Question GTX1080 FE artifacting

Oct 4, 2020
My gtx 1080 is getting some weird artifacts sometimes, any hope of fixing it?

Hey ya'll. I bought a gtx 1080 FE from a guy, he did tell me it artifacts when pushed. The first day I got it, I just installed some games and played a few minutes of doom 2016, things looked fine. Next day, played csgo for 2 hours, all fine, then updates drivers, played doom eternal for like 30 minutes, all fine again, then played among us with friends for like 2hrs. During the last game , it decided to artifact hard when the voting phase was ending and fading to "x was ejected" screen. After some panic and restarts, it worked fine again and I got back to playing some doom eternal. Played for 30 mins ish and when a level ended and a cinematic screen just started (another place of the map rather than where I was when I finished) , it artifacted again. Hard. Both times the screen stopped and made a grid of green clusters with normal things in between. Considering the moments of artifacting, it looks like a vram issue to me. Any clues on what I can do to hopefully fix it? If it artifacted in among us I don't want it to do the same thing in csgo matches.
Specs: Ryzen 7 1700
16gigs 3200mhz cl14 ram (FlareX, B-die iirc)
Asus crosshair 6
Rosewill Capstone-m 750w 80+G psu (I'm pretty sure its not a psu issue)
Corsair neutron gtx ssd, with windows 10 pro and csgo on it.
Wd 1tb hdd. Other games on this boi.
And lastly, the GTX 1080 FE.
Monitor is a Qnix qx2710. Bought it from a guy on r/hardwareswap. Monitor has no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
How old is fairly old? What temps do you see when the artifactings start? See if the issue crops up at reduced resolutions? You might also want to use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstall them with the latest found off of Nvidia's support site. When installing, install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

As an added measure, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard and if you're not on version 2004 for Windows 10, make sure you're on it.

Oct 4, 2020
How old is fairly old? What temps do you see when the artifactings start? See if the issue crops up at reduced resolutions? You might also want to use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstall them with the latest found off of Nvidia's support site. When installing, install the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

As an added measure, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard and if you're not on version 2004 for Windows 10, make sure you're on it.
Thanks for the response. The psu is 5 yrs old. Temps aren't super high, 65 iirc when the doom eternal artifact happened, and I wasn't monitoring for among us, but I can't imagine it being for than 45-50. I'll try doing what you've suggested.

Oct 4, 2020

Ok so I tried reinstalling drivers and dropping the resolution to 1080p from 1440p. This time it didn't artifact, but doom did freeze after some playing. Temps were at 74 when that happened. Should I maybe consider repasting it and checking if there's any physical damage on the pcb?