comprehend, obviously.

Last try. Were all GPU's underwhelming when Far Cry came out, because no single card at the time could play it at max settings and 60 FPS? Were all cards underwhelming when Crysis came out, because no single card could play it at max settings and 60 FPS? Were all cards underwhelming because Crysis 3 was unable to be played at 60 FPS and maxed settings when it was released?

They are just settings. The dev's making a demanding game does not make a card underwhelming.

It has nothing to do with Nvidia, AMD can't play them any better.

thehotsung8701A

Reputable
May 18, 2015
@ bystander and @ andyisvenom

I understand both of you guys points and I agree with both of you. PC games pushing graphic card to the max is a good thing but I understand that these GPU need to be better as well. Spending $650 or more on a top of the line GPU and unable to push it to max limit is disappointing. This was not the case a decade ago when you buy the top of the line GPU at that time, your able to push everything to the max above 60 fps. Who know if AMD and Nvidia are actually gimping their cards or not, but if every game is becoming something similar to Crysis 1, then I'm all for it as well.

Though I think a good price point would be $500 for a GPU that is twice the performance of a GTX 980ti, but that won't be for a while.

Even with the new Fury X, you pay 650, but you can't max EVERY single thing out and still get above 60, or even playable framerates. You would need many shaders to even be capable of doing that. NVIDIA's pascal is estimated to pack about 5000 cuda cores with HBM, but that comes out in 2016. So no, none of this will be possible for a while. If anything, you can only OC to your desire.

Solution

It's always a moving target. In 2016 when GPU's can play this game at 60 FPS, a new game will come out, and the dev's will push the GPU harder and it won't be able to do it on that new game.

It's a foolish man who has to max out every game developed.

jokerisdead

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Guyz Just for the sake if PC Gamer starts playing games in 30FPS with a high end GPU with same GFX like the consoles then what will be the difference. Theres's a huge difference from then and now the developers r getting aware of the Power of PCs that cn push the limits to the edge and getting the best of it. They r trying hard to make the PCs the best ever experience for playing games other than consoles. The GPUs avail in the market now r for every category of gamers they r all free to hv choice of their own. If U hv a enthusiast level card then u cn hv high quality of gaming. And the thing about optimization this depends on dev hands. How much it takes time to polish it. All we were waiting for GTA V and it is here with a perfect 60 fps plus it cn run from low to high end PCs without any problems. Optimization of PC games means achieving 60FPS at its best. We r all addicted of 60FPS smooth silky gameplay and if we play games in consoles we will feel the game is shuttering or lagging.

And about the price point of GPUs that depends on the market selling. How many of us cn afford a 980ti or Titan X? Not all of Us! thats Y the price point is setted to a level of gamers and the selling of the products. If U think the price point is not good then the main reason for this is the availability of other GPUs. If 980 ti is launched the 980 price were dropped they cannot just drop the price of 980 to the 970 level and discontinue the 970 coz of VRAM issues. They hv made every GPU affordable to all the consumer of every level. They just cnt sell their every GPU for 50 to 100 bucks then how they will make profit of it. Profit = 5xTitan X a week = 10x980ti a week.

Even if We SLI or Crossfire 100 of GPUs that also will not be able to achieve 60FPS perfect coz of Instant GEN Change. The Gaming Genre is changing Every Second and after the DX12 is released it will pickup more pace!