GTX480 / GTX470 Reviews and Discussion

Page 48 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Why would you point to that Metro test when you know that nVidia has an issue with AAA in Metro?
Why even run AAA when 4XAA was shown to offer superior IQ?

The biggest problem for those tests at high res w/ 8XAA is the lack of 2GB models to compare to as well. It seems more like a memory limitation on the HD5K series they chose rather than a scaling issue.

notty22

Distinguished
It was to show the scaling of 2 way sli vs 3 way sli. IMO that test is valid , because in normal quality there is no 'bug,issue' and produces similar scaling. Is that good or bad scaling ?
45 fps for 1 gtx 480
86 fps for 2 gtx 480
112fps for 3 gtx 480
benchmark

We proceeded to attempt to verify the problem on our equipment, and we were successful. It certainly appears that there is a problem on the GTX 480/470 that causes diminished visual quality in Metro 2033 in certain rendering modes. Consider the following screenshot:
Looking a little further, we configured both video cards down to the "High" Quality setting, which produced the screenshot comparison below.
The difference vanishes. So this issue is specific to the "Very High" Quality setting, which lead us initially to believe that AAA or some other shader or effect used with the "Very High" setting. http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/04/06/metro_2033_image_quality_followup
scaling , where there might be IQ 'issues'
benchmark

How can scaling be the same when one isn't doing the AAA? And it's interesting how those results don't match other sites, convenient there's not really a standard for it.

Plus, It still doesn't address the lack of the 2GB models.

But sure if you need to rely on a flawed implementation from some random B-grade site, don't let something like a known flaw stop you, it didn't stop them in their obvious high quality testing methods. :kaola:

astropaulo

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Which of the manufacturers makes the best 480, or are they all pretty much the same? Seems like 5 or 6 companies have their names on them now.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
bfg, evga
asus
pny, gigabyte, msi, zotac, galaxy, palit

i think i got all of them but really imo it's bfg or evga all the way lol it's why you buy nvidia card for parnter deals on ***.

it's all currently should be the same chip on the same board with the same cooler only diff is what the factory clock is set at and what is the warranty in your area among with service.

From my point OF Veiw:

1. Asus. Evga. BFg.

2. Gigabyte.

3. Pny, Zota, Point FO View, INNO 3D.

4. Nothing here realy.

5. Same here.

6. Palit, and all thier brands such as Galaxy. (Palit had recived such a bad reputatuion, they created Galaxy and hoped that no one would figure out that they are owned and opertaed by Palit)

RealityRush

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
They all make the exact same card as of right now... the only difference between brands right now is the warranty and RMAing policies from each company, which is up to you to decide what is best for you.

I've been a big fan of BFG and ASUS myself.

RealityRush

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

?? Vanilla 480 is still like $520 and the 470 is $370.....

That's a pretty small increase actually in the grand scheme of things...

ATI's cards went up a lot higher at launch... although, I expect nvidias to keep going a bit higher as well >.<

RealityRush

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

In 4 weeks their mainstream cards are supposed to being coming out and demand for the 470s/480s should drop off a bit due to that and people already owning cards..... I imagine the prices will go back down if anything...

If it's a crippled GTX470 it'll be between the 5850 and 5830.
If it's a new arch it'll be a 5830.

Why not leave it as a crippled 470? Power consumption will be high still, as well as heat for its class.